cooling question re: sparc 10

Post by Anthony Mandi » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:46:49

> i will have fairly hot mbus modules in my two sparc10s. (10mhz
> hypersparc in one, 2 x sm71 supersparcs in the other.) from the point
> of view of cooling, am  i better off with all the memory slots filled
> say with 16meg ram, or with a smaller number of 64meg rams?

        I don't know the thermal characteristics of memory cards
        but I bet it won't be much (they never seem to get mentioned
        in the docs). A smaller number should output even less than
        a larger number but the cards are different. I doubt if they
        would be anywhere near as hot as the CPU modules though.

Quote:> this is obviously a question about air flow, and i can't figure it
> out!

        The SS10's power supply has 3 fans compared to the SS20
        so, in theory, it should provide better cooling. It might
        be an idea to get a sensor and monitor the internal temp
        for a while to get an idea of how it looks. Scan Google
        for some old posts with tips. Has anyone ever played
        with heat transferers or, more to the point, are there
        any around for computers? Failing that, maybe some PC-
        style CPU fans can be inserted if it gets too hot.

-am     ? 2002

cooling question re: sparc 10

Post by David B. Chorli » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 02:39:46

Quote:>i will have fairly hot mbus modules in my two sparc10s. (10mhz
>hypersparc in one, 2 x sm71 supersparcs in the other.) from the point
>of view of cooling, am  i better off with all the memory slots filled
>say with 16meg ram, or with a smaller number of 64meg rams?
>this is obviously a question about air flow, and i can't figure it
>out!
>--

This is not an answer to your question, but make sure the vents
on the bottom are not clogged with dust.  I had a heating problem
that I could not solve until I turned the machine upside down
and noticed the clogged vents.

Quote:>we don't have a democracy, we have an auction. - anon

--
David B. Chorlian
Neurodynamics Lab  SUNY/HSCB

Post by Dennis Grevenstei » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 02:46:45

> i will have fairly hot mbus modules in my two sparc10s. (10mhz
> hypersparc in one, 2 x sm71 supersparcs in the other.) from the point
> of view of cooling, am  i better off with all the memory slots filled
> say with 16meg ram, or with a smaller number of 64meg rams?

Maybe you have a wrong impression of these machines.
They do get hot, but that does not mean that they will
immediatly go up in smoke. I have an SS10 running in
a cupboard as a small server. It has an SM81, 256MB RAM,
two big internal 7200 rpm disks, framebuffer, an
additional NIC and some external harddisks that make up
a nice RAID.
That's not a place where you normally install servers,
but it's a place where my box can run 24/7.
Just make sure that there is some airflow inside and
around the box and you should be fine. Don't operate
it without the cover. That won't do you any good.

Dennis

Post by Charles Shannon Hendri » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 05:15:06

>    The SS10's power supply has 3 fans compared to the SS20
>    so, in theory, it should provide better cooling. It might
>    be an idea to get a sensor and monitor the internal temp
>    for a while to get an idea of how it looks. Scan Google
>    for some old posts with tips. Has anyone ever played
>    with heat transferers or, more to the point, are there
>    any around for computers? Failing that, maybe some PC-
>    style CPU fans can be inserted if it gets too hot.

The problem lies in where to put the fans.

I've been toying with the idea of an external "pusher" fan to blow are
into the right side via some kind of close fitting box.

Blowholes are drastic and won't allow stacking.

Post by Anthony Mandi » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 13:28:02

> The problem lies in where to put the fans.

        Yes.

Quote:> I've been toying with the idea of an external "pusher" fan to blow are
> into the right side via some kind of close fitting box.

        It could also suck from the other side. I'd found that,
        even in an airconditioned office but not in a computer
        room, a lot of dust seems to get collected. I used to
        clean them out every few months. I'd imagine that a home
        environment would be worse as far as dust collection goes.
        I've never experimented with filters. It would be interesting
        to hear some thoughts on that.

Quote:> Blowholes are drastic and won't allow stacking.

        If you have some spare sbus slots, you could remove the
        coverplate and use a fan at the rear too. May not be very
        efficient unless you use some baffles to guide the airflow.
        I'm also not sure what effect it would have on the internal
        airflow.

-am     ? 2002

Post by Jeremiah DeWitt Weine » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 02:44:55

>    I've never experimented with filters. It would be interesting
>    to hear some thoughts on that.

        I bought some air-conditioner filter stuff from a hardware store a
while back and have been rather pleased with it.  It's the foamy stuff
about 3/16" thick (as opposed to the thicker sort of fiberglass-wool).
It can be cut with ordinary scissors, and since it comes in sheets about
2'x4', you get plenty of filters out of one sheet.  It does restrict
airflow a little, but not severely.  The difference is visible - after a
few weeks I could see the buildup of crud on the filter.  The filters
wash out well with a bit of soap and water.  They do deteriorate a bit
over time - they get slightly brittle and tend to shed bits and tear when
you wash them - but the material is so cheap it hardly matters.

