Share one HP server with two NT servers with SAMBA?

Share one HP server with two NT servers with SAMBA?

Post by Jim » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I have a rather urgent need for information on whether we can use SAMBA
to get an HP K570 server (running 10.20) to share itself with two
Windows NT4 servers. /admin on the HP/UX server, Charlie, is already
shared out to one team but now another team, running a second
application, also needs Samba access to Charlie. We're currently
running SAMBA 2.0.7 so upgrading to a more current version of SAMBA
would not be an problem.

Is there a way to get Charlie to respond as two different names (one to
each group) or we can run two concurrent SAMBA sessions (one for each
NT server)... I hope I've explained this clearly. If you have
questions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Share one HP server with two NT servers with SAMBA?

Post by Jim » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Let me take another crack at explaining what we're trying to do here...

Right now, the Unix server is sharing its /admin with an NT box
as "SILVERADO", for instance.

What we'd like to do is to get the same Unix server to share another
directory with another NT box as "CAPECOD".

Despite my babbling in the first post, multilple access is not the
problem. We need the Unix box to assume, say, a different NETBIOS name
to each of the two NT servers...

I hope that clearer... Thanks!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Share one HP server with two NT servers with SAMBA?

Post by Ron Cohe » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Let me take another crack at explaining what we're trying to do
here...

> Right now, the Unix server is sharing its /admin with an NT box
> as "SILVERADO", for instance.

> What we'd like to do is to get the same Unix server to share another
> directory with another NT box as "CAPECOD".

> Despite my babbling in the first post, multilple access is not the
> problem. We need the Unix box to assume, say, a different NETBIOS name
> to each of the two NT servers...

> I hope that clearer... Thanks!

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

[SILVERADO]
path=/admin
user=silverado

[CAPECOD]
path=/foo/bar
user=capecod

        _rony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Share one HP server with two NT servers with SAMBA?

Post by Jim » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

We came up with something this morning that we think will work using
Samba's "netbios aliases" feature (which I stumbled across late last
night):

[global]
     netbios aliases = SILVERADO CAPECOD
     include = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%L

We then created smb.conf.silverado and smb.conf.capecod files and it
appears to work. The "%L", though presents the server's netbios name in
lowercase. That had us going for a while.

I'd appreciate comments on our suggestion (above) relative to Rony's
(THANKS, RONY!!!).

Post by Colin McKinnon - No Spam pleas » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Let me take another crack at explaining what we're trying to do here...

> Right now, the Unix server is sharing its /admin with an NT box
> as "SILVERADO", for instance.

> What we'd like to do is to get the same Unix server to share another
> directory with another NT box as "CAPECOD".

> Despite my babbling in the first post, multilple access is not the
> problem. We need the Unix box to assume, say, a different NETBIOS name
> to each of the two NT servers...

> I hope that clearer... Thanks!

I think it _may_ be possible by runing two instances of Samba - i.e. setting
up an additional Lan interface and restricting each version to one
interface, but you'll probably need to do something clever to get it to
respond to broadcast name queries (only bind one instance of nmbd to
0.0.0.0) See the smb man page sections on 'interfaces' and 'bind interfaces
only'.

The smb list might be more help, but I'd think V E R Y   L O N G  and  H A R
D  about whether you can make do with only a single NetBios name.

Colin

1. Connecting an an HP A3546A model DLT Tape Library two two servers

We have an HP A3546A model DLT Tape Library connected to a K460 server.  We
have an identical K460 situated adjacent to the first, and wish to use both
servers to write to the library.

We have experienced disappointing results writing from the unconnected
server via our network.  Has anyone tried connecting such a device to two
different servers?

Thanks
Neil

2. PAS-16 SCSI driver

3. DLT drive sharing with two servers?

4. SGI + Scanner, what kind of software is available?

5. Join printers from 4 server to one server

6. Casio DA-7

7. Anything better than samba for exporting directory as share on NT network ?

8. secondary-line and 6509 switch

9. one workstation, one xterm, two monitors , SAME session

10. Latest samba (1.9.17p4) on HP/UX (10.20) crashes Domain Name Server

11. Setting up an NT based FAX Print Server from HP-UX

12. HP D250 as NT server