PCI Video Card on Sun Ent 250

Post by Ben Mihailesc » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 23:47:27

Hi all,

I would like to use one of the many PC PCI Video cards I have lying
around in a Sun Entreprise250 server. I can figure out card clock speeds
  et all, but I just wanted to hear from you guys if it is possible. If
yes, would you share any tips you may have?

Thanks in advance, Ben

ps I know Ent250 are servers and they only need a console, but I need X
running as well. Universities are poor, and $ for a decent console I
don't have, but a video card and a Sun monitor I have. Reasons are many...

PCI Video Card on Sun Ent 250

Post by Chuck Swige » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 07:47:34

> I would like to use one of the many PC PCI Video cards I have lying
> around in a Sun Entreprise250 server. I can figure out card clock speeds
>   et all, but I just wanted to hear from you guys if it is possible. If
> yes, would you share any tips you may have?

Solaris doesn't come with drivers for generic PC video cards.  People normally
display X11 apps from an E250 to some remote client machine, such as an Intel
box running X11 over FreeBSD, Linux, etc...

-Chuck

       -------------+-------------------+-----------------------------------
       "The human race's favorite method for being in control of the facts
        is to ignore them."  -Celia Green

PCI Video Card on Sun Ent 250

Post by Akop Pogosia » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:43:26

> Hi all,
> I would like to use one of the many PC PCI Video cards I have lying
> around in a Sun Entreprise250 server. I can figure out card clock speeds
>   et all, but I just wanted to hear from you guys if it is possible. If
> yes, would you share any tips you may have?
> Thanks in advance, Ben
> ps I know Ent250 are servers and they only need a console, but I need X
> running as well. Universities are poor, and $ for a decent console I
> don't have, but a video card and a Sun monitor I have. Reasons are many...

Serial consoles are that expensive. You will need to buy a buy a Sun
supported card such as PGX32 or PGX64. I am not sure if PGX64 is
supported on E250. PGX32 alone will probably cost you as much a serial
terminal (list price is around $300)

-akop

PCI Video Card on Sun Ent 250

Post by Relational D » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:53:16

Quote:> I would like to use one of the many PC PCI Video cards I have lying
> around in a Sun Entreprise250 server. I can figure out card clock speeds
>   et all, but I just wanted to hear from you guys if it is possible. If
> yes, would you share any tips you may have?

> Thanks in advance, Ben

I am aware of quite a few thing that you can do to a Sun UltraSPARC
machine, using PC parts, however I am not aware of a single
successfull video install. I suggest that you try to find an ATI card
that uses the exact same chip that Sun uses in their Ultra 5/10
workstations. However, it may or may not work, no guarantees. In
theory you can make virtually any PC video card work in E250, the only
issue is that you'll have to port a Linux driver to sparc, or write
your own. It's quite an excersise in Unix system programming.

P.S. If your university is poor (no offence) you might wanna look at
Solaris Intel. Even if Sun never releases Solaris 9 for Intel, Solaris
8 won't be obsolete for many years. Heck! A lot of people are still
runing 2.6 in production.

PCI Video Card on Sun Ent 250

Post by Akop Pogosia » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:34:36

>> I would like to use one of the many PC PCI Video cards I have lying
>> around in a Sun Entreprise250 server. I can figure out card clock speeds
>>   et all, but I just wanted to hear from you guys if it is possible. If
>> yes, would you share any tips you may have?

>> Thanks in advance, Ben
> I am aware of quite a few thing that you can do to a Sun UltraSPARC
> machine, using PC parts, however I am not aware of a single
> successfull video install. I suggest that you try to find an ATI card
> that uses the exact same chip that Sun uses in their Ultra 5/10
> workstations. However, it may or may not work, no guarantees. In
> theory you can make virtually any PC video card work in E250, the only
> issue is that you'll have to port a Linux driver to sparc, or write
> your own. It's quite an excersise in Unix system programming.

The card's firmware should be designed to work on Sun platform or you
won't get console access until the dtlogin starts, which can be rather
useless in this case.

Quote:> P.S. If your university is poor (no offence) you might wanna look at
> Solaris Intel. Even if Sun never releases Solaris 9 for Intel, Solaris
> 8 won't be obsolete for many years. Heck! A lot of people are still
> runing 2.6 in production.

Universities also get discounts on Sun HW.

-akop

PCI Video Card on Sun Ent 250

Post by Robert Mullen » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:01:53

> > Hi all,

> > I would like to use one of the many PC PCI Video cards I have lying
> > around in a Sun Entreprise250 server. I can figure out card clock speeds
> >   et all, but I just wanted to hear from you guys if it is possible. If
> > yes, would you share any tips you may have?

> > Thanks in advance, Ben

> > ps I know Ent250 are servers and they only need a console, but I need X
> > running as well. Universities are poor, and $ for a decent console I
> > don't have, but a video card and a Sun monitor I have. Reasons are many...

> Serial consoles are that expensive. You will need to buy a buy a Sun
> supported card such as PGX32 or PGX64. I am not sure if PGX64 is
> supported on E250. PGX32 alone will probably cost you as much a serial
> terminal (list price is around $300)

> -akop

You can buy a used PGX8 or PGX32 for around $200 from a couple of vendors.
The PGX64 is supported on the E250 and I would bet you have a 25-40% EDU
discount...so that might be just as good and it would have a warranty
if you really need a frame buffer.

PCI Video Card on Sun Ent 250

Post by Ben Mihailesc » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:26:01

Thanks for all your input. I think the final decision is to find a used
PGX64 and go from there.

Thanks again, Ben

Post by Robert Mullen » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 05:10:51

> Thanks for all your input. I think the final decision is to find a used
> PGX64 and go from there.

> Thanks again, Ben

> > Hi all,

> > I would like to use one of the many PC PCI Video cards I have lying
> > around in a Sun Entreprise250 server. I can figure out card clock speeds
> >  et all, but I just wanted to hear from you guys if it is possible. If
> > yes, would you share any tips you may have?

> > Thanks in advance, Ben

> > ps I know Ent250 are servers and they only need a console, but I need X
> > running as well. Universities are poor, and $ for a decent console I
> > don't have, but a video card and a Sun monitor I have. Reasons are many...

You might have problems finding a used one.  You can get a used PGX32
here:

www.gshiis.com

1. Sun Enterprise 250 & Compatible PCI Cards

Hi All

I have a Sun Enterprise 250 that I use for training purposes in my shop.

I am used to running it on a dumb terminal but I do have access to a Sun
Monitor.

What is the most cost effective PCI Video card that will work in this for
basic video?

thanks
mike bolen

2. an important country missing ! (i.e. Austria)

3. FS: SUN Ent. 450/250 MHz x 2...

4. Intro to comp.unix.wizards - read before posting! (last change: Wed Jul 28 9:50:52 EDT 1993)

5. FS: Ent 3000 250 MHz CPU + 1GB RAM kit *CHEAP*

6. Looking for C compiler for 2c

7. BLocksize option needed for tar.c

8. FS: NEW SUN PCI Video/Ethernet Combo Cards - $44.00!

9. Are any cheap video cards available for PCI based suns?

10. WTB:Sun Raptor PGX32 PCI video card