Need help with 3/60 ID PROM

Post by Donnie Barn » Sat, 23 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Alright guys...bear with me as I'm new to Sun hardware.

I have a 3/60 I just picked up...I'd like to install NetBSD on it.
When I power it up, I get "ID PROM INVALID".  Of course, when it tries
to net boot it thinks it's hardware address is 0:0:0:0:0:0.  So,
what's wrong here?  It has the IDPROM in it (location U224).  It is, however,
missing a chip at location U314, which is directly connected to what
looks like an EEPROM (near the lithium battery in the back corner).

Now, I have looked through the Sun hardware FAQ and the eeprom-nvram
FAQ.  The hardware faq doesn't say much about this, but points to the
other faq.  Unfortunately, it only deals with the 3/80 and sparcs.

Anyone know what the missing chip is?  Is it necessary (I assume so, but...)?

Any help you could give would be great...via email or this newsgroup.

--Donnie Barnes

PS:  If I can get this thing going I'm gonna start working on porting
Linux to it...

1. 3/60 ID PROM?

        A friend in another state has a 3/60 that complains about
a bad or missing ID PROM when it attempts (with no success) to boot.
A bit of rooting around on 3/60 motherboards found locally suggests
that the ID prom is a real PROM, a 32x8 PROM from AMD, so the usual
thing about how the battery has died seems not to be the case with
3/60s.

        I've suggested simply reseating the PROM. Is this likely to
solve it? PROMS, as far as I know, do not spontaneously forget their
contents. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

                Andrew

2. *ANNOUNCE* The Games Industry Forums

3. Burning Sun 3/60 ID PROMs

4. Test post

5. Can 3/60 ID PROMs be rewritten?

6. Problems with StatusBar control?

7. Sun 3/60 - ERROR: ...invalid ID prom

8. success with HP 4020i and mac?

9. "ID PROM invalid" on Sun 3/80 - help

10. help!! wtb: ultra 10 id prom

11. "id prom contents are invalid" on ultra 10, Please Help!!!

12. Imprimis Hard Drive, id help needed

13. HELP: What kind of ROSS Proms do I need?