OS/2 J.R.E. questions (Java)

Post by Brad Barcla » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I am relatively familiar with the Java language having tinkered about with
> a bit of java application programming and applets but I am confused about
> the JRE.

> I was under the impression that Java Runtime Environment (JRE) was Java
> 1.2 aka Java 2.  (I have never seen a toolkit or runtime for an OS/2 JRE
> on either IBM or Sun sites.)  When I went to download the latest fixes for
> JDK I notice that OS2JRE.EXE is one of the files in the fixes directory
> for the JDK1.1.8 update.  It was only then that I went looking and found a
> JRE.EXE in my \java11\bin.

> Would I be right in guessing that JRE.EXE and OS2JRE.EXE here mean
> something completely different from JDK1.2 aka Java Runtime Environment ??

    "JRE" does not now, nor has it ever refered to any specific version of
Java.  The term "JRE" has been around since Java v1.0, and refers to a
standard environment that is capable of executing Java bytecodes.  Nothing
more.

    There are JRE's available for a variety of Java API levels.  On OS/2, the
latest available is v1.1.8 (30/12/1999).

Brad BARCLAY

1. OS/2 J.R.E. questions (Java)

I am relatively familiar with the Java language having tinkered about with
a bit of java application programming and applets but I am confused about
the JRE.

I was under the impression that Java Runtime Environment (JRE) was Java
1.2 aka Java 2.  (I have never seen a toolkit or runtime for an OS/2 JRE
on either IBM or Sun sites.)  When I went to download the latest fixes for
JDK I notice that OS2JRE.EXE is one of the files in the fixes directory
for the JDK1.1.8 update.  It was only then that I went looking and found a
JRE.EXE in my \java11\bin.

Would I be right in guessing that JRE.EXE and OS2JRE.EXE here mean
something completely different from JDK1.2 aka Java Runtime Environment ??

Can someone explain it to me ?

Nev..

remove the xxx from email address to reply
blame the spammers for the inconvenience

2. PPI 14.4K Pocket Modem : FS

3. Installing Java 1.2 JRE

4. Q: telnet only for root

5. Java, Java and more Java questions?

6. Putting Autocad out to pasture

7. Basic JRE question

8. Any Koza decision Tree based GP source code, better if in Java?

9. JDK/JRE 1.2 for OS/2

10. jre 1.2 for OS/2 warp 4

11. JRE for OS/2

12. Free for OS/2 Developers - Java for OS/2 and OS/2 for Java Initiatives

13. Question about Java and OS/2