DOS window = Invisible Text???

Post by Steven Lora » Wed, 18 May 1994 09:17:53

        Hello, I'm having a strange problem with DOS window sessions.  To be
more specific, the window comes up scrunched and there is absolutely no text,
no prompt, no PC Dos title bar.  However, if I type 'exit' the window closes
like it should and I don't get any errors.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.....

-Steve

DOS window = Invisible Text???

Post by 482clif.. » Thu, 19 May 1994 04:54:53

>    Hello, I'm having a strange problem with DOS window sessions.  To be
> more specific, the window comes up scrunched and there is absolutely no text,
> no prompt, no PC Dos title bar.  However, if I type 'exit' the window closes
> like it should and I don't get any errors.

> Any ideas?

What video card are you using? I've seen this problem with
some of the newer Diamond cards using OS/2 drivers from
Diamond (to get SVGA modes). Also, I've found that
switching the DOS window from windowed to full screen
and back will usually get you to a prompt.

/d
--

DOS window = Invisible Text???

Post by Timothy Redmo » Fri, 20 May 1994 00:18:31

:       Hello, I'm having a strange problem with DOS window sessions.
: To be more specific, the window comes up scrunched and there is
: absolutely no text, no prompt, no PC Dos title bar.  However, if I
: type 'exit' the window closes like it should and I don't get any
: errors.

The text from the dos session is not displayed but the dos session is
accepting commands.

I had exactly this problem a while back.  What happened is that my
monitor died, and I had to switch from the S3 drivers SVGA mode to vga
mode to use my temporary monitor.  I have a diamond stealth and
followed the directions with the display driver disk.  Anyway, there
was much discussion on the net to try to determine what the problem
was and nobody succeeded.  There is a * workaround involving
either starting in full screen mode or switching to and from full
screen mode (I don't remember the detalls).  Anyway when I switched
back to S3 SVGA mode the problem went away.

Sorry, I have very few solutions but a little extra information.

                                                                tim.

DOS window = Invisible Text???

Post by Ron Pra » Fri, 20 May 1994 03:41:25

>:   Hello, I'm having a strange problem with DOS window sessions.
>: To be more specific, the window comes up scrunched and there is
>: absolutely no text, no prompt, no PC Dos title bar.  However, if I
>: type 'exit' the window closes like it should and I don't get any
>: errors.

>The text from the dos session is not displayed but the dos session is
>accepting commands.

>I had exactly this problem a while back.  What happened is that my
>monitor died, and I had to switch from the S3 drivers SVGA mode to vga
>mode to use my temporary monitor.  I have a diamond stealth and
>followed the directions with the display driver disk.  Anyway, there
>was much discussion on the net to try to determine what the problem
>was and nobody succeeded.  There is a * workaround involving
>either starting in full screen mode or switching to and from full
>screen mode (I don't remember the detalls).  Anyway when I switched
>back to S3 SVGA mode the problem went away.

>Sorry, I have very few solutions but a little extra information.

>                                                            tim.

Same thing happened to me.  I have an Orchid Fahrenheit VA board
with an S3 801 chip.  Using the OS/2 2.1 standard VGA mode,   I could
only get a windowed dos session by opening a full screen dos session,
then alt-home to get it windowed.  When I installed the IBM S3 drivers
(ftp'd s3_16m.dsk from ftp.cdrom.com) the problem went away.