Changing Duplex Setting on LAN Card

Post by Marvin Kaplans » Sun, 24 Jun 2001 08:44:25

For some reason, the LAN card in my HP9000 K360 was set to half duplex
instead of full duplex by the previous sys admin.

How do I go about changing this on the running system as well as
permanently. Is a reboot necessary?

Marvin Kaplansky
HP-UX Newbie

Changing Duplex Setting on LAN Card

Post by David Mab » Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:29:10

I do not believe that you can set the card to full duplex.  If so, I
think lanadmin would be the tool.

--
David H. Mabo, CPCM
Adaptix Corp. - Cincinnati, Ohio

Changing Duplex Setting on LAN Card

Post by Alan D Johnso » Sun, 24 Jun 2001 20:38:19

If it is capable of 100FD you should be able to use lanadmin -X (nmid)
100FD. use lanadmin -x (nmid) to find out what the settings are. Use
lanscan to find out what the nmid or ppa # is. You really have to be
carefull, a lot of switchs are real picky about the settings, you want
to do that from the console because you might loose network
connectivity, AND... make sure the switch that you are using supports
full duplex, hubs WILL NOT support it.

Post by Vartan Narinia » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 01:59:14

>For some reason, the LAN card in my HP9000 K360 was set to half duplex
>instead of full duplex by the previous sys admin.

>How do I go about changing this on the running system as well as
>permanently. Is a reboot necessary?

As Alan said, use lanadmin -X 100FD <nmid> where <nmid> is the ID of the
interface. You get the NM ID from lanscan.

To make the change permanent, look into /etc/rc.config.d/ for a file
called hpbasetconf or hpbase100conf. Put it in there. Leave the Station
Address blank, but fill in the interface name and put '100FD' for the
speed.

No reboot is necessary, but the interface will reset and that will take a
few seconds during which it won't be working.

--
Vartan

Changing Duplex Setting on LAN Card

Post by Sean » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 01:10:28

man lanadmin

I believe it's lanadmin -X ppa N -FD  but I might be wrong.

My favorite books:

HP-UX:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130600814/petgeeks/
Sendmail:   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565922220/petgeeks/
Sed & Awk:   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565922255/petgeeks/
Perl:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596000278/petgeeks/
Solaris:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072121432/petgeeks/

Quote:> For some reason, the LAN card in my HP9000 K360 was set to half duplex