2GB filesize limits in HP-UX11i (11.11) 64 bit

2GB filesize limits in HP-UX11i (11.11) 64 bit

Post by Fukeride » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:56:54

Hello,
some oracle 9i tablespaces have exceeded 2 GB file size.
As there are 2 GB file size limits both
in cpio and tar and pax, I no longer can backup them to tape.
Is the split command the only workaround.
Any help greatly appreciated.

--
H. Fukerider Arch. BDA

Post by Chris Watkin » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:00:22

> Hello,
> some oracle 9i tablespaces have exceeded 2 GB file size.
> As there are 2 GB file size limits both
> in cpio and tar and pax, I no longer can backup them to tape.
> Is the split command the only workaround.
> Any help greatly appreciated.

> --
> H. Fukerider Arch. BDA

Use fbackup instead?

--
Chris

2GB filesize limits in HP-UX11i (11.11) 64 bit

Post by Paul Sur » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:08:06

Quote:> Is the split command the only workaround

Yep there is. Even seen it a few years ago. Try a web search with

oracle tar cpio limit

Paul

2GB filesize limits in HP-UX11i (11.11) 64 bit

Post by rick rhode » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 09:21:56

online.com:

Quote:> Hello,
> some oracle 9i tablespaces have exceeded 2 GB file size.
> As there are 2 GB file size limits both
> in cpio and tar and pax, I no longer can backup them to tape.
> Is the split command the only workaround.
> Any help greatly appreciated.

I believe out on itrc I saw a patch for 11i that allows tar to handle
files up to 8gb.  Also, you can installed gnu tar which handles files
bigger than 2gb.

Post by Frank Slootwe » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:03:23

> Hello,
> some oracle 9i tablespaces have exceeded 2 GB file size.
> As there are 2 GB file size limits both
> in cpio and tar and pax, I no longer can backup them to tape.
> Is the split command the only workaround.
> Any help greatly appreciated.

> --
> H. Fukerider Arch. BDA

  cpio, tar, pax, etc. are inappropriate for backing up today's systems
because they are too limited, lack error-recovery features, etc.. As
Chris mentions, you should at least use fbackup, and preferably a more
suitable backup product like HP's OmniBack.

2GB filesize limits in HP-UX11i (11.11) 64 bit

Post by Ulrich Wind » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:45:44

Does split support large files then? ;-)

> > Is the split command the only workaround

> Yep there is. Even seen it a few years ago. Try a web search with

> oracle tar cpio limit

> Paul

2GB filesize limits in HP-UX11i (11.11) 64 bit

Post by Ulrich Wind » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:44:52

See my thread on large files: There are patches for tar and cp
available, but not for full terabyte-sized files (tar only supports
8GB).

Ulrich

Post by Frank Slootwe » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:47:17

> Does split support large files then? ;-)

  Well, actually it does. See the "HP-UX Large Files White Paper" I
mentioned in your recent thread ("2GB filesize limits in HP-UX11i
(11.11) 64 bit").

Post by Frank Slootwe » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:49:45

>> Does split support large files then? ;-)

>   Well, actually it does. See the "HP-UX Large Files White Paper" I
> mentioned in your recent thread ("2GB filesize limits in HP-UX11i
> (11.11) 64 bit").

  OOPS. That was this thread. I meant to say "VxFS -o largefile and
system support for HP-UX 11i/64".

>>> Yep there is. Even seen it a few years ago. Try a web search with

>>> oracle tar cpio limit

>>> Paul

2GB filesize limits in HP-UX11i (11.11) 64 bit

Post by Ian Springe » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 00:17:46

Quote:> See my thread on large files: There are patches for tar and cp
> available, but not for full terabyte-sized files (tar only supports
> 8GB).

Here are a few more details on these patches (I'll be adding this to the
faq):
Because of industry standards and interoperability goals, neither tar, cpio,
pax, nor dump support the archival of files larger than 2GB. fbackup,
however, does support the archival of large files. However, the following
patches can be applied to 11.11 to remove the file size limitation from the
tar or pax commands:

o tar: PHCO_26423

o pax: PHCO_26422

Post by Alan D Johnso » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:22:03

>>See my thread on large files: There are patches for tar and cp
>>available, but not for full terabyte-sized files (tar only supports
>>8GB).

> Here are a few more details on these patches (I'll be adding this to the
> faq):
> Because of industry standards and interoperability goals, neither tar, cpio,
> pax, nor dump support the archival of files larger than 2GB. fbackup,
> however, does support the archival of large files. However, the following
> patches can be applied to 11.11 to remove the file size limitation from the
> tar or pax commands:

> o tar: PHCO_26423

> o pax: PHCO_26422

>>Ulrich

>>>Hello,
>>>some oracle 9i tablespaces have exceeded 2 GB file size.
>>>As there are 2 GB file size limits both
>>>in cpio and tar and pax, I no longer can backup them to tape.
>>>Is the split command the only workaround.
>>>Any help greatly appreciated.

>>>--
>>>H. Fukerider Arch. BDA

Isn't pax a posix tool? shouldn't it be able to deal with larger
files/archives? I know we have had this discussion before :-),... but I
would think that the limitations should have been overcome, wouldn't it
be nice if we had a utility that REALLY worked between systems... ha ha.

