Openboot problem after a probe-scsi-all

Post by Brian Klem » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:46:06

Help!
I just did a probe-scsi-all on my Ultra1 after changing the CDROM and my
system hung. Now after a power reset all I get is:

Sun Ultra 1 SBus (UltraSPARC 167MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 3.5, 128 MB memory installed, Serial #XXXXXXX.
Ethernet address X:X:XX:XX:XX:XX, Host ID: XXXXXXXX.

ok

The Openboot prompt does not respond to terminal entry. Does anyone have any
idea what may have happened?

bk2

Openboot problem after a probe-scsi-all

Post by Gary Mastenbroo » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:56:12

Guess:
1.  Keyboard connector not attached to back of unit?  :o)
2.  SCSI connector on replacement CDROM got plugged in backwards?

Post by Adrian Bal » Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:49:20

> I just did a probe-scsi-all on my Ultra1 after changing the CDROM and my
> system hung. Now after a power reset all I get is:
> Sun Ultra 1 SBus (UltraSPARC 167MHz), No Keyboard
> OpenBoot 3.5, 128 MB memory installed, Serial #XXXXXXX.
> Ethernet address X:X:XX:XX:XX:XX, Host ID: XXXXXXXX.

This is symptomatic of the NVRAM battery having died - I admit I don't
understand how doing a probe-scsi could have caused this (it could just be
coincidence).  You can get a new NVRAM chip for about 15-20 UKP, and
they're quite easy to program.  (See
http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html)

Quote:> The Openboot prompt does not respond to terminal entry. Does anyone have
> any idea what may have happened?

If the NVRAM is broken, AFAIR the system will default to using the Sun
keyboard as the input device, so unplug it if you have one connected (or
use it with a graphics head).  If you don't, then we need to know more
about your config....

HTH,
--
Adrian Ball - Technical Consultant  || Tel: 07050 688565
                                    || Fax: 07020 965488

1. A1000 not found with probe-scsi-all

Hello newsgroup,

I've got a problem with a StorEDGE A1000 and the Enterprise 250.

When I "boot" the A1000 without SCSI-cables attached it goes up normal (1
harddrive LED keeps off, but the harddrive could be defect (was just moved
over the atlantic ;-) ). So far so good.

But when I attach the scsi-cable from sun the scsi-led at the back of the
a1000 starts shining orange and some harddrive LEDs don't turn green... The
terminator is of course connected and the scsi-id is also ok (well, I even
changed it several times, just to be sure... *g*). And that even when the
E250 is off!

Now it isn't very suprising that the RAID is not found using
probe-all-scsi... :-( (I don't know, how many "boot -r"s I already did ;-)
)

Now, this was problem nr one. The other is, I can't connect to the array
with a serial connection. Do I need some special cable or sth.? Shouldn't
it be enough to use a 25-9 pin cable and then calling "tip /dev/ttya" using
38400 8N1?

Thank you very much,
Marcel

PS: As you perhaps already saw, I'm quite a SUN-newbie, so please speak this
way to me ;-)

2. Auto name mapping for DOS

3. openboot ide probe

4. HELP: tray vs. slot vs. caddy

5. scsi-probe problems for a Fujitsu M2654SA

6. How to get TFM from TrueType font?

7. probe-scsi problem in Ultra

8. Encyclopedia Britannica uses Java, XP & Open Source

9. probe-ide shows no drives ob ultra 10 on probe-ide command

10. probe-scsi lists CDROM on all scsi id's on Sparc-10

11. sparc 5 probe problem

12. Ultra 450 Boot problems -- cannot get console: Hangs after Post-probe Cheerio fixups

13. probe-scsi hangs my Ultra-1/170