WIN/OS2: What exactly does "separate session" mean?

WIN/OS2: What exactly does "separate session" mean?

Post by Jeremy Mathe » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 03:04:14

I'm trying to get a better grasp for what exactly is meant when it is
said that WIN/OS2 apps can either run in a single or in separate sessions.

Here are my experimental results.  I run various combinations of Windows
apps and observe what PSPM2 displays (PSPM2 displays all running
processes - although for DOS apps (including Win apps), it only shows
the name as "zombie").  Note: Below I am starting these apps from the
"Windows Programs" group created during installation.  This is all
running Warp on a 486, with Windows installed on HPFS via WSETUP.

        1) If I open up Prog Man and then run one or more Win apps from
           there (Write, Sol, etc), it only shows up as one process in PSPM2.
           I.e., all of them seem to be running as one single DOS
           window/process.

        2) However, if I start up, say, Write, directly, and then start
           up, say, Sol, both running seamless, it shows up as 2
           processes in PSPM2.  Neither of these objects has either
           Enhanced mode or separate session checked.

My understanding was that in the later case, both apps would run "in the
same session" (even though they are running seamless).  This is the
basis of the "Fastload" option in Warp (and the various "seamless"
shareware gadgets).

Enlightenment, please!

                        "Life is a tragedy for those who feel,
                         and a comedy for those who think."
                                                -- Jean de la Bruyere --

          hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, every time he posts -
rwvpf wpnrrj ibf ijrfer

WIN/OS2: What exactly does "separate session" mean?

Post by Dan Bru » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 05:56:39

When you double click on the Program Manager icon this starts and Windows
session.  That session to the OS/2 kernel is one task.  When you start up
an application inside the Program Manager you are still running within the
same session that the Program Manager occupies.

When you engage a windows application from the OS/2 desktop you will start
up another windows session, now the OS/2 kernel sees two tasks:  Program
Manager, and the application engaged from the desktop.  Please note when you
right mouse click on an icon on the OS/2 desktop you will see a popup menu
where you will see a Settings option.  The Settings option will allow you
to control the enviroment of the application.
will have to finish later

Post by David Shephe » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 19:05:36

: When you double click on the Program Manager icon this starts and Windows
: session.  That session to the OS/2 kernel is one task.  When you start up
: an application inside the Program Manager you are still running within the
: same session that the Program Manager occupies.

: When you engage a windows application from the OS/2 desktop you will start
: up another windows session, now the OS/2 kernel sees two tasks:  Program
: Manager, and the application engaged from the desktop.  Please note when you
: right mouse click on an icon on the OS/2 desktop you will see a popup menu
: where you will see a Settings option.  The Settings option will allow you
: to control the enviroment of the application.
: will have to finish later

Almost .... I think when you run a windows app from the OS/2 desktop
(i.e. not from a windows program manager) then

1) If the app is marked as "seperate session" in its settings it
starts a new session for it

2) If not then it looks to see if there is an existing windows session
which is:
 a) not running an app marked as "seperate session", and
 b) has "compatible settings" - i.e. same mode, ATM on/off in same state,
    same sound card required/not required setting

 if it finds such a session then the app runs in that windows session

3) failing this it starts a new windows session which can then be used
   by subsequent windows apps if the criteria in 2) are met.

N.b. important thing to note (especially relevant to fastload) - you
need to get (at least) mode, ATM and soundcard to be "compatible" before
an app will share a windows session. If you get it wrong you can find
you start a windows session with fastload that no other windows
programs ever can use !

                               david shepherd
 SGS-THOMSON Microelectronics Ltd, 1000 aztec west, bristol bs12 4sq, u.k.

               www: http://www.inmos.co.uk/~des/welcome.html
       "whatever you don't want, you don't want negative advertising"

1. Exactly what do you mean by "XGA-2 provides no VGA under DOS"?

The new XGA-2 card from Cat'sEye sounds really neato and I'd love to
get one, but I'm confused about one thing. Several postings have made
reference to there not being VGA capability within that card. Is this
true?

In other words, let's say I get my local clone-maker to build me an
80486DX/33 computer with no video in it except for a Cat'sEye XGA-2 card.
Now I intend to put OS/2 on this machine the day it is built and go
forward from there, but let's say I want the fallback available of buying
MS-DOS (or IBM DOS or whatever) and booting it for some reason.

I take it from the postings I've seen that DOS will not boot up and put a
C:> prompt on my monitor if the Cat'sEye is my video controller, right?
What would I need to have in the system to get that VGA C:> prompt when I
boot DOS without OS/2? Some piece of "driver" software in DOS? A seperate
VGA card?

Sorry to seem dense and maybe I should just call the Cat'sEye card dealer
and ask this stuff, but I'm hoping to get a straight answer from here
first. Thanks.
-------------------------------
Brent Hutto

2. some midi help

3. What exactly does "32 bit" mean?

4. Problem Creating User in VVMP after Upgrade

5. Best way to install "separate but equal" DOS, OS2, and NT?

6. Please help clear error

7. Having separate "groupings" of Win-OS2 windows

8. full-duplex conclusion? (SpeakFreely)

9. What does the "GA" mean in "OS/2 2.1 GA"

10. Meaning of "EQV" and "IMP" abbreviations

11. "DOS ERROR:14" in WIN-OS2 running Win 2.x app.

12. "Portable Sound" (tm) Problem in WIN-OS2 sessions

13. WARP 4 "ZOMBIE THREAD" running after WIN-OS2 session