Scsi2 disks connected to scsi bus.

Post by Marco BAN » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Could I connect SCSI2 ultra wide drives to a scsi ultra wide bus. ?
The problem is the connectors ? In my understanding until the difference
is the speed .. no problem. If the difference is the signal (8 or 16
bits; differential or not) then problems.

Any suggestion about a good card for scsi2 on linux + discs (seagate)

--
Marco BANO
Network administrator Consultant

Office : ++49 6151 807536

Post by k.. » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Could I connect SCSI2 ultra wide drives to a scsi ultra wide bus. ?

yes

Quote:>The problem is the connectors ? In my understanding until the difference
>is the speed .. no problem. If the difference is the signal (8 or 16
>bits; differential or not) then problems.

no problem with a 68p-50p adapter with high byte active termination

Quote:>Any suggestion about a good card for scsi2 on linux + discs (seagate)

most modern controllers are reliable, just shop for one with its
layout of connectors most suitable for your needs.  if you're cost
conscious, then add up the total data transfer rates of all your
devices and see what kind of bandwidth you require, a lot of people
are paying for fasionable u2w bandwidth which their gadgets can never
even explore.  generally, adaptec is expensive and tekram is good
value.

Post by Ron Reaug » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Could I connect SCSI2 ultra wide drives to a scsi ultra wide bus. ?

What do you mean by the "2" above? The names you are using aren't well
formed.

Post by Ken Roger » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Could I connect SCSI2 ultra wide drives to a scsi ultra wide bus. ?
> The problem is the connectors ? In my understanding until the difference
> is the speed .. no problem. If the difference is the signal (8 or 16
> bits; differential or not) then problems.

> Any suggestion about a good card for scsi2 on linux + discs (seagate)

> --
> Marco BANO
> Network administrator Consultant
> EUMETSAT
> Am Kavalleriesand 31
> 64295 DARMSTADT
> Germany

> Office : ++49 6151 807536

ULTRA WIDE DRIVES use a 68 pin high density D connector. Its 100% compatible
with any UW scsi controller..

Ken

Post by Marco BAN » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> >Could I connect SCSI2 ultra wide drives to a scsi ultra wide bus. ?

> yes

> >The problem is the connectors ? In my understanding until the difference
> >is the speed .. no problem. If the difference is the signal (8 or 16
> >bits; differential or not) then problems.

> no problem with a 68p-50p adapter with high byte active termination

> >Any suggestion about a good card for scsi2 on linux + discs (seagate)

> most modern controllers are reliable, just shop for one with its
> layout of connectors most suitable for your needs.  if you're cost
> conscious, then add up the total data transfer rates of all your
> devices and see what kind of bandwidth you require, a lot of people
> are paying for fasionable u2w bandwidth which their gadgets can never
> even explore.  generally, adaptec is expensive and tekram is good
> value.

Ehi, thank you.

So, wait a moment. I have a Fast wide differential bus. (hight voltage
differential, hp server). The connector are 68 pin.
Which kind of disks I could connect (suppose they have 68 pin connector)
1) Ultra2 SCSI wide 80MB/sec
2) Ultra SCSI wide   40MB/sec

3) Ultra SCSI-3 wide (??) What is scsi-3 is referred to speed ?)

CIAO

--
Marco BANO
Network administrator Consultant
EUMETSAT
Am Kavalleriesand 31
64295 DARMSTADT
Germany

Office : ++49 6151 807536

Scsi2 disks connected to scsi bus.

Post by Ron Reaug » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

-snip

Quote:>So, wait a moment. I have a Fast wide differential bus. (hight voltage
>differential, hp server). The connector are 68 pin.
>Which kind of disks I could connect (suppose they have 68 pin connector)

Only classic F[W] or U[W] ->differential<- SCSI HDs may be used.

Using regular(single ended) F[W] or U[W] SCSI HDs may cause smoke.

Quote:>1) Ultra2 SCSI wide 80MB/sec

No.  However some Quantum LVD models may operate in HVD mode.

Quote:>2) Ultra SCSI wide   40MB/sec

Yes,  IF they are U[W]D  differential. OR F[W]D differential.

Quote:>3) Ultra SCSI-3 wide (??) What is scsi-3 is referred to speed

There is no SCSI-3.

1. C160: F/W scsi bus & SE scsi bus: one and the same?

Are the F/W SCSI and SE SCSI buses in a HP C160 completely separate buses,
or are they logically the same bus? I.E., can I have a device at scsi ID 1
on both buses?

Maybe I'm just plain wrong, but I always took a 'scsi bus' to be an
independent IO pathway with its own IDs and whatnot. If this isn't the
case... well, all I'll say is that my Mac has two independent scsi buses. ;)

Thanks for any info.

-RossR
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Edison Welding Institute/NJC | T3 FOR MY CISCO!!!! DO YOU

2. Announce: Tiger Map Data Files 250899153514

3. ultra fast differential Scsi disks on A FWD bus.

4. Connection to the server was reset, I don't know how to fix

5. How many more disks can be added to a FWD SCSI bus before saturation?

6. ADSI connection to Domino LDAP fails after several hours

7. SCSI-2 Differential on FW-SCSI bus?

8. UDL file support in ADO.NET?

9. Type of SCSI disk to connect to a HP712/60

10. HP K-100 FWD SCSI2 disk vendor

11. SCSI bus of a HP 9000 712/60

12. Error on SCSI bus

13. SCSI bus overrun on 715/50