HELP: Printing PS to non-PS printers

Post by Igor Streharsk » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm looking for some way to print postscript files to non-ps printers.
Currently I have one virtual printer defined in each HP-UX based
workstation's spooler - I call it 'ps'. This is actually remote printer
to another printer 'pista', and in /usr/spool/lp/interfaces/ps I have
replaced the call to rlp with the following line:

echo "quit" | /usr/local/bin/gs -sDEVICE=ljet3 -sPAPERSIZE=a4 \
"-sOutputFile=|(lp -or -dpista -onb -p5)" $1

Now, the problem is that I am not sattisfied with the output of print
jobs. This might be because I use drivers for LaserJet3 in Ghostscript,
and my printer is 4P (at least I explain it to myself this way).
Next thing I tried was putting '...-sDEVICE=ljet4' but then gs
complains. Since I don't know much about ghostscript (and even less
about Postscript), could someone point me to right direction?

Oh, I forgot to mention: systems involved are various flavours of HP-UX
from 9.05 up, i.e. 9.05, 10.10 & 10.20, and it HAS to be this way.
Furthermore, what today is 10.20, tomorrow can be 9.05 and vice versa.
Therefore, I can't rely on SharedPrint (am I wrong?) - I rather need
what I call universal approach, which eventually I could fbackup or
tar on tape, and restore later.

I need this in order to print from Netscape, Acroread, LaserROM,...

Any suggestions are welcome.

   igor

Hermes Plus d.o.o.    | HPDESK: Igor STREHARSKI /AL7100/Y5
Osekovska 18          | Tel.: +385-(0)1-2331-061               \\|//
10000 Zagreb, Croatia | Fax.: +385-(0)1-2331-930               (o o)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-ooO-(_)-Ooo

HELP: Printing PS to non-PS printers

Post by Homer Haze » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have heard of a package called ghostscript - that might be in the public
domain.  I do not know what it runs on, but it supposedly runs on your
computer, and turns the postscript data into bit maps.

Hope this helps
Larry

HELP: Printing PS to non-PS printers

Post by Mark Liebma » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

If you need a solution for printing to non-PostScript printers,
especially under HP-UX (since you asked), then you should
check out Vividata's PostShop.  It has very easy
installation, configuration, and offers a lot of choice in printers:
all of the HP, Epson, Canon, and compatible inkjets and lasers,
all compatibles, and more.

Here is one unsolicited news posting by a customer:

> Newsgroups:   comp.sys.sun.hardware

> there is an easy solution.  Get PostShop from Vividata, Inc.  It will turn
> a low level HP printer into a thing of wonder on your workstation.

******
PostShop is available for a free 30 day trial from Vividata's website:
   http://www.vividata.com

It will let you print PostScript to non-PostScript inkjets
and PCL lasers.  PostShop has a starting price of $495, and
you can be printing color Postscript for literally thousands
of dollars less than if you bought a color laser printer.

Sun Site-licensed it company-wide worldwide for their own employees.
It's also now the replacement for NeWSPrint recommended
by Sun. We made it plug-and-play for the original SparcPrinters.
PostShop has also been widely adopted in the US DoD for mission-
critical applications.

PostShop has:
   An automated print queue creator tool
   An automated software installer
   Full-online manuals in Acrobat PDF and HTML
   Fast performance
   drivers for many non-PostScript printers
   a commercially licensed PostScript RIP
   35 commercial-grade fonts
   Automatic Image file format recognition: GIF, TIFF, JPG, Sun Raster,
etc.
   Full UNIX print queue integration so that you can print from any
   application (NetScape, WordPerfect, WABI/Soft Windows apps, Applix,
etc.)
   to the HP, Canon, and Epson inkjets and lasers
   and best of all: Vividata support!

The cost is $495 for most printers, and higher for SCSI dye-sub
printers, and big plotters.  There are discounts for resellers and end
users
in quantity, and for educational institutions and students.

Vividata also makes some other great imaging "solutions":
   ScanShop(R)  - scanner image capture application, complete with
                  drivers.
   FaxShop(tm)  - client/server fax package
   OCR Shop(tm) - Optical Character Recognition software with the
                  Caere OmniPage Techology!

The products are available on a unified distribution CD.  It has HTML
and Acrobat
PDF manuals, an on-cd version of the Vividata website, and all of the
software
packages for all of the platforms we currently support:
  Sun OS 4.1.3 and higher (Solaris 1.x) on SPARC (SparcStations,
  servers, etc.)
  Sun Solaris 2.4 and higher on SPARC on SparcStations, servers, etc.
  Sun Solaris x86 2.4 and higher on Intel x86 PCs (i.e. "Pentium", etc.)
  Hewlett Packard HP-UX 9 and 10
  Digital Equipment "Digital UNIX" v3.2 and higher (formerly OSF/1) for
  Alpha AXP
  Silicon Graphics IRIX v5 and v6 on MIPS - soon
  IBM AIX for RS-6000 soon.

--
Mark Liebman
Vividata, Inc.

tel. 510/841-6400 x101
fax  510/841-9661

http://www.vividata.com

1. Q: Print Postscript to a NOT PS enhanced HP Color LaserJet 5 Printer?

Hello,

we have a NOT PS enhanced HP Color LaserJet 5 Printer. We want to print
Postscript files on it from a HP9000/715 running HPUX 09.03.
- Is this possible?
- How can we convert the Postscript file into a PCL file? The latest
ghostscript version doesn't seem to have an appropriate device driver.

Thanks for your help

Tom

2. What is the difference between PKZIP and GZIP?

3. pictures printed on PS printer

4. Cisco 804 Router 4Sale

5. non-HP PS/2 keyboard as system console keyboard

6. Seagate Phone # ?

7. Adapter to use non-HP PS/2 keyboard on 715/100XC?

8. Receive Notification of New Adapters/Changed IPs

9. help print postcript files in a non-postcript printer

10. plaintext to PS in printer model

11. HP-UX Driver for Deskjet 1200C/PS Printer

12. DeskJet 1200C/PS printer timeout problem

13. Setting up a (PS) printer spooler