Printing Postscript to Deskjet

Post by Nigel Cla » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me how to print Postscript files on a Deskjet 890C printer from hp-ux 10.20. ???
Having setup printer as various deskjet models, i can print a good banner page with boxes, shading,
and various font text., but can only print Text files to follow.
The script uses PCL format banner to create the banner page i can see that, but how can i convert
.ps files to .pcl format.
I have tried using ImageMagick to create pcl files, but when printed i just get a lot of blank
pages.

Anyone able to help or point to detailed information source

TIA
Nigel Clark

Post by Joerg Honerl » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell me how to print Postscript files on a Deskjet 890C printer from hp-ux 10.20. ???
> Having setup printer as various deskjet models, i can print a good banner page with boxes, shading,
> and various font text., but can only print Text files to follow.
> The script uses PCL format banner to create the banner page i can see that, but how can i convert
> .ps files to .pcl format.
> I have tried using ImageMagick to create pcl files, but when printed i just get a lot of blank
> pages.

> Anyone able to help or point to detailed information source

> TIA
> Nigel Clark

Install ghostscript (gs)

Joerg Honerla
University Duisburg
Germany

Post by Nigel Cla » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> Can anyone tell me how to print Postscript files on a Deskjet 890C printer from hp-ux 10.20. ???
>> Having setup printer as various deskjet models, i can print a good banner page with boxes, shading,
>> and various font text., but can only print Text files to follow.
>> The script uses PCL format banner to create the banner page i can see that, but how can i convert
>> .ps files to .pcl format.
>> I have tried using ImageMagick to create pcl files, but when printed i just get a lot of blank
>> pages.

>> Anyone able to help or point to detailed information source

>> TIA
>> Nigel Clark

>Install ghostscript (gs)

>Joerg Honerla
>University Duisburg
>Germany

hardly the most useful of answers !!

Post by Tapani Tarvaine » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> >> Can anyone tell me how to print Postscript files on a Deskjet
> >> 890C printer from hp-ux 10.20. ???
> >Install ghostscript (gs)

> >Joerg Honerla
> hardly the most useful of answers !!

Well it is pretty much the right answer. Ghostscript sources
are easy enough to find in the net, but you can also find
precompiled binaries for HP-UX in

http://hpux.csc.liv.ac.uk/

with easy-to-follow instructions.

Any of the older Deskjet drivers should work somehow, but
to get most out of the 890 you should install the driver
from ftp://bonk.ethz.ch/gs-driver-distrib/...
which seems to be down, but if that isn't temporary
point Altavista to hp8xxs13.zip and you should find
it easily enough.

Once you have Ghostscript installed you can incorporate
it in the printer interface script so it recognizes and
converts PS files automatically, making it appear just
as if it were a PS printer.

--
Tapani Tarvainen

Post by Gerhard Schneide » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

:>> The script uses PCL format banner to create the banner page i can see that, but how can i convert
:>> .ps files to .pcl format.
:>> I have tried using ImageMagick to create pcl files, but when printed i just get a lot of blank
:>Install ghostscript (gs)
:>
:>Joerg Honerla
:>University Duisburg
:>Germany
: hardly the most useful of answers !!

It was THE most useful answer possible.

[VERBOSE ON]

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

For GhostScript 5.x there are drivers for various Deskjet models.

You didn't mention if you converted .ps to what version of .pcl.
HP laser printers use PCL5, Deskjets use something like PCL3.

With GhostScript you can convert a PostScript or PDF file to that slang your
Deskjet understands..

[VERBOSE OFF]

                                                        GS
--

Institute of Light Weight Structures (E317)     Tel.:   +43 1 58801 31716
Technical University of Vienna / Austria        Fax:    +43 1 58801 31799

Post by Dan A. Merc » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: > >> Can anyone tell me how to print Postscript files on a Deskjet
: > >> 890C printer from hp-ux 10.20. ???

: > >Install ghostscript (gs)
: > >
: > >Joerg Honerla

: > hardly the most useful of answers !!

: Well it is pretty much the right answer. Ghostscript sources
: are easy enough to find in the net, but you can also find
: precompiled binaries for HP-UX in

: http://hpux.csc.liv.ac.uk/

: with easy-to-follow instructions.

