Year 2000 patching after the fact

Post by Robert Gilste » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I am throwing out this one just in case so don't think the worst..

Assuming there are some problems with year 2000 rollover, trivial ones,
major ones how easy would it be to patch HPUX 10.20 or 11 after the
fact?  I can assume multiple architecture types on this one, but I'll
stick to HP hardware for this newsgroup.

Robert L. Gilster

Post by Ray Robe » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>I am throwing out this one just in case so don't think the
worst..

>Assuming there are some problems with year 2000 rollover,
trivial ones,
>major ones how easy would it be to patch HPUX 10.20 or 11 after
the
>fact?  I can assume multiple architecture types on this one, but
I'll
>stick to HP hardware for this newsgroup.

>Robert L. Gilster

Good question.

I think the most likely scenario for a catastrophic Unix failure
is the cron process mis-firing.  Depending on what the particular
scripts do, there's the potential for local disaster.  HP's IT
Resource Center is down again as I write this, but as I recall
one of HP's Y2K patches did deal with cron.  In the same category
would be BIOS problems that reset system time and similarly
trigger cron inappropriately.

Perhaps a SysAd would be wise to disable as much cron activity as
possible that fateful weekend.

Karnak thinks the second most likely failure would involve
incremental backups and file purges.  A system cursed with
problems in both could delete a file erroneously without having
backed it up.  I don't specifically recall a reported problem
with HP's find or frecover utilities.

Other than that I'd expect random sorts of failures and interface
problems involving sliding century mismatches, i.e., "05" meaning
2005 to one process but 1905 to the other.  Custom scripts (and,
of course, database applications, although that's outside the
scope of your question) are probably most at risk.

Ray Robert
Three Star Software, Inc.
Portland OR