Novell Client32 losing data

Post by Francois Desrocher » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi all.

I am working for a software company with products running on HP3000 and
HP9000. One of our products uses the block-mode feature of HP terminals
(700/9x series). Block mode is more common on HP3000 but is available on the
9000 as well.

One of our customer is using WRQ's Reflection terminal emulator v5.21 to
connect to a K460 via telnet. They are using Windows 95. They use Novell
Client32 as the TCP/IP stack. The K460 is running with HP-UX 10.20.

For the last few months (probably since upgrading to 10.20), they have been
experiencing data loss with our product. It is a full-screen editor that
allows you to modify/create files using block-mode. The advantage is your
edits are done "offline" and are transmitted to the UX machine only after
you press a function key or the ENTER key (on the numeric keypad). At that
point, the whole screen (24 lines of 80 bytes or so) is transmitted.

On a regular basis, the 9000 does not receive all the lines. It might miss
one or two lines. The editor then just assumes the user has deleted them.

We have other customers with similar setups except for the TCP/IP stack.

My questions are:

1) does anyone know of problems using Client32 with UX 10.20? Any problems,
not just this one.
2) is there an easy for us to make sure that what leaves the PC actually
makes it to the UX machine? Local-Host tracing?
3) is there a way to see if there are network errors (incomplete packets) ?

Any hint or suggestions on this?
TIA,

Francois Desrochers - Robelle Consulting Ltd.

1. nettl/netfmt losing data

We are trying to monitor FTP and ping transactions on a 24 hour basis.
Unfortunately, some data is lost when the trace files are swapped.

Here are the command lines we are using:

# /usr/sbin/nettl -tn all -e ns_ls_driver -m 96 -s 1024 -tracemax 99999
-f /tmp/tr
# netfmt -N -l -c /etc/netfmt.filter -F -f /tmp/tr.TRC0

We are minimizing the problem by making the trace file as large as
possible, but the problem still exists. When /tmp/tr.TRC0 gets full and
is moved to /tmp/tr.TRC1, we often get the tail end of the FTP cut off
(no FINs). We tried piping nettl|netfmt directly, but even more gets
lost this way. HP tech support has not been of any help yet. Any ideas
on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Ron

2. career opport. Speech Lang. R&D @ Nuance

3. Help: mkfs-data lost??

4. Window Messenger Audio Tuning Wizard problem??

5. C3000/B1000 losing data on serial port at 115200 bps

6. Terminal emulation problems (or, curses! foiled again)

7. Sendmail 1.39.111.2 lost data in message body

8. Insight?

9. Need to recover lost fbackup data: DAT tape

10. DHCp & Novell SLP configuration

11. NFS mount Novell drives?

12. How To Install a New HPUX 10.* on old Novell Server Box