Where to buy?

Post by Steve » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

Anyone know of any good places to buy Sun systems?  Not compatibles.
I'm looking at a place our company uses.  They will give me basically
12% across the board.  I can get an Enterprise 250 for about $4654.
The machine contains the following:

Enterprise 250 Server Tower
32x CD-ROM
10/100 NIC
360 Watt power supply
1 300-MHz processor
256MB ram
1 18 gig 10,000rpm UltraSCSI drive
PGX Graphics PCI card

Thanks for any input.

Steve

Where to buy?

Post by d. nguye » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

i'm not sure i understand you...you're looking for a place to buy sun
equipment...and you already know of a good place... ????

or are you trying to find a more competitive quote?
or perhaps re-sell what you can get for a mark up?

just trying to understand...

duc

Quote:> Anyone know of any good places to buy Sun systems?  Not compatibles.
> I'm looking at a place our company uses.  They will give me basically
> 12% across the board.  I can get an Enterprise 250 for about $4654.
> The machine contains the following:

> Enterprise 250 Server Tower
> 32x CD-ROM
> 10/100 NIC
> 360 Watt power supply
> 1 300-MHz processor
> 256MB ram
> 1 18 gig 10,000rpm UltraSCSI drive
> PGX Graphics PCI card

> Thanks for any input.

> Steve

1. Sun SparcCenter 2000 - "To Buy or Not To Buy"

We are looking for a machine which (due to its probably high cost)
will have to serve 3 functions:

   1> Be a high-traffic USENET server: feeds come in via NNTP/INN
      and go out to other machines on a dedicated local ethernet
      just set up for news transfers.

   2> Be a secondary nameserver for a large number of hosts

   3> Be a BBS that can support 200-300 or more users at once.
      Users would be dialing into terminal servers and connecting
      from there via telnet. The BBS we would use (First Class)
      provided clients for Windows, X-Windows, etc, so you can
      see that there will be alot of traffic, not just users pecking
      away at the keyboards

Here are a couple of concerns that I have. Correct me if I'm wrong about
any of these things:

   1> SunOs vs Solaris: Are SunOS and Solaris the same thing?? I have
      been warned to stay away from Solaris 2 as it is incompatible with
      the rest of the known universe.  I used to work with Sun 3's and
      like SunOS 4 due to its BSD-ish nature. We'll need to compile our
      own software which needs a solid SVR3 or BSD header file set. What
      exactly is Solaris (System V, R3 or R4, or what)? Should I worry??
      If SunOS is different, is it supported anymore?? Is it even available
      for the Sparc Center systems??

   2> Support for Serial I/O: It seems to me that Sun's aren't to keen on
      supporting multiple serial ports. (most systems come with only 2).
      Does Sun sell multiple serial cards?? If so, are they "smart", like,
      for instance, a digiboard card? If Sun doesn't sell them, are there
      third party OEM's which sell them??

    3> Anyone know the dimensions of a SparcCenter 2000 cabinet?? Is it
       like one of those gawd-awful Sun 3/180's which are 6 feet tall??

    4> High-performance ethernet?? We'll need two interfaces in this
       baby and they have to be fast. Any comments on experience with
       the Sun ethernet performance enhancer attachments??

 We are looking at a memory configuration of 256MB and 2-2.1GB hard
drives. I base this on the fact that the W.E.L.L. has a machine and had
to upgrade to 128MB since it was too slow with 64MB. They run picospan
which is un-sophisticated (no GUI's/clients) and they aren't running
a major nameserver.

I have sent these questions to Sun and our local distributor but as we
are looking at spending ~$100K, I need all of the input I can get from
as many places as I can get it.

Thank you all in advance

John Hudak

2. can you spare a model

3. Want to buy SUN Sparcprinter(365-1089)

4. Case suggestions for visor deluxe.

5. WANTED to buy - SUN SPARC 5 & 20 & ULTRAs

6. How to reset screen defaults for cmd.exe

7. Newbie question - Buy an IPC?

8. Help -- Internet Mail

9. Buy Upgrade CPU like a ROSS Master Reseller !!!

10. Which Sun can I buy?

11. Advice on buying old Sun System

12. Looking to buy an SMD disk

13. Where to buy Sun hardware at great prices?