sendmail problems (unable to qualify own domain name)

sendmail problems (unable to qualify own domain name)

Post by Swamp Foetu » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Can anyone help me with this problem.
Whenever I reboot the machine I get a "sendmail([862]:unable to qualify own
domain name(bylonl))" error.  Also, the message sometimes appears on the
console.
I have had this problem with another of out machines (byldev3) but when I
changed the name to (byldev) everything was OK.
bylonl used to be named 'byldemo3' and 'byldemod330' at some point in it's
life, but the problem didn't go away when I changed the name.
Can anyone give me any help.
Thanks.
Brett.

Brett Graham

Post by Ralf Hildebran » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>Can anyone help me with this problem.
>Whenever I reboot the machine I get a "sendmail([862]:unable to qualify own
>domain name(bylonl))" error.  Also, the message sometimes appears on the
>console.
>I have had this problem with another of out machines (byldev3) but when I
>changed the name to (byldev) everything was OK.
>bylonl used to be named 'byldemo3' and 'byldemod330' at some point in it's
>life, but the problem didn't go away when I changed the name.

Do you have DNS entries for those machines? Or do you just make up the names?

sendmail problems (unable to qualify own domain name)

Post by Swamp Foetu » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Do you have DNS entries for those machines? Or do you just make up the

names?

We just make up the names, which are internal.

sendmail problems (unable to qualify own domain name)

Post by Ralf Hildebran » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>> Do you have DNS entries for those machines? Or do you just make up the
>> names?
>We just make up the names, which are internal.

So do you /etc/hosts ? Or a nameserver? For some strange reason your system
has problems with some names and not with others. Check if all names are in
/etc/hosts or your local DNS on all machines.

sendmail problems (unable to qualify own domain name)

Post by Swamp Foetu » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Both actually, but you just gave me a clue.  I just looked in /etc and I
didn't have a resolv.conf, unlike the machine that works.  The
/etc/mail/sendmail.cw (I think) has two entries; bylonl and
bylonl.byline.co.uk.  Without the resolv.conf specifying the domain name, I
think this may be causing the problem.
Do you agree?
I wont be able to tell until I reboot, which I can't do for while.
Thanks

Brett.

> >> Do you have DNS entries for those machines? Or do you just make up the
> >> names?

> >We just make up the names, which are internal.

> So do you /etc/hosts ? Or a nameserver? For some strange reason your
system
> has problems with some names and not with others. Check if all names are
in
> /etc/hosts or your local DNS on all machines.

sendmail problems (unable to qualify own domain name)

Post by Ralf Hildebran » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>Both actually, but you just gave me a clue.  I just looked in /etc and I
>didn't have a resolv.conf, unlike the machine that works.  The
>/etc/mail/sendmail.cw (I think) has two entries; bylonl and
>bylonl.byline.co.uk.

/etc/mail/sendmail.cw tells the local sendmail for which machines to accept
mail. If you have one mailserver that is MX for machine1, machine2 and
machine3 all of them must be in /etc/mail/sendmail.cw on the MX. Otherwise
the MX will bounce the mail.

Quote:>Without the resolv.conf specifying the domain name, I
>think this may be causing the problem.

The resolve conf tells the local resolver WHAT to append to non-FQDN before
resolving and which nameserver to query, see mine:

search stahl.bau.tu-bs.de. rz.tu-bs.de.
nameserver 134.169.69.226
nameserver 134.169.9.107
nameserver 134.169.10.20
nameserver 134.169.32.1

Quote:>Do you agree?
>I wont be able to tell until I reboot, which I can't do for while.

Huh? This is not windows! Simply kill the sendmail and restart it!

sendmail problems (unable to qualify own domain name)

Post by Swamp Foetu » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> >I wont be able to tell until I reboot, which I can't do for while.

> Huh? This is not windows! Simply kill the sendmail and restart it!

The reason I want to reboot is because I only see the message when the
machine boots up.

