Boot Manager problem

Post by Jim Goo » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I currently have a 500M IDE HD and a 2G SCSI co-existing in a 486
system.  The IDE is my boot disk with 3 partitions:  Boot Manager, DOS
(Primary partition) and a Logical FAT partition.  I am replacing a 500M
IDE drive with a 1G SCSI drive.  Warp 3 is istalled on the 2G SCSI.

When I go to FDISK to partition the new SCSI I can't select the "Install
Boot Manager" option.  It's always grayed out.  I am trying to setup
Boot Manager in the first 1M, DOS in the 50M Bootable Primary partition,
and a 950M Logical partition.

I can set up the 1M and 50M partitions as Primary and the 950M as
Logical partitions.  I can set the 50M partion to Bootable.  I cannot
Install Boot Manager.  It is always grayed out.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Jim G

Boot Manager problem

Post by Frank McKenn » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I currently have a 500M IDE HD and a 2G SCSI co-existing in a 486
>system.  The IDE is my boot disk with 3 partitions:  Boot Manager, DOS
>(Primary partition) and a Logical FAT partition.  I am replacing a 500M
>IDE drive with a 1G SCSI drive.  Warp 3 is istalled on the 2G SCSI.

>When I go to FDISK to partition the new SCSI I can't select the "Install
>Boot Manager" option.  It's always grayed out.  I am trying to setup
>Boot Manager in the first 1M, DOS in the 50M Bootable Primary partition,
>and a 950M Logical partition.

Jim,

I wrote a really nice explanation and then noticed I hadn't read your
message properly. <Sorry> about that (;-).

It sounds like you're trying to install Boot Manager on your new SCSI
drive with the IDE drive still attached, Try disconnecting it, or at least
telling the CMOS it isn't there.  That will (hopefully) make your new SCSI
drive the boot drive (ID=0 for Adaptec, ID=6 for IBM) and let you install
Boot manager.

Hope this helps...

Frank McKenney            / OS/2 Advisor (OS2BBS)
McKenney Associates       / Richmond, *ia / (804) 320-4887

1. HELP: Boot Manager Problems

Please help me.  My installation of WARP (from a CD-ROM) on my Gateway
2000 VESA system was interupted by a problem that I think is due to Boot
Manager.

When the system rebooted, I got the following errors instead of the boot
manager menu.

Drive 35 is not ready.  Press any key..

Error reading disk 4.  Press any key...

Then Boot Manager appeared without WARP listed in its menu of choices.

I then chose DOS and got the same errors as I listed above.  Dos started
with out
any problems.

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. hard disk drive

3. Boot Manager problems

4. FREE Y2K FIX/VIRUS CHECKING SOFTARE GIVEAWAY

5. Boot Manager Problem in Warp4

6. XSL Matched position

7. Boot Manager Problem

8. Problem with WebBrowser control

9. NT (Win2000) and OS/2, Boot Manager problem?

10. OS/2 Boot Manager problem in 30G HDD

11. Boot Manager problem

12. Hard Disk and Boot Manager Problems

13. Boot Manager Problem Help!!!