Need help with SUN 3/260 and 3/60

Post by Gordan Bobi » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I have two SUN stations to get working,
models 3/260 (Server) and 3/60 (Workstation).

They were kindly donated to my school, but there
are a few little problems.

1.
Every time they are turned on, they ask for a
PROM password. Taking the battery doesn't help
to remove it (after all, it is a PROM, and not
EPROM / EEPROM password - I tried anyway,
though - desperation...)

Is there a standard, factory pre-programmed PROM
password? The people from the company who donated
them don't seem to know the passwords - apparently,
they never turned them off (?!).

2.
The 3/60 is set up to boot remotely
off the 3/260, and the 3/260 used to have an external
drive array of SMD disks (what ever those are...)
However, those SMD drives were kept by the donators.
There appears to be an internal SCSI bus running
the tape drive inside the 3/260, with a spare connector
on the cable. Is there a way that this 3/260 could boot
off a SCSI hard disk?

3.
What version of UNIX can I run on those?
Can I run Solaris?
What version?
Where can I still get it?

If there is anybody out there who knows the answers
to any of those questions, please help.

Thanks.

Post by Gorda » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Also, if it isn't too much trouble please send the via EMail.

Thanks.

Post by Jim Stephe » Mon, 08 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I have two SUN stations to get working,
>models 3/260 (Server) and 3/60 (Workstation).

$75, and $20 rsp at the TRW swap meet on a good weekend.  I wonder how
much was written off for this donation?  IBM Xt's at least would run
word 4 or word perfect 5.1 for these people, whereas these boat
anchors without software aren't even good room heaters.

Quote:>They were kindly donated to my school, but there
>are a few little problems.
>1.
>Every time they are turned on, they ask for a
>PROM password. Taking the battery doesn't help
>to remove it (after all, it is a PROM, and not
>EPROM / EEPROM password - I tried anyway,
>though - desperation...)
>Is there a standard, factory pre-programmed PROM
>password? The people from the company who donated
>them don't seem to know the passwords - apparently,
>they never turned them off (?!).

With no SMD drives attached, there may be a problem, not related to
the PROMs (see your later question).  I really can't help here, as I
have not seen this in my experience.

Quote:>2.
>The 3/60 is set up to boot remotely
>off the 3/260, and the 3/260 used to have an external
>drive array of SMD disks (what ever those are...)
>However, those SMD drives were kept by the donators.
>There appears to be an internal SCSI bus running
>the tape drive inside the 3/260, with a spare connector
>on the cable. Is there a way that this 3/260 could boot
>off a SCSI hard disk?

The scsi drives used by the older 3/260's were genned up from
controllers that ran either MFM or ESDI drives, usually an Emulex MD21
or such (some adaptecs were used as well)  I would be interested in
what models of current SCSI drives work with these especially on a
4/280 or 4/260, as I have them.

Quote:>3.
>What version of UNIX can I run on those?

Sun 4.1.1 for the 68k

Quote:>Can I run Solaris?

on the 3/260 you could invest $100 and get a 4/2xx processor and maybe
run it, but it would be dog SLOW.  This is also a skill that I would
not recommend to the faint hearted as well. A better $100 investment
would be to buy the educational discounted Solaris and run on a
Pentium.

Quote:>What version?

I know that Solaris 2.2 would have run on the above 4/2xx, as I have a
distribution that came with my box on cdrom, however I have Sun 4.0.1
loaded with lots of goodies, and no way to move them to Solaris.

Quote:>Where can I still get it?

Sunsoft will help you.
Quote:>If there is anybody out there who knows the answers
>to any of those questions, please help.
>Also, if it isn't too much trouble please send the via EMail.
>Thanks.

1. Need help: 3/260, 3/60

I have two SUN stations to get working,
models 3/260 and 3/60.

[...]

BTW, I would greatly appreciate it if you would
EMail me with the answers on

Gordan

2. recommendation of floppy backup application for folders

3. Help needed getting Sun 3/260 to talk to terminal on serial port

4. Help in upgrading 512K Mac or Mac Plus motherboard wanted

5. Need help setting up cg9 board in 4/260

6. Improvements to iBuySpyPortal

7. need help 3/260

8. Active links in inbox won't open

9. 3/260 workstation help needed

10. Upgrading Sun 3/60, 3/140, and 3/260 CPU

11. Sun 3/260 + model 60 workstations?

12. FS or Trade: Sun 3/60 and 4/260

13. WTB: SunOS 4.1.3 on 60 mwg QIC tapes for a Sun 4/260 system