disk space usage cost accounting tool?

Post by Michael Holze » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

has someone written a tool to generate user based disk usage
information,
as input for cost accounting?
I looked already in CPAN but didn't find an existing solution.

My solution idea:

ll /users
du -s (by user)
script in sh or PERL to :
- calculate cost (du * price)
- lookup user informations for accounting in reference file(s)
    like billing location (ie. /etc/passwd), supervisor,...
- summarize by billing location
- send email to user and supervisor/billing location responsible person

disk space usage cost accounting tool?

Post by John Pezzan » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Have you looked at system accounting - a feature of unix for many years?

> Hi,

> has someone written a tool to generate user based disk usage
> information,
> as input for cost accounting?
> I looked already in CPAN but didn't find an existing solution.

> My solution idea:

> ll /users
> du -s (by user)
> script in sh or PERL to :
> - calculate cost (du * price)
> - lookup user informations for accounting in reference file(s)
>     like billing location (ie. /etc/passwd), supervisor,...
> - summarize by billing location
> - send email to user and supervisor/billing location responsible person

disk space usage cost accounting tool?

Post by Aleksandar Simi » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

As  a part of system accounting there is disk accounting. If you look
through
SysAdmin tasks manual you will find the whole chapter dedicated to system
accounting. The catch here is that HP has stopped printing system
accounting
information as a part of SysAdmin Tasks manual with release 9.x of HP-UX.
Call hp support line and they will fax you a document on how to set it up
etc..
Or, if you were lucky to save that 9.x SysAdm Tasks manual, ... BTW system
accounting hasn't change between versions 9 and 10 (don't know about 11).

Sipa

> Hi,

> has someone written a tool to generate user based disk usage
> information,
> as input for cost accounting?
> I looked already in CPAN but didn't find an existing solution.

> My solution idea:

> ll /users
> du -s (by user)
> script in sh or PERL to :
> - calculate cost (du * price)
> - lookup user informations for accounting in reference file(s)
>     like billing location (ie. /etc/passwd), supervisor,...
> - summarize by billing location
> - send email to user and supervisor/billing location responsible person

1. Disk Space Usage

Hi all, My boss is convinced that there is an adjustable parameter that
reserves a specified amount of disk space for use by the system. Is this
true? We are using HP-UX 10.20.  If this is true, how would I go about
adjusting it and what are the bare minimums that should be maintained.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Thomas

2. Error from VMS Sort -- again

3. Looking for a tool to analyse the usage of a N-class

4. Hide email information in source view

5. How can I know the disk space for every hard disk?

6. Help! 2 Printers on 1 PC

7. disk usage question

8. Rat Lady

9. sar disk usage -d question

10. Gathering Disk usage info

11. How do you restrict the disk usage of a user or group

12. Monitoring disk performance/usage in HP-UX

13. Utility/Script to monitor users Disc usage?