Old version transfer 5.25 to 3.5 disks?

Post by willia » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:51:12

Just for kicks I purchased a copy of OS/2 1.1 on 5.25" floppies at
auction. I would like to transfer the set to 3.5" floppies in a way
that will allow me to boot & install from the new disks. Would DOS
xcopy do the job, or do I need some other software for this?

bill

__

Old version transfer 5.25 to 3.5 disks?

Post by Tim Clark » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:31:57

Quote:> Just for kicks I purchased a copy of OS/2 1.1 on 5.25" floppies at
> auction. I would like to transfer the set to 3.5" floppies in a way
> that will allow me to boot & install from the new disks. Would DOS
> xcopy do the job, or do I need some other software for this?

More than likely, but if you have a working OS/2 system, OS/2 XCOPY would be
better. Don't forget the "special" switches (e.g. /H/O/T/S/E/R/V ).

Tim

Post by Will Hon » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:32:54

Quote:> Just for kicks I purchased a copy of OS/2 1.1 on 5.25" floppies at
> auction. I would like to transfer the set to 3.5" floppies in a way
> that will allow me to boot & install from the new disks. Would DOS
> xcopy do the job, or do I need some other software for this?

Problem is going to be to get the bootable diskette copied as a
bootable disk - you may have a hassle with that.  Other than that one
problem you should be able to just use XCOPY.  You should be able to
futz around with SAVEDSKF and LOADDSKF to get that first diskette
copied.

--

Post by Jack Troughto » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:52:18

> > Just for kicks I purchased a copy of OS/2 1.1 on 5.25" floppies at
> > auction. I would like to transfer the set to 3.5" floppies in a way
> > that will allow me to boot & install from the new disks. Would DOS
> > xcopy do the job, or do I need some other software for this?

> Problem is going to be to get the bootable diskette copied as a
> bootable disk - you may have a hassle with that.  Other than that one
> problem you should be able to just use XCOPY.  You should be able to
> futz around with SAVEDSKF and LOADDSKF to get that first diskette
> copied.

Another workaround would be to use a machine with both types of
drive in it, boot off of the 5.25 and sysinstx (or whatever the 1.1
version of that program is called; never seen it so I don't know)
the other disk, then copy over the rest of the files. Making sure
the label is the same is probably a good idea as well...

* Jack Troughton              jake at jakesplace.dhs.org *
* http://jakesplace.dhs.org     ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org *

Post by Trevor Hemsl » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 04:24:46

> Just for kicks I purchased a copy of OS/2 1.1 on 5.25" floppies at
> auction. I would like to transfer the set to 3.5" floppies in a way
> that will allow me to boot & install from the new disks. Would DOS
> xcopy do the job, or do I need some other software for this?

No version of XCOPY will transfer the boot record across, you'll need
to find another method of making the diskette bootable afterwards.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

Post by Bob Eag » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:35:19

> > Just for kicks I purchased a copy of OS/2 1.1 on 5.25" floppies at
> > auction. I would like to transfer the set to 3.5" floppies in a way
> > that will allow me to boot & install from the new disks. Would DOS
> > xcopy do the job, or do I need some other software for this?

> No version of XCOPY will transfer the boot record across, you'll need
> to find another method of making the diskette bootable afterwards.

I did actually do this a while ago. The hard way.

I copied all the files across (hidden ones too). It was essential to
KEEP the hidden ones hidden. Then I used DOS DEBUG to copy the boot
sector. Then I patched the BPB in the boot sector to reflect the new
disk geometry (easy enough because the correct values were in the boot
sector just overwritten).

It worked....actually in my case I did it in the OTHER direction, onto
5.25 disks. I now have OS/2 1.0 running on a 2.5MB PC/AT!

Sad, eh?
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325; PS/2s 8595*3, 9595*3 (2*P60 + P90), 8535, 8570, 9556*2,
8580*6,
8557*2, 8550, 9577, 8530, P70, PC/AT..

Post by Trevor Hemsl » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:24:45

> I copied all the files across (hidden ones too). It was essential to
> KEEP the hidden ones hidden. Then I used DOS DEBUG to copy the boot
> sector. Then I patched the BPB in the boot sector to reflect the new
> disk geometry (easy enough because the correct values were in the boot
> sector just overwritten).

I usually use 'dd' since it's easier... it won't patch the BPB though.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

Old version transfer 5.25 to 3.5 disks?

I think that the IBM EWS savedsk or loaddsk has a switch for copying a 5.25" disk image to a 3.5" disk.

Post by Jerry McBri » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:04:51

>> > Just for kicks I purchased a copy of OS/2 1.1 on 5.25" floppies at
>> > auction. I would like to transfer the set to 3.5" floppies in a way
>> > that will allow me to boot & install from the new disks. Would DOS
>> > xcopy do the job, or do I need some other software for this?

>> No version of XCOPY will transfer the boot record across, you'll need
>> to find another method of making the diskette bootable afterwards.

>I did actually do this a while ago. The hard way.

>I copied all the files across (hidden ones too). It was essential to
>KEEP the hidden ones hidden. Then I used DOS DEBUG to copy the boot
>sector. Then I patched the BPB in the boot sector to reflect the new
>disk geometry (easy enough because the correct values were in the boot
>sector just overwritten).

>It worked....actually in my case I did it in the OTHER direction, onto
>5.25 disks. I now have OS/2 1.0 running on a 2.5MB PC/AT!

>Sad, eh?

SAD????

I bet it's a screamer! I will always miss the quickness of my 1.3 days...
Warp 2.0 was slower, Warp 3.0 was slower still, Warp 4.0... beautiful but
even slower yet and now... Warp 4.5... the broken legged dog of the next
generation...

That, my friend... is real sad.

:')

*                    Registered Linux User Number 185956                      *

1. Help installing WARP with 5.25 a: and 3.5 b: with 3.5 disks

I am unable to install WARP on my computer.  My a: is a 5.25" drive
and my b: is a 3.5" drive.  I downloaded the w5drdr.zip file from
ftp.cdrom.com://pub/os2/warp/sysutils.  Inside there were three
files.
        w5ds_d0.dsk
        w5ds_d1.dsk
        osin5bds.txt

I followed the directions specified in the text file.  When I booted
from the 5.25 floppies everything went fine until it asked for disk 2
to be inserted into a: drive.  This of course was a wee bit difficult.
So a couple of questions.
1) What are the two *.dsk files for?  And, what do I do with them?
2) How can I get this to work?
3) Can someone help me please?
--

 http://www.engr.uark.edu/~bdj
 GAT  d--(-) H-- s:- g- p? au- a- w+ v(?) C++(++++)(---) US++>+++ P--- L+ 3-

2. PM Chart may be usefull afterall

3. making an os/2 5.25" install disk from a 3.5" disk

4. free software for research on wavelets

5. Installing 3.5" version of OS/2 on 5.25" A drive.

6. A-1200, Monitor, GVP1230+, CD-Rom(CD32 em), RKMs, etc.

7. have 5.25 install disks -- need 3.5

8. SCSI Squirrel, ZIP drive...

9. Copy 5.25" install disks to 3.5"????

10. 3.5" beta disks-what if A: = 5.25"?

11. Cannot read low density (3.5 or 5.25") disks in beta!

12. 5.25 to 3.5 disks

13. Changing from 5.25 to 3.5" A disk after loading OS/2