Where can I get SUN HARDWARE FAQ?

Post by deny everythi » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

can someone mail me the address of where I can find the sun hardware FAQ?

thanks,
John Abella

Post by Celeste Stokel » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> can someone mail me the address of where I can find the sun hardware FAQ?

> thanks,
> John Abella

I keep links to all the Sun FAQs I run across on my FAQs WWW page
at
http://www.stokely.com/stokely/unix.sysadm.resources/faqs.html#faq.li...

The Sun HW FAQ is supposed to be located at:
http://sun-www.picarefy.com but seems to not be responding
at this moment. Perhaps the editor of that page, James Birdsall,

--

Unix System Administration Consultant, Stokely Consulting
Voice:  415-967-6898 / FAX: 415-967-0160

Where can I get SUN HARDWARE FAQ?

Post by Michael J C Fir » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: >
: > can someone mail me the address of where I can find the sun hardware FAQ?
: >
: > thanks,
: > John Abella

: I keep links to all the Sun FAQs I run across on my FAQs WWW page
: at
: http://www.stokely.com/stokely/unix.sysadm.resources/faqs.html#faq.li...

: The Sun HW FAQ is supposed to be located at:
: http://sun-www.picarefy.com but seems to not be responding
: at this moment. Perhaps the editor of that page, James Birdsall,

The Sun hardware FAQ is available at

ftp://ftp.ece.uc.edu/pub/sun-faq/FAQs/Hardware

This version is dated November 1995, so it is possible that there is a newer
version out there.

Michael

--
Michael Firth - BT Multimedia Networks group

Where can I get SUN HARDWARE FAQ?

Post by R J Parkinso » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone have any information on a Mono 19" Phillips SUN3 Monitor.
It's model 365-1014-01.
All I really need is the pin details for the DB9 connector.

I have looked in some of the most recent FAQ's with no luck

TIA for any help.

--

Network Analyst         Snail    : PO Box 21048, Hamilton, New Zealand
PlaNet FreeNZ           Office   : +64 7 8540907

Where can I get SUN HARDWARE FAQ?

Post by Terrance Hodgi » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>Does anyone have any information on a Mono 19" Phillips SUN3
Monitor
>.
>It's model 365-1014-01.
>All I really need is the pin details for the DB9 connector.

>I have looked in some of the most recent FAQ's with no luck

>TIA for any help.

I'm not 100% sure that the wiring is straight-through, but
I think it is on Sun monitors.  The signals at the computer
are:

The monochrome video output levels are ECL (logic levels
of zero to minus 5 volts).
The hsync and vsync are TTL. The pinout of
the monochrome video connector is:

            1   VIDEO+              6   VIDEO-
            3   HSYNC               7   GND
            4   VSYNC               8   GND
                                    9   GND

Check the voltages on the monitor very carefully before
hooking anything up.
One third-party monitor I know of (Sigma Designs) moves
around the positions of the v and hsync signals, and puts
-5 volts on pin 4 of the monitor, in case you want to
power terminating resistors on the video lines, which will smoke
the chip that outputs the vsync if you wire it all straight
through. (I learned that the hard way...).

   For all of this kind of info,
Get the Sun Hardware Reference from
ftp.picarefy.com:/pub/Sun-Hardware-Ref
         Sun Hardware Reference Web Page:
http://sun-www.picarefy.com/

:
:The Sun HW FAQ is supposed to be located at:
:http://sun-www.picarefy.com but seems to not be responding
:at this moment. Perhaps the editor of that page, James Birdsall,

:--

:------------------------------------------------------------------
:Celeste's Tutorials on Solaris 2.x/SunOS 4.1.3+ Modems & Terminals
:  are available via the Web at http://www.stokely.com/stokely
:     or via ftp at ftp.batnet.com:/pub/wombats/stokely/ftp
:See our Web pages for lots of Unix Serial Port & Sysadm Resources!

   The machine or network link at picarefy.com is very slow.
a better place to get the Sun-Hardware-Ref is by ftp from the
alternate ftp.netcom.com. To quote from the beginning of the
Sun hardware reference --

   This document is available via anonymous FTP from ftp.picarefy.com in
/pub/Sun-Hardware-Ref as a .tar.Z, .zip, or individual parts in the
parts directory. It is also available from ftp.netcom.com in
/pub/ru/rubicon/sun.hdwr.ref.

    Celeste's tutorials and the Sun hardware reference are both
required reading for the well informed Sun user.