Mail lock file problem. Help!

Post by Trevor Philli » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

We have a problem with mail. When mail is sent, a lock file is created in
/usr/mail for the person, with attribs 000, and is never removed. The sent
mail is written to a file in /tmp, and never appended to the users mail file.

Can anyone please tell me what could be wrong here?? Everything was working as
is previously; we had a power outage and since reboot it's been dead.

The /usr/mail dir is NFS mounted from another HP. I've checked the attribs of
/usr/mail and the mail folders. This is HP-UX 9.05.

Please reply to news, as I can't receive mail.
-_^

Thanks ...

 Trevor Phillips      -      http://www.cage.curtin.edu.au/~phillips/ .

| School of Surveying and Land Information    -   Curtin University    |
| On nights such as this, evil deeds are done. And good deeds, of     /
| course. But mostly evil, on the whole.                             /
 \      -- (Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)                          /

Mail lock file problem. Help!

Post by Trevor Philli » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>We have a problem with mail. When mail is sent, a lock file is created in
>/usr/mail for the person, with attribs 000, and is never removed. The sent
>mail is written to a file in /tmp, and never appended to the users mail file.

It's OK. Found the problem. rpc.statd wasn't running on the machine with the
mail directory.
^_^;;;

 Trevor Phillips      -      http://www.cage.curtin.edu.au/~phillips/ .

| School of Surveying and Land Information    -   Curtin University    |
| On nights such as this, evil deeds are done. And good deeds, of     /
| course. But mostly evil, on the whole.                             /
 \      -- (Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)                          /

1. Mail spool file locking problems during mail delivery

Howdy all,

Intermittently, and seemingly with users at random, mail delivery
fails with the error:

mail: /usr/mail/USER.lock not creatable after 10 tries
/usr/mail/USER.lock: Interrupted system call
550 USER... Can't create output

where USER is replaced with the user name of the addressee.  Once
this starts to happen with a particular person, lockd must be
killed and restarted before that person can receive mail again.

This indicates to me that the file has been lockf'd, but was
never subsequently unlocked.   I installed patch PHNE_3424 which
is supposed to fix (amongst other things):

        File/record locks hanging over NFS (including ksh and mailx)

but it hasn't seemed to help.  Logs from statd and lockd don't
show anything suspicious.

Although many people read their mail from this /usr/spool/mail
parititon via NFS mounts, our sendmail only delivers mail into
the partition on one system.

If this problem sounds familiar to anyone, or anyone has any
suggestions as to where I might look further for a solution, I
would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks!
Tom

Tom Marazita            | Center for Computational Sciences and Engineering
                        | 3107 Engineering 1

Tel: 805 893-3221       | Santa Barbara, CA 93106

2. C++?? I need a incrementing time function

3. NFS/file locking/mail sharing problems on HPUX 9.0.5

4. Importing data into the database on 100LX

5. Locking inboxes in /var/mail - without causing local agent (mail) to bounce mail

6. Too many template arguments?

7. Help : Mail lock problem

8. help with /bin/rmail lock creation problem on *HFS* file systems

9. Mail file locking

10. /usr/mail/*.lock files get left around

11. mail file (automounted on Sun) locks

12. root.lock problem on NFS mounted /usr/mail