Stale NFS File Handles on HPUX 10.20

Post by Kote » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 16:42:10

A number of NFS-mounted file systems have now become unavailable on a
server, as they have been removed on the remote host server-which is all OK
:)

However, on the local server, when I do a "bdf", I get the message :

Stale NFS file handle

How do I get rid of these ? Coming from a Sun background, I know that I
could stop and restart the nfs.client and that this would usually solve it.
However, this does not seem to work on HPUX .

Any ideas, anyone ?

Thanks,

Raymond

Stale NFS File Handles on HPUX 10.20

Post by Alan D Johnso » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 23:44:16

Just umount them from the local machine. If that doesnt work then remove
the entries from /etc/fstab

> A number of NFS-mounted file systems have now become unavailable on a
> server, as they have been removed on the remote host server-which is all OK
> :)

> However, on the local server, when I do a "bdf", I get the message :

> Stale NFS file handle

> How do I get rid of these ? Coming from a Sun background, I know that I
> could stop and restart the nfs.client and that this would usually solve it.
> However, this does not seem to work on HPUX .

> Any ideas, anyone ?

> Thanks,

> Raymond

Stale NFS File Handles on HPUX 10.20

Post by MFrk » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 06:44:57

You will be able to unmount the stale nfs file system only prior doing a
bdf...after doing a bdf, your only recourse is to reboot the
device to clear the stale nfs file handle. I don't think HP has a fix for
that.

-M