Anti-Aliasing

Post by Nikola Krgovi » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 08:44:31

 Hi, all

 Does anyone know: I found that XVR-1000 supports hardware-base full screen
anti-aliasing. Does any other card support this? XVR-500? Some Expert3D?
Since this is reality a nice feature, especially on LCD monitors I would
hope that at least some other card supports it. Does it?

 Regards,
 Nikola.

Anti-Aliasing

Post by Garry Tayl » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 18:43:48

> Hi, all

>  Does anyone know: I found that XVR-1000 supports hardware-base full screen
> anti-aliasing. Does any other card support this? XVR-500? Some Expert3D?
> Since this is reality a nice feature, especially on LCD monitors I would
> hope that at least some other card supports it. Does it?

>  Regards,
>  Nikola.

Interesting, is there anywhere we can see side-by-side screenshots, to
see the difference between anti-aliased and none-anti-aliased?

Garry

Anti-Aliasing

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 23:49:37

|Interesting, is there anywhere we can see side-by-side screenshots, to
|see the difference between anti-aliased and none-anti-aliased?

I believe only OpenGL actually uses the hardware anti-aliasing.

Anti-Aliasing

Post by Chuck Swige » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 03:30:21

> |Interesting, is there anywhere we can see side-by-side screenshots, to
> |see the difference between anti-aliased and none-anti-aliased?

> I believe only OpenGL actually uses the hardware anti-aliasing.

So draw windows in OpenGL with fonts handled as textures....

-Chuck

       -------------+-------------------+-----------------------------------
       "The human race's favorite method for being in control of the facts
        is to ignore them."  -Celia Green

Anti-Aliasing

Post by Bitt Faul » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 05:28:58

Quote:

> So draw windows in OpenGL with fonts handled as textures....

Not that it's for Solaris (sorry), but neat nonetheless:

http://www.pollet.net/GLterm/

--
Bitt Faulk

Anti-Aliasing

Post by Garry Tayl » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 19:38:27

> |Interesting, is there anywhere we can see side-by-side screenshots, to
> |see the difference between anti-aliased and none-anti-aliased?

> I believe only OpenGL actually uses the hardware anti-aliasing.

I assumed that would be the case, but I would still like to see what
the effect is, I'm quite interested in experimenting with OpenGL, and
would like to see what can be achieved on one of these high end cards.

Garry

Anti-Aliasing

Post by Nikola Krgovi » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 00:16:08

>> I believe only OpenGL actually uses the hardware anti-aliasing.

> I assumed that would be the case, but I would still like to see what
> the effect is, I'm quite interested in experimenting with OpenGL, and
> would like to see what can be achieved on one of these high end cards.

 I have no pictures for sun, but there are plenty of ilistrations on various
sites on PC hardware... Basicaly it's the same thing... I would go for ATI
since it's most simmilar, although Sun seems to have the edge (no PC card I
know uses 16-point multisampling).

 As for the GL story - I know that KDE 3.0 can use OpenGL and antialiasing,
and I suppose that the Gnome 2.0 can too... So it should be usefull on the
desktop as well. That was my main idea, anyways...

 Regards,
 Nikola.

Anti-Aliasing

Post by David Magd » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 07:03:14

[...]

Quote:>  As for the GL story - I know that KDE 3.0 can use OpenGL and antialiasing,
> and I suppose that the Gnome 2.0 can too... So it should be usefull on the
> desktop as well. That was my main idea, anyways...

Then there's Mac OS 10.2. :>

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>

1. SN#8818 Stalker Software and Sophos Anti-Virus Partner to Provide Total Anti-Virus Solution

SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS
Vol 59 Issue 5 2003-01-27 Article 8818 from section "Security"

     Stalker Software and Sophos are offering an anti-virus solution to
     CommuniGate Pro messaging users and customers on the HP Tru64 platform.
     Sophos supports popular operating systems such as Windows and Mac,
     including the Solaris[TM] Operating Environment (Solaris OE), FreeBSD, SCO
     Unixware and Linux, giving customers a choice in anti-virus solutions.

     With an estimated 1,000 new computer viruses discovered each month, having
     a virus fighting solution is crucial. Sophos solutions offer total
     multi-platform protection on servers, desktops, laptops and the gateway.
     Using the Sophos virus engine, Stalker Software has created a plug-in for
     the CommuniGate Pro messaging server to provide protected email
     connectivity for its more than 26 million users.

     "As information technology becomes increasingly critical to success in
     business, so does computer security," said Philip Stockton, business
     development manager, Sophos. "Today, businesses must evaluate their IT
     infrastructure and assess the need for anti-virus protection at each access
     point. Our partnership with Stalker Software offers customers an increased
     level of protection against viruses at a critical access point: the email
     server, so they can focus on their core business."

     CommuniGate Pro has an open standards-based architecture and supports more
     than 30 hardware and operating system combinations including UNIX[R],
     Windows, AS400, mainframes and Mac OS X.

Details at: http://sun.systemnews.com/59/5/sec/index.shtml#8818

Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you
via email each week in PDF, text or HTML.  Only the sections that you
select will be included in your copy of the news magazine.  Subscribe at
http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe
(c) 2003 System News, Inc.   http://www.systemnews.com

2. TWGS GAL chips... Updated list

3. anti-radiation video, speed of 3/xx, harddiscs

4. WMI PROBLEM

5. Anti-glare/radiation filter

6. Urgent HELP!! Problem with database lookup.

7. Predefined OBP aliases

8. how to set IPC nvram to recognize CDROM device alias?

9. ”Re: Anti Microsoft Quest !

10. Removing a PROM alias?

11. SALE: Anti-Static Bags and Boxes to protect your Sun products

12. SALE: Anti-Static Bags and Boxes