Help re SCSI Ethernet adapter

Post by sviriy.. » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 01:24:46

This is what the Sun Documentation states:

The SUNW,hme device provides 10BASE-TX or 100BASE-T networking
interfaces using the Fast Ethernet Parallel Port
     SCSI (FEPS) ASIC and an internal transceiver. The driver
automatically sets the link speed to 10 or 100 Mbps and conforms
     to the 100BASE-T IEEE 802.3u Ethernet standard. The FEPS (SBus
based) or PFEX (PCI-bus based) ASIC provides the
     SBus or PCI interface and Media Access Control (MAC) functions. The
internal transceiver, which connects to an RJ-45
     connector on all of the above hardware devices, provides the
physical layer functions.

     In addition to the RJ-45 connector, a Media Independent Interface
(MII) connector, which is an Ultra DB 40 connector, is
     also provided on Sun systems. The MII connects to an external
transceiver that may use any physical media, such as copper
     or fiber as specified in the 100BASE-TX standard. When an external
transceiver is connected to the MII, the driver selects
     the external transceiver and disables the

     internal transceiver. The external transceiver may also support the
100BASE-T4 standard, which allows the link to operate in
     100 Mbps speed using four pairs of category 3 or better cable.

For more info please refer the following site:

docs.sun.com and goto these sections:
Solaris 2.6 Hardware: 5/98 on Sun Hardware AnswerBook  >>  Platform
Notes: The hme FastEthernet Device Driver

suri.

Quote:> Hello

> I wonder if anyone can help me, I am fairly new to sun hardware and I
am
> confused as to the configuration of the ethernet adapters in our Ultra
> 10-440.

> It appears that it is connected to our network via the built in
adapter on
> the motherboard, but what's getting me confused is the fact it is
referred
> to as /dev/hme0, having looked at the output from 'prtconf' it
indicates
> that the 'hme' device is the one on the SCSI adapter.

> I need to configure both adapters, the currently connected one as is,
and
> the one on the SCSI adapter with a live IP address assigned to us by
RIPE.

> Thanks in advance, caus I am really struggling.

> Regards

> David Frost

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by sau.. » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 17:24:18

> It appears that it is connected to our network via the built in adapter on
> the motherboard, but what's getting me confused is the fact it is referred
> to as /dev/hme0, having looked at the output from 'prtconf' it indicates
> that the 'hme' device is the one on the SCSI adapter.

> I need to configure both adapters, the currently connected one as is, and
> the one on the SCSI adapter with a live IP address assigned to us by RIPE.

what does:

#ifconfig hme1 plumb; ifconfig -a

produce?

Regards,

Chris
--

Unix Guy                     Powered by Linux and the Orb.

1. ====== HELP: Who makes coax-Ethernet adaptor for SS20?? ======

Hello,

We are working with a SparcStation 20 that needs to be connected
up to a network consisting of thin coax cable.

I am trying to find out a list of suppliers of adaptors -
where one end will connect to the back of one of the SS20's ethernet
connectors (either type) and on the other end will allow for a
thin coax T connection.

Thanks in advance for any info/pointers to:

2. WTB: Sparc10,LX,IPX

3. DataList Inside a Datalist

4. Quad FastEthernet SBus Adapter with Quad Ethernet adapter in Ultra 2

5. Chess - Check Positions???

6. FS: SCSI / Async / Ethernet SBus Adapters at LOW prices

8. FS: SBus Adapters - SCSI / Async / Ethernet - LOW prices

9. FS: PTI SCSI / Async / Ethernet SBus Adapters