        The only problem is that there's rarely a good way to mount
the filter, so you may have to resort to taping or *-banding it in
place.

--
If mail to me bounces, try removing the "+STRING" part of the address.

Post by Anthony Mandi » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:48:24

> I bought some air-conditioner filter stuff from a hardware store a
> while back and have been rather pleased with it.  It's the foamy stuff
> about 3/16" thick (as opposed to the thicker sort of fiberglass-wool).
> It can be cut with ordinary scissors, and since it comes in sheets about
> 2'x4', you get plenty of filters out of one sheet.  It does restrict
> airflow a little, but not severely.  The difference is visible - after a
> few weeks I could see the buildup of crud on the filter.  The filters
> wash out well with a bit of soap and water.  They do deteriorate a bit
> over time - they get slightly brittle and tend to shed bits and tear when
> you wash them - but the material is so cheap it hardly matters.

        Yes, I was thinking about the thin foam but having it sucked
        in when it disintegrates is a worry.

Quote:>         The only problem is that there's rarely a good way to mount
> the filter, so you may have to resort to taping or *-banding it in
> place.

        You could try placing it between the metal frame and the
        outer plastic cover. With a little careful effort it should
        fit snugly without getting ripped when you close the top over
        it.

-am     ? 2002

Post by Charles Shannon Hendr » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 13:56:19

> > I bought some air-conditioner filter stuff from a hardware store a
> > while back and have been rather pleased with it.  It's the foamy stuff
> > about 3/16" thick (as opposed to the thicker sort of fiberglass-wool).
> > It can be cut with ordinary scissors, and since it comes in sheets about
> > 2'x4', you get plenty of filters out of one sheet.  It does restrict
> > airflow a little, but not severely.  The difference is visible - after a
> > few weeks I could see the buildup of crud on the filter.  The filters
> > wash out well with a bit of soap and water.  They do deteriorate a bit
> > over time - they get slightly brittle and tend to shed bits and tear when
> > you wash them - but the material is so cheap it hardly matters.

>    Yes, I was thinking about the thin foam but having it sucked
>    in when it disintegrates is a worry.

This is why a lot of filters have a metal or plastic grid on the side
the air goes toward: to keep the filter bits from going past.

--

Post by Anthony Mandi » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 10:23:58

> > > The filters
> > > wash out well with a bit of soap and water.  They do deteriorate a bit
> > > over time - they get slightly brittle and tend to shed bits and tear when
> > > you wash them - but the material is so cheap it hardly matters.

> >       Yes, I was thinking about the thin foam but having it sucked
> >       in when it disintegrates is a worry.

> This is why a lot of filters have a metal or plastic grid on the side
> the air goes toward: to keep the filter bits from going past.

        But we weren't discussing filters, per se, but using some thin
        foam as a makeshift filter. The only viable place is in between
        the plastic outer covering of the case and the internal metal frame.
        If would need to be very thin to be able to fit in the gap. Hence
        the thin foam we were discussing. As mentioned this foam gets
        brittle and may corrode and get into the box. But, that aside,
        it sounds like it would suffice in providing some dust filtering
        without affecting airflow adversely.

-am     ? 2002

cooling question re: sparc 10

Post by Lanc » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 17:01:26

Quote:> But we weren't discussing filters, per se, but using some thin
> foam as a makeshift filter. The only viable place is in between
> the plastic outer covering of the case and the internal metal frame.
> If would need to be very thin to be able to fit in the gap. Hence
> the thin foam we were discussing. As mentioned this foam gets
> brittle and may corrode and get into the box. But, that aside,
> it sounds like it would suffice in providing some dust filtering
> without affecting airflow adversely.

Why not buy an airfilter for a car?  The paper does not get brittle like the
foam can and does a good job filtering.  If you want to go really hog wild,
buy a K&N with the million mile warranty.

Lance

Post by Anthony Mandi » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 18:55:00

> Why not buy an airfilter for a car?  The paper does not get brittle like the
> foam can and does a good job filtering.  If you want to go really hog wild,
> buy a K&N with the million mile warranty.

        For one thing you'd need to take the air filter apart to get the
        paper. I'm not sure if the paper itself allows air to pass thru
        it but rather between it (I haven't looked at car air filters
        in years but my recollections tell me that they were circular
        with the paper laid out in a folded fan shape. The air seemed
        to pass between the paper sheets (which were close enough together
        to trap larger particles).

