Sun keyboard on PC?

Post by Keith Thompso » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Is it possible to use a Sun keyboard (any model) on a PC?  (The PC in
question is a Dell OptiPlex running Windows NT 4.0, but I think PC
keyboard connections are pretty much standard.)  If it can't be used
directly, is there some kind of adaptor?

What I'm really looking for is a PC keyboard that has the Control key
above the left shift key, and the Caps Lock key somewhere out of the
way (below the shift key is fine).

I know Key Tronic used to make a keyboard that would let you configure
this, but it's no longer in production.

I know that there's an NT registry hack that will let me do this in
software, but for various reasons that's probably not an option.

Thanks.

--

San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>
"Oh my gosh!  You are SO ahead of your time!" -- anon.

Sun keyboard on PC?

Post by Doug McInty » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Is it possible to use a Sun keyboard (any model) on a PC?  (The PC in
>question is a Dell OptiPlex running Windows NT 4.0, but I think PC
>keyboard connections are pretty much standard.)  If it can't be used
>directly, is there some kind of adaptor?

Yes, Ultraspec makes an adaptor box that will take a Sun keyboard and
let you plug it into a PC (or another box does one into the Mac).
Their part number for the PC one is #5189. Their web site is
http://www.ultraspec.com/

I like the one I have, although it doesn't have caps lock light work
for somereason.

--

  Network Engineer/Tech Support/Jack of All Trades of Vector Internet
Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate

1. PC keyboard signal conv. to rs232 or Sun keyboard

anyone know of products which convert the PC/AT keyboard signal to rs232 or to
Sun keyboard signal directly?

i have an orthopedic PC keyboard which i'd like to use on my Sun at work.

using the ttya and the eeprom monitor command: setenv console ttya (or
whatever), the default sun keyboard can be bypassed leaving the output and
mouse still active.

...unless of course a direct pc-to-sun converter box exists.

Sun's sales and tech department drones which i got handed off to offered no
help.

any info?
(...other than: get a cheap PC as the convert box)

also, i don't have the time to build such a box myself...

please send email.
thanks.
-daniel

2. Warp Engine 68040/40 for $695 !!

3. Looking for waterproof keyboard for a Sun SPARC keyboard or specifications of the keyboard interface

4. Need help porting DOS program to Windows.

5. using a sun type 4/5 keyboard with a pc

6. Recognizing HP Jet-Direct printers in NW4.1 (NDS)

7. Sun Type 5 keyboard for a PC?

8. Amiga vs. Everybody else

9. Sun keyboard and optical mouse for PC?

10. sun mouse,keyboard with pc?

11. Sun Keyboard On PC

12. Sun 5c keyboard with a PC?

13. PC keyboard and mouse on SUN?