SS 5 frequently reboots itself

Post by Tobing Soebro » Thu, 24 Nov 1994 11:54:26

Several of SS-5s model 70 we have suddenly crash and reboot.
We got them a few months ago, working fine until now.
This happens pretty frequently, sometimes 3 times a day.
We are using SunOS 4.1.3_U1.
I wonder if anybody has similar experience with SS-5.
Or if anybody know of any hardware/software bugs that might cause this.
Info would be appreciated...
---

Integrated Information Tech. Inc. Santa Clara, CA. (408)-727-1885

1. Sparc5 reboots itself when pegged?!?

I have a Sparc5 running SunOS 4.1.3_U1 that has an annoying habit
of rebooting itself during long disk/CPU intensive tasks.

The system has 96Mb RAM, has internal 3.5" floppy drive, internal
CD-ROM drive, external 1.0 GB and 2.0 GB hard disks and external
8mm tape drive.  The last 4 are SCSI I believe.

The problem occurs (sometimes) when running a large, disk/CPU
intensive Oracle query or task.  Usually these tasks are hitting
both SCSI hard drives continuously while nearly pegging the CPU,
all for several hours at a time.  At a random point in the task
the screen blanks as the system reboots itself -- this can corrupt
the Oracle database if the query was updating it at the time.

We thought we'd licked this problem last year when our Sun rep.
reseated all the SIMMs, swapped out the power supply, and moved
the 8mm tape drive to the end of the SCSI chain.  However, last
Friday the mysterious reboot resurfaced again -- I was running a
large "cleanup" job that was deleting old records from the database
and about 1 hr 20 min into it (according to /var/adm/messages) the
system rebooted itself.  It was a little over halfway done with
the Oracle job.

Can anyone give me any insight?  What are the SCSI termination issues
on this box?  Internal and external SCSI chain issues?  Help!

Thanks very much,
-Tommy

2. Can't open printers folder

3. Sun SLC reboots...FREQUENTLY!!! HELP!!

4. ODF books?

5. reboot reboot reboot.....

6. Printer...

7. SS10 Prob: Rebooting - Rebooting - Rebooting - Re....

8. Publish statistc from Cabletrons Spectrum on the Intranet

9. SS 1 graphics adapter -> SS 2, IPX, or SS 10?

10. Q: IPX without monitor/kbd won't boot by itself

11. Making vold behave itself with a CD changer

12. Q: shuts down by itself

13. Solaris sees all filesystems, but not the hard drive itself