GURU question: faking the "ver" command response

GURU question: faking the "ver" command response

Post by Christoph » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am trying something that may or may not work.  I am happily runing Warp
v3 (red spline) and want to install tcp/ip from the bonus pack of v4
(merlin).  I don't want to run merlin because it's jsut too gosh darned
slow (pardon my language.)  I created install disks using the bonus pack
from merlin and attempet installation.  i got a message saying "unable to
find OS/2 4.0 base system."  My _guess_ is, if I can fool the system into
thinking I've got v4, I'm in.  Only problem is, I don't knwo how to do
this.  any suggestions out there?

TIA

Chris

GURU question: faking the "ver" command response

Post by Annie K » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I am trying something that may or may not work.  I am happily runing Warp
>v3 (red spline) and want to install tcp/ip from the bonus pack of v4
>(merlin).

 Tcp-ip isn't part of the Bonus Pak in Warp 4.

Quote:>I don't want to run merlin because it's jsut too gosh darned
>slow (pardon my language.)  I created install disks using the bonus pack
>from merlin and attempet installation.  i got a message saying "unable to
>find OS/2 4.0 base system."  My _guess_ is, if I can fool the system into
>thinking I've got v4, I'm in.  Only problem is, I don't knwo how to do
>this.  any suggestions out there?

 I don't know if the install looks at syslevel.os2, or "ver." If all you
need  is dial-up tcp-ip, why not just use Warp 3's?

GURU question: faking the "ver" command response

Post by Ezra » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Christopher

Quote:

> I am trying something that may or may not work.  I am happily runing Warp
> v3 (red spline) and want to install tcp/ip from the bonus pack of v4
> (merlin)

Use the TCP/IP that came with Warp 3 and upgrade it to the most recent
version of TCP/IP 4.0Xx from IBM's site:
http://service5.boulder.ibm.com/pspfixpk.nsf/
You will get a more up-to-date package than the one that came with Warp
4 and also get the ability to backout of the service levels if you need
to for some reason.  It might seem like more work at first, but this
method will probably save you endless headaches down the road.

Good luck.

GURU question: faking the "ver" command response

Post by Christoph » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Actually, if you go to the Merlin installation/bonuspack disk, you can
find an application for installing the bonus pack items, of which TCP/IP
is one, just like IAK was in v3.

I am not using this to connect to a LAN, not dial-up.  V.3 only comes with
dial-up support.

Chris

>>I am trying something that may or may not work.  I am happily runing Warp
>>v3 (red spline) and want to install tcp/ip from the bonus pack of v4
>>(merlin).

> Tcp-ip isn't part of the Bonus Pak in Warp 4.

>>I don't want to run merlin because it's jsut too gosh darned
>>slow (pardon my language.)  I created install disks using the bonus pack
>>from merlin and attempet installation.  i got a message saying "unable to
>>find OS/2 4.0 base system."  My _guess_ is, if I can fool the system into
>>thinking I've got v4, I'm in.  Only problem is, I don't knwo how to do
>>this.  any suggestions out there?

> I don't know if the install looks at syslevel.os2, or "ver." If all you
>need  is dial-up tcp-ip, why not just use Warp 3's?

>--

1. GURU question: faking out "ver" command

I have an interesting idea that may or may not work.  I am happily running
Warp v3 and want to install tcp/ip from v.4.  I DON'T want to run Merlin
beacuse it's just too slow.  i used the bonus pack from v4 to create disks
for installation, then ran the install prog.  I got a message saying
"unable to find OS/2 4.0 base operating system."  my guess is that if I
can fake out the install proigram into thinking this is reall v.4, I'm in.
any suggestions?

TIA

Chris

2. Brother laser problem......

3. I Have Some "Dumb" Questions to Ask You Networking Gurus...

4. sendmail 8.7.1 on Solaris HELO errors...

5. Umail and pop3d "guru" help question.

6. System Backups

7. New OS/2 user with questions about "fixpacks" and "CSD"s

8. DISTRIBUTED OBJECTS'96 - BRAZIL - SUMMARY

9. Question: The terms "HPFS" and "386 HPFS"

10. Filename "lpt7", "com1" and "nul"

11. Lost "Shutdown", "Lockup" & "System Setup" Options

12. command "del *.*" from command shell

13. CP/M command similar to DOS "mode" command?