/etc/logingroup

Post by Matt Fost » Wed, 21 May 1997 04:00:00

: This problem occurs on our HP 755 and C110 workstations running HP-UX
: 9.07. We are using NIS (SunOs 4.1.4 master). There is a :+ at the bottom
: the /etc/group file on the HP clients. Any ideas would be appreciated.
:

: Anthony J. Lennon

Trying to do a NIS lookup of all of roots groups, when in fact
the network is not started, so it may take some time?

Matt
--
| Matt Foster | Transactional Systems | DiverseyLever |
| +44 (0)1 494 468 380 (V) | +44 (0)1 494 468 217 (F) |

/etc/logingroup

Post by Anthony J. Lennon - System Admi » Wed, 21 May 1997 04:00:00

I was having trouble booting single user mode from the ISL prompt (using
the command ISL> hpux -is boot ); the system would attempt to enter single
user mode, but would end up just scrolling "Init: Single User Mode" on the
display (at which point I would have to reboot).

After much trial and error I determined that the problem was caused by a
link from /etc/group to /etc/logingroup. When I remove this link, I have
no trouble entering single user mode. The problem occurs with both
symbollic and hard links. If I copy /etc/group to /etc/logingroup, I can
enter single user mode, but do not see all my groups using the group
command (only my primary group is displayed).

This problem occurs on our HP 755 and C110 workstations running HP-UX
9.07. We are using NIS (SunOs 4.1.4 master). There is a :+ at the bottom
the /etc/group file on the HP clients. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Anthony J. Lennon

1. Question to /etc/group and /etc/logingroup in HP-UX 9.07

Our server was installed by a company, which did some, well, weird things.
I cannot get any information from them (they are only interested on a long
maintanance contract) so I have to try to figure things out a bit.
I have a user that I would like to put into two groups.  However, when I do
this using SAM, the user still does not obtain privilages for the second
group.  Then I read about the /etc/group and /etc/logingroup and that the
second is best set up as a link to the first.  On our server, there is not
only no link, but the /etc/logingroup files doesn't even exist.
My questions would be:
1. can I achieve what I am trying to do by making the proposed link
/etc/logingroup to /etc/gourp?
2. will I endanger anything else that is already running on the system or
security by doing this?
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
--John

2. Question about a NDIS driver

3. /etc/logingroup, /etc/group and NIS problem

4. No Server Object in VI

5. Linking /etc/logingroup to /etc/group

6. My Telocity experience in Ft Lauderdale so far

7. CDE doesn't use /etc/logingroup?

8. IPSec

9. Distributing /etc/logingroup using NIS

10. CDE and logingroup

11. dtlogin and logingroup

12. CDE login doesn't look at logingroup (HP-UX 10.20)

13. group/logingroup broken in 10.10?