Using 3com 3c597 under HPUX 10.20?

Using 3com 3c597 under HPUX 10.20?

Post by Sven Cronenbe » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 04:34:18



I have some older HP-Workstations (9000/720 and 735b)
standing around here and got some 3c597 ethernet cards
because I want to coonnect them to 100mbit ethernet.

I want to know if it is possible to use the 3c597
card with HPUX 10.20.

I treid out the phobos H100 driver bescause
if have heard that the Phobos cards are relabeled
3c597 cards. I did not succes with the latest
version of the H100 driver, becuase it compliance
about "unknown hardware".

I guess the situation is just like on the SGI Indigo2
system: The Phobos cards for these systems are slightly
modified 3c597 card and the phobos driver refused
working with all standart 3c597 card, if the driver
is not patched.

So I want to know if anyone out there has found a
solution to make the standart 3c597 cards work
under HPUX 10.20.

Sven

 
 
 

Using 3com 3c597 under HPUX 10.20?

Post by Oliver Lehman » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 07:14:47


The same here, the Phobos Kernel module detects "unknown" hardware. but
the card is correctly installed (eisa_config and ioscan shows the card)
So.. same problem here ;)

Greetings Oliver
--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
                -- Albert Einstein

 
 
 

Using 3com 3c597 under HPUX 10.20?

Post by Rick Jone » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 06:24:28



> So I want to know if anyone out there has found a solution to make
> the standart 3c597 cards work under HPUX 10.20.

You would have to either patch (nefarious) or write a driver to accept
that card.

rick jones
--
Wisdom Teeth are impacted, people are affected by the effects of events.
these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway... :)
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...

 
 
 

Using 3com 3c597 under HPUX 10.20?

Post by Steve Kuerver » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:40:00


In an earlier message in this forum, someone mentioned a patch method.  I
think it was IRIX related, but should apply (as the Phobos IRIX card was the
same as the HPUX card with a different driver).

As far as I know, the Phobos card is just a different firmware on the
card... one wonders if they would allow us to have the firmware mods now
that they are no longer selling the card.

Steve Kuervers
Systems Manager
Simulation Centre (Edmonton)
DND Canada


Quote:> The same here, the Phobos Kernel module detects "unknown" hardware. but
> the card is correctly installed (eisa_config and ioscan shows the card)
> So.. same problem here ;)

> Greetings Oliver
> --
> "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
> War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
>                 -- Albert Einstein

 
 
 

Using 3com 3c597 under HPUX 10.20?

Post by Alan D Johnso » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:48:30


The reply and driver files where originally for SGI, the post was in the
last 2 weeks, because I have a 735 that is the only 10MB system left on
my net and if I could get a card for it I would be all set too! Look up
the thread  because there are good files for the HPUX port and the
workarounds, it uses the "vendor" driver with a slight hack. Anyone got
a card they want to sell cheap? Thankx.

> In an earlier message in this forum, someone mentioned a patch method.  I
> think it was IRIX related, but should apply (as the Phobos IRIX card was the
> same as the HPUX card with a different driver).

> As far as I know, the Phobos card is just a different firmware on the
> card... one wonders if they would allow us to have the firmware mods now
> that they are no longer selling the card.

> Steve Kuervers
> Systems Manager
> Simulation Centre (Edmonton)
> DND Canada



>>The same here, the Phobos Kernel module detects "unknown" hardware. but
>>the card is correctly installed (eisa_config and ioscan shows the card)
>>So.. same problem here ;)

>>Greetings Oliver
>>--
>>"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
>>War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
>>                -- Albert Einstein

 
 
 

Using 3com 3c597 under HPUX 10.20?

Post by Oliver Lehman » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:16:10


On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 02:48:30 GMT

Quote:> The reply and driver files where originally for SGI, the post was in the
> last 2 weeks, because I have a 735 that is the only 10MB system left on

Take it as a good point ;). I only have FDDI, and no PCI card and/or FDDI
cable to setup a router. So my 735 is not connected to my LAN :(

Greetings Oliver

--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
                -- Albert Einstein

 
 
 

Using 3com 3c597 under HPUX 10.20?

Post by Alan D Johnso » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:10:08


Why cant you use the onboard 10MB lan interface?

> On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 02:48:30 GMT

>>The reply and driver files where originally for SGI, the post was in the
>>last 2 weeks, because I have a 735 that is the only 10MB system left on

> Take it as a good point ;). I only have FDDI, and no PCI card and/or FDDI
> cable to setup a router. So my 735 is not connected to my LAN :(

> Greetings Oliver

 
 
 

Using 3com 3c597 under HPUX 10.20?

Post by Oliver Lehman » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:25:08


On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 08:10:08 GMT

Quote:> Why cant you use the onboard 10MB lan interface?

There is no 802.3 Module. The 735/125 was shipped wit a network "module"
which you can plug it in or remove it.
(http://pofo.de/pics/private/home/2001-now/02/31.jpg) And these module is
a FDDI module, OR a 802.3 module. And i got a 735/125 with a FDDI
module...

Greetings Oliver

--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
                -- Albert Einstein

 
 
 

1. 3com X2 and HPUX 10.2

If someone has settings that you are using in the Dialers, Devices and
(if you are using iij-ppp) ppp.conf, for a 3com X2 modem, I would
appreciate some input.

What connect speeds can you get.  It seems to be able to connect okay
with cu at line speed set to 115200 unless I call another X2 modem.
With ppp, I have to set the speed down to 38400 and it seems to connect
REALLY slow with non-X2 modems and not at all with them.

--
Bruce Towle

2. Switchable hub comparison: Lannet vs Ungermann Bass

3. HP-UX 10.20 with 3Com OfficeConnect ISDN Lan Modem

4. 80min CDR

5. Print to file using lp on hpux 10.20

6. NYT and the OS/2 Article

7. using SCSI floppy on HPUX 10.20 system

8. playing games on Windows 98

9. HPUX 10.20 to 11.0 using NNM 6.1

10. using harddrive from 715 in 735 (hpux 10.20)

11. Using a Deskjet 2000C under HPUX 10.20

12. Pb on using gdb under HPUX 10.20

13. Using Ksh on HPUX 10.20