        But come to think of it, some vacuum cleaners use paper dust
        bags. These seem to work OK, so I would imagine thinner filter
        paper might work with the weaker fans in the SS10s and 20s.
        Someone would need to risk a system to do some empirical testing.

-am     ? 2002

cooling question re: sparc 10

Post by Lanc » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 04:45:07

Quote:> For one thing you'd need to take the air filter apart to get the
> paper. I'm not sure if the paper itself allows air to pass thru
> it but rather between it (I haven't looked at car air filters
> in years but my recollections tell me that they were circular
> with the paper laid out in a folded fan shape. The air seemed
> to pass between the paper sheets (which were close enough together
> to trap larger particles).

> But come to think of it, some vacuum cleaners use paper dust
> bags. These seem to work OK, so I would imagine thinner filter
> paper might work with the weaker fans in the SS10s and 20s.
> Someone would need to risk a system to do some empirical testing.

> -am ? 2002

Yes, you would have to take the filter apart.  Regarding the rest of your
statement, do you know how an air filter is made?  It is on piece of paper
that is folded to increase the surface area.  It did not pass between the
sheets, air can pass though any point of the filter, not just where they
converge.  "Close enough to trap large particles", the filter is all one
piece of paper.

Lance

Post by Anthony Mandi » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 17:33:43

> Yes, you would have to take the filter apart.  Regarding the rest of your
> statement, do you know how an air filter is made?  It is on piece of paper
> that is folded to increase the surface area.  It did not pass between the
> sheets, air can pass though any point of the filter, not just where they
> converge.  "Close enough to trap large particles", the filter is all one
> piece of paper.

        Yes, it looks fan folded to me (in a circular fashion around an
        open core). It seemed to me that air passing between the folds would
        find the gap between the folds gets narrower as it move towards
        the centre from the outside. This is dependant on the design
        though. I'm not too familiar with car air filters (this is the
        only one I can recollect). I would imagine that there would
        be plenty of other designs.

        But as luck would have it the old Borland Chain made me replace
        the dust bag in the vacuum cleaner this morning. I took the liberty
        of ripping it and noticed that there were two layers of paper. A
        thick outer cover and a fine inner layer. The inner layer looked
        like it would make an excellent candidate. I noticed that, while
        it was quite thin compared to the outer layer, no dust had passed
        thru it and inbetween the two layers. I also couldn't believe
        how much dust there was in the bag. But that's beside the point.

-am     ? 2002

Post by Lanc » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 07:01:16

> Yes, it looks fan folded to me (in a circular fashion around an
> open core). It seemed to me that air passing between the folds would
> find the gap between the folds gets narrower as it move towards
> the centre from the outside. This is dependant on the design
> though. I'm not too familiar with car air filters (this is the
> only one I can recollect). I would imagine that there would
> be plenty of other designs.

Yes there are other designs, but they all work the same, air (round or
square, etc.) , oil, etc.  The only reason the pleats are there is to
increase the surface area.  The pleats have nothing to do with capturing
dirt, as the whole filter is one piece of paper that is folded.  Take a
filter, remove the paper and you now have an filter for the Sparc.

Lance

Post by Charles Shannon Hendri » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:15:45

>> This is why a lot of filters have a metal or plastic grid on the side
>> the air goes toward: to keep the filter bits from going past.

>    But we weren't discussing filters, per se, but using some thin
>    foam as a makeshift filter. The only viable place is in between

...which means we are discussing filters.  Jeez... what wierd logic.

In any case, my point is that something similar might help avoid the
filter bits getting into a system.

1. New Versions Of Cool/Gen And Cool/Joe

3717 New Versions Of Cool/Gen And Cool/Joe

System News for Sun Users Vol 39 Issue 3

http://sun.systemnews.com/system-news/jobdir/submitted/2001.07.all.w3...

COOL:Gen 6.0 eBusiness Edition, the advanced application
development tool, and COOL:Joe 2.0 for Enterprise Java[TM]
technology the comprehensive J2EE[TM]/EJB development
environment, enable companies to deliver Java technology
applications on an enterprise scale and to transform mainframe
and UNIX applications to large-scale web solutions that are
leveraged on proven technology.

Specify text, PDF, all or web links.

(c) 2001 System News, Inc.

2. Help! Port 139 Open

3. Ultra 10 -- cooling limits?

4. UPC barcode fonts

5. question on a sparc for home, sparc 5, 10, IPX, ect?

6. 60 ns RAM

7. Cooling question...

8. VoiceFX from Orion: Comments?

9. Sparc 10 question...

10. question about memory on SPARC 10 and 20

11. Sparc 10/LX Ethernet question

12. Sparc 10/402 questions

13. SPARC 10 parallel port question