Enhanced editor assigned as system editor

Enhanced editor assigned as system editor

Post by epa.. » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to assign the enhanced editor as the system editor?

Paul

Post by Douglas Lee Hendri » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to assign the enhanced editor as the system editor?

Try this under properties->associations
See if it is associated to *.*
Remove this and give it to the Enhanced System Editor.

e.exe has an nice short load time but I am getting tired of:

1) No line numbers.
2) No printing capabilitites.
3) That damn file type dialog box.

In Warp 4, epm.exe is actually a very powerfull AND nice looking
editor now. It takes a little while to load but thats the price
you pay for all the power it provides, almost in the ranks of emacs.
In fact, in some ways it is much more powerful than emacs.

--
  _____

|       |  Department of Physics and Astronomy
^^ (o)(o)  University of California, Irvine
C   ,---_)
 /_____\   http://www.solarsystems.com/products/frontier
/_____/ \

Enhanced editor assigned as system editor

Post by Will Ro » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

[...]
: In Warp 4, epm.exe is actually a very powerfull AND nice looking
: editor now. It takes a little while to load but thats the price
: you pay for all the power it provides, almost in the ranks of emacs.
: In fact, in some ways it is much more powerful than emacs.

Load it on startup with /i, and it will run in the background.

Will

Enhanced editor assigned as system editor

Post by John Mark Clayt » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Isn't there an environment variable that will allow
the user to specify a new system editor?

Mark

Enhanced editor assigned as system editor

Post by Phil Cro » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Isn't there an environment variable that will allow
>the user to specify a new system editor?

>Mark

SET EDITOR=myeditor.exe

I'm not sure this changes the default system editor, but this is what
Devcon says to use to set the editor it uses.

To set the default system editor to something other than e.exe,
open the Utils folder, the the Properties for the "OS/2 System Editor",
and type in a name of your editor you want to use.

I always change mine to eed.exe (after renaming e.exe to eed.exe),
because I use e.cmd for something else.

--
Phil Crown

http://web2.airmail.net/pcrown/

Post by Bill Curra » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: Does anyone know how to assign the enhanced editor as the system editor?

I have a rexx exec from Mike Lamb that will swap the default editor.
Here is the preamble:
 /* SWAPEDIT.CMD: Sample code using REXXUTIL function calls
 /*
 /* Swaps the OS/2 System Editor (E) with the Enhanced Editor (EPM).
 /*
 /* Enter: SWAPEDIT  for more information
 /*
 /* Mike Lamb: MIKELAMB/KGNVMC / 30NC/370 Neighborhood Rd
 /* ISSC MHV - Solution Center / Kingston NY 12401
 /* Version 1.0

If you can't find this exec out there - I'll post a copy. Let me know.

--
Bill Curran                                Sysprog - MVS OS/2 xNIX WINx DOS

http://www.freenet.hamilton.on.ca/~aa131   All Standard Disclaimers Apply

Post by Larry Margol » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Does anyone know how to assign the enhanced editor as the system editor?

What do you mean by "assign"?  If you have a program that's
hard-coded to call E.EXE, the only solution is to rename E.EXE to
something like SYSED.EXE, and then copy EPM.EXE to E.EXE.  If you
want to change the default associations, so double-clicking on a
text file, "plain file", etc. brings up EPM, try the following:

To reassign the default for Plain files, etc., from the System Editor
to the Enhanced Editor (better known as EPM), open the folder
containing the program references for both (OS/2 System / Productivity
for Warp 3 & before; Programs / Utilities for Merlin); open the
Properties from each; go to the Associations page; remove each
association from the System Editor and add it to the Enhanced Editor;
close both folders, and you're all set.

--

Post by Phil Cro » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>To reassign the default for Plain files, etc., from the System Editor
>to the Enhanced Editor (better known as EPM), open the folder
>containing the program references for both (OS/2 System / Productivity
>for Warp 3 & before; Programs / Utilities for Merlin); open the
>Properties from each; go to the Associations page; remove each
>association from the System Editor and add it to the Enhanced Editor;
>close both folders, and you're all set.

All you have to do is open the system properties for the "OS/2 System
Editor" and change the name from \os2\e.exe to something else.

--
Phil Crown

http://web2.airmail.net/pcrown/

1. OS/2 system editor and enhanced editor has copy and paste size limit why?

Why does os/2 system editor and enhanced editor have a copy and paste
size limit.  This reminds me of my window 3.1 day.  Does anyone know
if the new enhanced 6.03a version also has this copy and paste size
limit?  Please email and post.

Running OS/2 Warp Connect and NT 3.51

2. Anybody know ???

3. BETA: Enhanced E & Enhanced EE Editors v.05

4. FS: Various Sun

5. Enhanced Editor crashes my system all the time

6. Memory key problem

7. System Crashes caused by Enhanced Editor

8. Lisp Routine Thought

9. NEW RELEASE: CEDIT 1.1 Norton Editor compatible text editor

10. Andy's Editor - small, powerful folding editor avail

11. Editors ? The MIX editor

12. Disk editor (sector editor)?

13. Enhance Enchanced Editor (EPM)