Bootpd again ...

Post by Cameron Porte » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

Is there an option to get the old "hardware address not found" error
messages to report back into syslog from bootp?  After upgrading our
clients system from 9.04 to 10.20, bootp stop doing this. However, the
client would use this info to add entries in bootptab. Is there a
compile option that would enable bootpd in 10.20 to do this? I tried
debug level 3 with no luck (or am I missing something) I found this
excerpt on an earlier post:
        "I have created patches for HP-UX 9.x and 10.01 that basically
suppress
        these "addr not found" messages.  It is built in permanently
starting
        at 10.10.  This is really only a band-aid fix, but if your main
problem
        is the disk filling up with the syslog messages this will take
care of it. "
I need just the opposite!!! I dont want those messages suppressed

------------============*******============------------
Cameron D. Porter            School: University of Arkansas
Box 2366, U. of A.           Objective: Get people off AOL!
Fayetteville Ar, 72702       Resume:http://www.engr.uark.edu/~cdp2/
Office: Engr 314A            Office #: 501-575-2754

Post by David Dalt » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

:>Is there an option to get the old "hardware address not found" error
:>messages to report back into syslog from bootp?  After upgrading our
:>clients system from 9.04 to 10.20, bootp stop doing this. However, the
:>client would use this info to add entries in bootptab. Is there a
:>compile option that would enable bootpd in 10.20 to do this? I tried
:>debug level 3 with no luck (or am I missing something) I found this
:>excerpt on an earlier post:

:>        "I have created patches for HP-UX 9.x and 10.01 that basically
:>suppress these "addr not found" messages.  It is built in permanently
:>starting at 10.10.  This is really only a band-aid fix, but if your main
:>problem is the disk filling up with the syslog messages this will take
:>care of it. "

:>I need just the opposite!!! I dont want those messages suppressed

I guess this shows the truth of the old adage:
   you can't please all of the people all of the time

I can think of two things that could help you.  First, the messages will
still appear in the syslog, but now they are at DEBUG level instead of
NOTICE level.  Most people setup their syslog.conf to screen the debug
messages because there are so many of them.  If you change this line in
your /etc/syslog.conf file you will get tons of messages, including the one
you want:

# syslogd configuration file.
*.info;mail.none        /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log   # OLD

*.debug;mail.none       /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log   # NEW

Then do "kill -HUP syslogd_pid_here" to force syslogd to re-read the
config file.

But you can't really run this way for long or your disk space will
disappear.  So my second suggestion is to use the "call-on-unrequited"
callback of the DHCP server.  This is a user-supplied executable file
(usually a shell script) that is executed whenever a request comes in that
gets no reply.  The hardware address of the unfulfilled client is passed as
a parameter to the user executable.  See the bootpd(1m) manpage for full
details.  (fragment below)

A word to the wise:

The callbacks are a very powerful feature of the HP-UX DHCP server,
especially when combined with /usr/sbin/dhcptools to adjust the state of
the DHCP server while it is running.  The amount of customization that you
can do is limited only by your imagination.

Very soon the format for the callbacks will change slightly, to make them
less confusing.  Right now each of the six callbacks has their own
parameter list, and they are all different:

call-on-unrequited:  filename: client-id htype haddr [gateway]

call-on-assignment:  filename: client-id htype haddr ipaddr subnet-mask
                       lease-expiration [hostname]

call-on-decline:  filename: client-id htype haddr ipaddr subnet-mask

et cetera......

Soon we will introduce a new tag in the dhcptab file:  callback-style
with values OLD and NEW.  The new style will be the same for all of the
callbacks:

call-on-XXX:  filename: client-id htype haddr ipaddr subnet-mask
                       lease-expiration hostname gateway

and any parameters that aren't appropriate for an individual callback will
be replaced by "00" (much the way client-id works now).  The default
callback style will be OLD, but I think most people will prefer the
consistent format of the NEW style.

--
-> My $.02 only   Not an official statement from HP {They make me say that}
--

 bootpd(1M)

           call-on-unrequited=filename

                 This tag specifies an executable file filename that will be
                 called when the server receives a request to which it
                 cannot send a response.  Certain arguments will be passed
                 in; the call executed will be:

                       filename: client-id htype haddr [gateway]

                 where client-id is the client ID in hex if present, or 00
                 if there is no client ID.  htype is the hardware type as
                 per the  ARP section of the "Assigned Numbers" RFC.  haddr
                 is the hardware address in hex.  gateway is the IP address
                 of the bootp relay agent.  If the packet was not relayed,
                 then this field is absent.

1. FETCHMAIL IS BORING ME AGAIN AND AGAIN

Can someone help me???
I've picked up "fetchmail" on a linux's site. I've followed
carefully the install instructions,
but i just can't compile it. Indeed, my hp-ux machine
(V11.0)  returns me the following message... :

$ make
expect conflicts: 2 shift/reduce
        yacc -dt .rcfile_y.y

conflicts: 2 shift/reduce
        mv y.tab.c rcfile_y.c
        mv -f y.tabg.h rcfile_y.h
        cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c -I. -I. -O rcfile_y.c
        lex     ./rcfile_l.l.
".rcfile_l.l" linr 155: error 3: Parse tree too big, Try
using %e num 1000/1000 nodes (%e),
0/3000 positions(%p), 1/5000(%n), 0 transitions, 0/1000
packed char classes(%k),
0/4000 packed transitions(%a), 0/7000 output slots(%o)

*** Erreur-code de sortie!
Arrt
$

==>If anyone understands this foreign language, answer me.
Thanks and "allez les bleus pour l'EURO 2000!!!".

2. Multiple Win98 configurations possible?

3. bootpd stop from loading??

4. Update on recording sound from emulators

5. bootpd on hpux 10.20

6. Rusky Duck?!

7. bootpd error opening /etc/dhcpd in syslog

8. Experiences with McCabe's tool testing C++

9. bootpd error in syslog.log

10. How to mask bootpd posts in Syslog.log

11. dhcp from bootpd

12. bootpd error message

13. 10.10 bootpd (DHCP): could not add hardware address: 0060B0AD0D5F