: Any of the older Deskjet drivers should work somehow, but
: to get most out of the 890 you should install the driver
: from ftp://bonk.ethz.ch/gs-driver-distrib/...
: which seems to be down, but if that isn't temporary
: point Altavista to hp8xxs13.zip and you should find
: it easily enough.

Can you add drivers to gs without recompiling?  Every time I
need a new driver,  I wind up having to rebuild from scratch.
There's gotta be an easier way.

: Once you have Ghostscript installed you can incorporate
: it in the printer interface script so it recognizes and
: converts PS files automatically, making it appear just
: as if it were a PS printer.

: --
: Tapani Tarvainen

--
Dan Mercer

Printing Postscript to Deskjet

Post by Tapani Tarvaine » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> : Well it is pretty much the right answer. Ghostscript sources
> : are easy enough to find in the net, but you can also find
> : precompiled binaries for HP-UX in

> : http://hpux.csc.liv.ac.uk/

> : with easy-to-follow instructions.

> : Any of the older Deskjet drivers should work somehow, but
> : to get most out of the 890 you should install the driver
> : from ftp://bonk.ethz.ch/gs-driver-distrib/...
> Can you add drivers to gs without recompiling?  Every time I
> need a new driver,  I wind up having to rebuild from scratch.

Oops. Yes, so do I. My suggestions above are indeed somewhat
misleading: the precompiled binaries won't help if you want to add the
new driver. Sorry about that.

--
Tapani Tarvainen

Printing Postscript to Deskjet

Post by Nigel Cla » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Thanks to all who responded.
The Deskjet 890C seems to work quite well when setup as follows.

Setup printer using PCL5 model script.
To print postscript files use "gs" with DEVICE=deskjet or cdeskjet for
quicker prints,  cdjmono or cdj550 for slower better quality prints.

Output to printer via pipe or to a file to print later.

Print using "lp -d<printer> -onb -oraw <filename>"

Have not used more recent drivers as I have precompiles version of gs.

Thanks again

Nigel Clark

Post by Dan A. Merc » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: Thanks to all who responded.
: The Deskjet 890C seems to work quite well when setup as follows.

: Setup printer using PCL5 model script.
: To print postscript files use "gs" with DEVICE=deskjet or cdeskjet for
: quicker prints,  cdjmono or cdj550 for slower better quality prints.

: Output to printer via pipe or to a file to print later.

: Print using "lp -d<printer> -onb -oraw <filename>"

: Have not used more recent drivers as I have precompiles version of gs.

: Thanks again

: Nigel Clark

you can always modify the interface script to do a "file" on the
input file and see if it is postscript and then have the interface
file run gs for you.  That way your users can remain ignorant of the
actual plumbing.

--
Dan Mercer

1. Printing postscript to DeskJet 1600CM on HPUX10.10 - postscript level 1 or 2 ?

I'm trying to print postscript graphics to a HP1600CM DeskJet connected
on the same LAN as my C100 workstation, running HPUX10.10. I've
installed the HP-JetAdmin for UNIX package, HPNP_SD.d0315.

Printing text works okay, however when I try and lp a postscript file
(an image saved from XV in postscript format), the printer gives me a
single page with the message "ERROR: configurationerror" "OFFENDING
COMMAND: setpagedevice" "STACK:".

I could not find the "setpagedevice" command in my .PS file at all.
After experimenting, I was able to get it to print properly by selecting
Postscript Level 1 instead of Postscript Level 2 (the default) in the
jetadmin software. The offending command appears to be coming from the
Jetadmin for UNIX software.

According to the manuals, the DeskJet1600CM supports Postscript level 2,
so why doesn't it work by default? Am I losing out on anything by using
postscript level 1 instead of 2?

Regards,

.sha

2. Looking for more info like HAKMEM and /* NOTREACHED */

3. Printing color postscript to HP DeskJet 2000C

4. Lost my PSION S5

5. Ghostscript processing of postscript for Deskjet 500?

6. Virtual Desktop Recommen

7. printing to color deskjet from HP-UX

8. Marquee Text Derived from Access Database Results

9. deskjet 600c and netscape printing error

10. printing on a deskjet

11. !!! Printing .xmd on Deskjet 520

12. Printing XWD files on DeskJet 1200C with AIX

13. Config printer for postscript printing