Type6 Keycodes under XFree86

Post by local Us » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I bought a Type6 USB Keyboard ( german layout ) for using it under
Linux.
The keyboard is really great, except is has one problem. I can't use the
special keys at the left side.( Stop, Again, Paste, ... )
Trying the original Sun Type5 layouts for X made the keyboard unusable.
Does anyone knows how to enable the special keys at the left under X?

My system:

- X86-PC under Linux-2.2.16 with USB-Backport from 2.4.0
- XFree86 3.3.6
( Distribution is SuSE 6.3 )

thanks

--
Thomas Gaertner
Brandenburg Technical University at Cottbus

Post by Sven Maschec » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 04:00:00

 > I bought a Type6 USB Keyboard ( german layout ) for using it under
 > Linux.
 > I can't use the special keys at the left side.( Stop, Again, Paste, ... )
 > Trying the original Sun Type5 layouts for X made the keyboard unusable.

The latest version of xkeycaps[1] doesn't support Type6.
Find the keycodes with xev(1), get the KeySyms from your old Type5-xmodmap,
build a new map with xmodmap(1) and modify it. [2] might be of help.

[1] <URL:http://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/>
[2] <URL:http://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_smasch/X11/Xmodmap>

I guess the xkeycaps maintainer'd appreciate your Type6 support ;-)

f'up comp.os.linux.x
Sven

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:08:14

|I bought a Type6 USB Keyboard ( german layout ) for using it under
|Linux.
|The keyboard is really great, except is has one problem. I can't use the
|special keys at the left side.( Stop, Again, Paste, ... )
|Trying the original Sun Type5 layouts for X made the keyboard unusable.
|Does anyone knows how to enable the special keys at the left under X?

Have you tried the instructions at:
        http://www.infosun.fmi.uni-passau.de/~nils/type6/
yet?

1. keycode of pressed key in a datawindow - keycode.txt [1/1]

Problem:
I've the problem to fetch the keycode within a datawindow.

I want to define a datawindow with the behaviour of a listbox.
For this the datawindow has the presentation style 'tabular'
and the tab-order of every datacolumn is set to 0.
By pressing a key (letter), the current row should become
that one, whose first letter matches the pressed key.
To scroll to the the corresponding row in the datawindow,
I use the function 'dwFind ( "letter = ..." )'.
I've declared a user-event "keypressed", which is mapped
to 'pbm_dwnkey'.

Now I want to know, how to get the correct keycode (ASCII).

One costly solution is to proof every potential keycode
with the function 'KeyDown'.

For example:

        IF ( KeyDown ( Asc ("A") ) ) THEN
                RETURN ("A")
        ELSE IF ( KeyDown ( Asc ("B") ) ) THEN
                RETURN ("B")
        ELSE IF ...
        END IF

Question:
Has anybody a better solution for this simple problem ?
Did anybody know how to find the code of the pressed key ?

--

"You'll never get a second chance for the first impression"
-- Hennes & Mauritz

2. Q:How to create plug-ins

3. problem for Keycode /p/install/keycode.rec

4. Help - Security for downloaded code

5. Keycode Diskette with keycode.kcd

6. Checklistbox, checked item lost

7. WTB - Type6 US keyboard

8. LISTVIEW sample program from Nancy Cluts's book

9. converting sun-type6 keyboard into a PC one

10. SUN Type-5 Keycode assignments???

11. Keycode Assignments for use by xmodmap

12. 'Windows key' keycodes