change HP diskless client IP address

Post by dkegar.. » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I have an HP-UX 10.20 725 server and a couple 715 diskless clients.
The clients boot over the LAN and NFS mount their file system.
I need to change the IP address of both the server and the clients.
HP says the only way to do this is to start over and rebuild the
server and then add the clients!
Is there a way to change the IP addresses in some config files
to do this without starting over?
Any help would be appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Pete Smo » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I have an HP-UX 10.20 725 server and a couple 715 diskless clients.
> I need to change the IP address of both the server and the clients.
> HP says the only way to do this is to start over and rebuild the
> server and then add the clients!

If you get in trouble, that's the easiest way.

Quote:> Is there a way to change the IP addresses in some config files
> to do this without starting over?

Let's see if I can remember all the spots.

You'll need to update your DNS and/or NIS servers, if you use them.

Update /etc/hosts.  I can't recall whether this file is shared between
the server and clients, so you may need to update it for all clients.

Update /etc/bootptab on the server.  This contains, among other
things, the IP address of the clients, indexed by ethernet address.

Update /etc/rc.config.d/netconf on the servers and clients.

If you set the primary boot paths on your clients to point to the
server's IP address, fix that.

If you have any stuff listed by IP address in inetd.sec, fstab,
exports, sendmail.cf, etc., fix all those.  To be really careful, I'd
just grep for the old IP addresses in every last file on the server.

I think that should about cover it, but it's been over three years
since I last thought seriously about diskless stuff, so I could have
missed something.

-- Pete "Used to be HP's NFS Diskless guy" Smoot
   I don't work for HP any more

1. diskless client ip address change

We successfully changed the IP addresses of a diskless server and 3
clients
by the following procedure:

-shut down clients
-use SAM on server to change IP address
-change to new hosts file
-reboot server

-change IP's on server in
 /etc/bootptab

-change IP's on server for each client in
 /export/private_roots/clienthostname/etc/rc.config.d/netconf

-change to new hosts file in
 /export/private_roots/clienthostname/etc/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. How to Uninstall IE 5.5

3. How to change IP address on HP UX 10.2?

4. digital equipment

5. changing IP address and host name on HP-UX 11.0

6. LaTeX style file for printing addresses.

7. How to change IP address on an HP UX 10.x ?

8. Unix crypt function for DOS

9. Changing IP-address in HP-UX 9?

10. Numeric IP address changes for 2 of our HP-UX archive services

11. Changing IP Address of a NIS Server

12. need to change IP address for printer

13. how to change the ip address