Frame cannot find Acrobat Distiller printer instance

Frame cannot find Acrobat Distiller printer instance

Post by kelly_p.. » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 04:22:15

I installed Acrobat Pro 8 and now I can no longer create pdfs from Frame 7. I get the following message:

FrameMaker could not find Acrobat Distiller printer Instance, which must be installed to execute Save as PDF command.

Is there a way to fix this w/out having to reinstall Frame?

Frame cannot find Acrobat Distiller printer instance

Post by Van_Ku.. » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 05:21:51

Kelly,

Reading from your other post...when you install Acrobat 8 Pro, it will tell you that only one version should be installed on one machine. Therefore, it should have "killed" the older versions. The version 8 installation should have installed version 8 of Distiller. If there is NO version of Distiller on your computer, then try installing Acrobat again. I have Acrobat 8 Pro AND Frame 7 installed, and Frame works fine.

To know that everything is OK, when you print from Frame, select Adobe PDF as the printer. It will make the PDF directly, doing the distilling in the background; no need to use Distiller directly, unless you want to. If there is NO Adobe PDF printer, then something is wrong with the installation process.

Van

Frame cannot find Acrobat Distiller printer instance

Post by Arnis_Gub.. » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 05:28:22

Print to the AdobePDF printer instance - it's the same thing.

Did you uninstall the older version of the Distiller/Acrobat prior to
installing the new version? You probably have a Registry entry that is
still pointing to the old Distiller instance. If you're comfortable
with using regedit, then you can find it and fix it.

You could try something like CCleaner to clean out your Registry. If
that still doesn't do it, then uninstall both and re-install, with
Acrobat first, then FM and do not install FM's PDF creator tool.