xmodmap for key switching

Post by Jacob W Janove » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

    I don't usually read this group but...  I've been trying to swap the
CTRL and CAPSLOCK keys on a Sun 5 running OpenWindows.  I'm using the
exact script as in the man page for xmodmap for doing this.  It normally
works on the Sun 10's and Sun 2's running Motif window manager.  However,
when run on the Sun 5, it switches them ok, but the CTRL key is now just
a SHIFT key, and the CAPSLOCK is now a CTRL LOCK.  They change function,
but they don't change their lock characteristics.

    If someone could help, please e-mail me.  Thanks!

(the mod map file is:
!
! Swap Caps_Lock and Control_L
!
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L
keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Control_L
)

    Jake

--

   University of Illinois  | your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,
      I want a PowerPC     | there you long to return.

1. Help on xmodmap command to swap control and cap keys on sun

Hello,

I am trying to swap the control and cap keys on Sun sparc 20 machine
running sunos 4.1.3 and X-window.  From the man page of xmodmap, I got
the following:

   ! Swap  Caps_Lock  and  Control_L
    remove Lock = Caps_Lock
    remove Control =  Control_L
    keysym  Control_L  =  Caps_Lock
    keysym  Caps_Lock  = Control_L
    add Lock = Caps_Lock
    add Control = Control_L

After doing xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc, the swapping is half-way done.  That
is, the control_L and cap_lock keys have been swapped, but the control
key in the new location will not release control even after I have
lifted my finger.  I have to press the control key again to release
it.  Similarly, the Cap key in the new location loses its lock as soon
as I lift my finger on it.  Does any sun user know how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Donald

2. WARP AND DOOM?

3. E280R with Rose Electronics KVM & Switch - key mappings

4. More than one embedded view on a form?

5. SUN video/key switch BOX

6. Is this a bug with open() (V2).

7. key switch on SS1000E ....

8. email problems

9. How to make Diamond key the Meta key

10. Q: BS key <--> DEL key in a xterm window

11. EMACS key binding with function keys

12. Keycode Assignments for use by xmodmap