Brett

sendmail problems (unable to qualify own domain name)

Post by Ralf Hildebran » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>The reason I want to reboot is because I only see the message when the
>machine boots up.

Come on. Kill sendmail and start it again! This is a sendmail error message.
It wil reappear if you restart sendmail...

sendmail problems (unable to qualify own domain name)

Post by Ralf Hildebran » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Come on. Kill sendmail and start it again! This is a sendmail error message.
>It wil reappear if you restart sendmail...

/sbin/init.d/sendmail stop
/sbin/init.d/sendmail start

BTW

sendmail problems (unable to qualify own domain name)

Post by hophin » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

At sendmail 8.8.6, sendmail automatically assumes that you are using DNS and
will be returning fully qualified hostnames. If you are not, you MUST
use the following workaround to trick it.
1. At sendmail 8.8.6 (PHNE_11395 - HPUX 9.04 or equiv for other HPUX
version),
   service.switch IS NOT USED AT ALL, regardless of whether you've
   uncommented it in sendmail.cf.
2. If you are not using dns (you do not have a fully-qualified
   domain name), you MUST:
   a) Set the Dj$w macro in sendmail.cf to Dj$w. (as opposed to Dj$w
      without a dot at the end) AND here's where it differs from previous
      versions.
   b) Add an alias to /etc/hosts or the nis hosts map that ends with a .
      (for example, a pre- 8.8.6 hostfile line might look like this:
       1.1.1.1     hello       to make things work at 8.8.6, change it to
       1.1.1.1     hello     hello.These same rules apply to NIS as well.

Good Luck,
Hop-Hing

Post by Ralf Hildebran » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>At sendmail 8.8.6, sendmail automatically assumes that you are using DNS and
>will be returning fully qualified hostnames. If you are not, you MUST
>use the following workaround to trick it.

Is this a generic sendmail 8.8.6 feature or was this introduced by HP?

sendmail problems (unable to qualify own domain name)

Post by Swamp Foetu » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I've been away for a day and while I was out of the office the machine was
rebooted (I don't know why).
Anyway, I scrolled up on the console and noticed that message wasn't there.
Halleluiah!

So, I think the problem was this; having the entry bylonl.byline.co.uk in
the sendmail.cw file and not having a resolv.conf that specified the domain
byline.co.uk.  Well, it has to be, hasn't it?

Thanks.

Brett

> On 13 Dec 1999 16:03:01 GMT, Ralf Hildebrandt

> >Come on. Kill sendmail and start it again! This is a sendmail error
message.
> >It wil reappear if you restart sendmail...

> /sbin/init.d/sendmail stop
> /sbin/init.d/sendmail start

> BTW

1. sendmail can't qualify domain name

I'm trying to configure mail on a workstation running HP-UX 10.20, but
sendmail keeps generating the following error message:

        unable to qualify my own domain name (velvet) -- using short name

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Further information:

* Our mail system is very simple, just send everything to a relay host
  and let it do the hard work. To do this, I've set the following:

        DS : name of mail host (obviously)
        DR : name of mail host ('cos /var/mail is NFS mounted, and only the
                mail host has permission to write to it)
        DM : domain name (needed to allow recipient to reply to sender)

* The nsswitch file is configured for NIS followed by files, i.e. no DNS.

* The workstation doesn't use DNS, i.e. there is no resolv.conf file.
  (The NIS server has been configured to use DNS if it can't resolve the
  name using NIS).

* I've installed PHNE_11395 . Sendmail doesn't work at all without this
  patch!

* I've defined the $j macro but this doesn't help.

If anyone can help me fix this I'd be very greatful.

Thanks

David Hyams

2. Doh! Disabled SB Admin A/C

3. Domain vs. host name in reply on Sendmail

4. File transfer using Http port 80 help!

5. domain name problem

6. News Headlines of Interest

7. Ctron comp

8. How do I resolve my own host name

9. 10.20, sendmail .MISSING-HOST-NAME. problem

10. problem with sendmail (or named ??)

11. sendmail: $[ name canonicalization problem $]

12. Strange things with domain name