2GB filesize limits in HP-UX11i (11.11) 64 bit

Post by Fukeride » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:57:34

Thanks a lot to all of you.
fbackup does the job now.

--
H. Fukerider Arch. BDA

Post by Ken Gree » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:16:54

> >>See my thread on large files: There are patches for tar and cp
> >>available, but not for full terabyte-sized files (tar only supports
> >>8GB).

> > Here are a few more details on these patches (I'll be adding this to the
> > faq):
> > Because of industry standards and interoperability goals, neither tar, cpio,
> > pax, nor dump support the archival of files larger than 2GB. fbackup,
> > however, does support the archival of large files. However, the following
> > patches can be applied to 11.11 to remove the file size limitation from the
> > tar or pax commands:

> > o tar: PHCO_26423

> > o pax: PHCO_26422

> >>Ulrich

> Isn't pax a posix tool? shouldn't it be able to deal with larger
> files/archives? I know we have had this discussion before :-),... but I
> would think that the limitations should have been overcome, wouldn't it
> be nice if we had a utility that REALLY worked between systems... ha ha.

pax when writing in tar format can't get round the limitation. The tar standard
has a 12byte field to store the filesize in, and it stores it in an octal string.
1 byte
is used for the null terminator of the string, so you've really only got 11
bytes,
these can each carry 3bits of size information, so 33bits worth (8G) is the max
size that tar can support. Anything bigger and it just isn't tar.

Cheers

Ken

2GB filesize limits in HP-UX11i (11.11) 64 bit

Post by Ian Springe » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:13:55

Quote:> Here are a few more details on these patches (I'll be adding this to the
> faq):
> Because of industry standards and interoperability goals, neither tar,
cpio,
> pax, nor dump support the archival of files larger than 2GB. fbackup,
> however, does support the archival of large files. However, the following
> patches can be applied to 11.11 to remove the file size limitation from
the
> tar or pax commands:

> o tar: PHCO_26423

> o pax: PHCO_26422

It should be noted that applying the above pax patch would allow you to
archive up-to-8GB files into either tar _or_ cpio format, since pax supports
both formats.

Post by Frank Slootwe » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:02:14

>> Here are a few more details on these patches (I'll be adding this to the
>> faq):
>> Because of industry standards and interoperability goals, neither tar,
> cpio,
>> pax, nor dump support the archival of files larger than 2GB. fbackup,
>> however, does support the archival of large files. However, the following
>> patches can be applied to 11.11 to remove the file size limitation from
> the
>> tar or pax commands:

>> o tar: PHCO_26423

>> o pax: PHCO_26422

> It should be noted that applying the above pax patch would allow you to
> archive up-to-8GB files into either tar _or_ cpio format, since pax supports
> both formats.

  Do you have any reference that pax would allow 8GB files in *cpio*
format? The pax patch only mentions USTAR, i.e. tar, format. If pax
would allow 8GB files in cpio format, then it would be logical for cpio
to do the same, but it doesn't. And (AFAIK), there is no patch for
cpio.

  AFAIK, the problem is the c_filesize (see cpio(4)) which is still
32-bits, probably signed, i.e. 2GB max. While cpio's 'ASCII' format
("-c") would *theoretically* allow 8GB, because Longfile is written in
"%11lo" format, i.e. 11 octal digits, the fact that cpio can be used in
'binary' format (no "-c") sets the theoretical limit to 4GB (32-bits
unsigned) and the practiacl limt to 2GB (32-bits signed).

  I would like to be proven wrong, but I'm afraid I'm not.

1. 64-bit itanium hp-ux11i migration issues

Anyone out there with experience in porting to itanium,
HP-UX 11i and 64-bit?  If so, have you found any issues?

We have an itanium system and the migration is going but
slowly.

We have not been able to break an approximately 800
megabyte boundary for 32-bit priograms on itanium.  There
appears to be no 3rd and 4th quadrants as on the K-series
(where a 32-bit program can be 3.8 GBytes).  If someone knows
how to break the 800 mbyte boundary, please let me know.

Why do 32-bit programs have an 800 mbyte memory limit
(data space)?

Compiling to 64-bit has other minor but annoying things
that require changing code and its taking a lot of time.

We seem to have a memory leak in that memory memory does
not get released from large programs.  We have had memory
usage go to 100% and stay there even after the program
stops.  Reboot is the solution.  We'll call that one in
to HP on next week.  Perhaps it is known and we need a patch?
(we have full support)

(we do know about http://devresource.hp.com/STK for porting
issues, but haven't found these things discussed)

I sure like the speed of the itanium!

Roger Clark

2. Matlab Range?

3. HP-UX11i Installation for 32/64 bit more

4. Can UserControls catch their own exceptions? .NET Event problem?

5. 10.20 tar filesize limit problem (2GB!)

6. My IExtractIcon and IContextMenu do not work,why??

7. compatibility of hp-ux 10.10 32 bit to hp-ux 11.00 64 bit ??

8. WANTED: Piccolo

9. Install 64 bit C/C++ libraries on a 32 bit HP-UX system

10. 32 bit HP-UX application make use of gcc 64 bit shared library

11. HP-UX 11.00 64 bit boots 32 bit kernel

12. HP-UX 11.x 64-bit and pstat_getproc in 32-bit mode

13. HP-UX 11.0: How to tell 32-bit or 64-bit kernel?