Stale NFS handle

Post by Sean Lavell » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

After  a power outage (actually 2) I am in trying to set the NFS mounts
back up.  Everything is going smoothly until I get to the HPUX machine.
I try to mount /accts and I get:
mount: /accts: Stale NFS file handle
So I check out the faq and it says to unmount it hen remount so I try to
unmount it and get :
umount: /accts: Stale NFS file handle
I try to remove the directory but I m told that I can't. Any help would
be greately appreciated

        Thanks ,

        Sean

    --
Sean Lavelle
  Concentus Technology Corporation

Stale NFS handle

Post by Jim Hollenba » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

: After  a power outage (actually 2) I am in trying to set the NFS mounts
: back up.  Everything is going smoothly until I get to the HPUX machine.
: I try to mount /accts and I get:
: mount: /accts: Stale NFS file handle
: So I check out the faq and it says to unmount it hen remount so I try to
: unmount it and get :
: umount: /accts: Stale NFS file handle
: I try to remove the directory but I m told that I can't. Any help would
: be greately appreciated

system?

On 10.20 there is a patch that fixes the problem, I thought it was part
of 11.00.

--
Jim Hollenback

Stale NFS handle

Post by Sean Lavell » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> system?

> On 10.20 there is a patch that fixes the problem, I thought it was part
> of 11.00.

> --
> Jim Hollenback

It is a 10.20 system.  I'll look for the patch.  Thanks.

    Sean

--
Sean Lavelle
  Concentus Technology Corporation
  5115 Parkcenter Ave, Suite 150
  Dublin, Ohio 43017
Phone (614) 799-4317

Stale NFS handle

Post by Michael F Lavell » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Sean,
    Don't you have to remove /etc/mnttab on old UNIXen when you run into
this?

BTW,
    Say hi to mom :-)

> After  a power outage (actually 2) I am in trying to set the NFS mounts
> back up.  Everything is going smoothly until I get to the HPUX machine.
> I try to mount /accts and I get:
> mount: /accts: Stale NFS file handle
> So I check out the faq and it says to unmount it hen remount so I try to
> unmount it and get :
> umount: /accts: Stale NFS file handle
> I try to remove the directory but I m told that I can't. Any help would
> be greately appreciated

>         Thanks ,

>         Sean

>     --
> Sean Lavelle
>   Concentus Technology Corporation
>   5115 Parkcenter Ave, Suite 150
>   Dublin, Ohio 43017
> Phone (614) 799-4317

Stale NFS handle

Post by Jost Lindeman » Mon, 21 Aug 2000 04:00:00

..
> > After  a power outage (actually 2) I am in trying to set the NFS mounts
> > back up.  Everything is going smoothly until I get to the HPUX machine.
> > I try to mount /accts and I get:
> > mount: /accts: Stale NFS file handle
> > So I check out the faq and it says to unmount it hen remount so I try to
> > unmount it and get :
> > umount: /accts: Stale NFS file handle
> > I try to remove the directory but I m told that I can't. Any help would

..

The problem is, that the client tries to mount a 'uncertain' mountpoint.
Sio you need to reboot the client.
In addition, you must verify that the mountpoint is still existing on the
machine that exports that directory. It must not be a link, it has to be a
physical directory.

Assuming you are using hpux 10.20 or similar, the STALE FILE HANDLE (when
trying to umount a mountpoit to a stale file handle) was a bug and there is
a patch available on hp's website
Jost