Stale NFS handles

Post by Ean W- » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Are there ways of getting rid of a stale NFS handle without rebooting?

All ideas welcome.

Has anybody had problems using the pfsmount utitlity and NFS errors
messages?

Just open for general discussion.

Stale NFS handles

Post by Quentin Fenness » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

    >> Are there ways of getting rid of a stale NFS handle without
    >> rebooting?

    "Michael> If a filesystem has gone away, rebooting is the only
    "Michael> thing I've found that works.  If the filesystem comes
    "Michael> back, the mount will come back.

But a filesystem that causes 'stale filehandle errors' will
not work again -- I believe NFS filehandles are not reused.

In my experience the only way to clean up mountpoints that
cause 'stale NFS filehandle' errors is to reboot the client system.

BTW - what is pfsmount?

--
Quentin Fennessy                        AMD, Austin Texas

Stale NFS handles

Post by Richard J. Rauenza » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>If a filesystem has gone away, rebooting is the only thing I've
>found that works.  If the filesystem comes back, the mount will
>come back.

Actually, I believe this was fixed by in the NFS patches in the last
year or so.

Rich
--

Technical Consultant     | I speak for me,     |   19055 Pruneridge Ave.
Development Alliances Lab|            *not* HP |                MS 46TU2

Stale NFS handles

Post by Mark J. MacLenn » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

:     >> Are there ways of getting rid of a stale NFS handle without
:     >> rebooting?
:     "Michael> If a filesystem has gone away, rebooting is the only
:     "Michael> thing I've found that works.  If the filesystem comes
:     "Michael> back, the mount will come back.
: But a filesystem that causes 'stale filehandle errors' will
: not work again -- I believe NFS filehandles are not reused.
: In my experience the only way to clean up mountpoints that
: cause 'stale NFS filehandle' errors is to reboot the client system.

While the following may not apply in the case of the original poster,
what you can sometimes do instead of rebooting is to simply stop/restart
the NFS deamons and any automounting on the client machines involved - in
this case the machine with the remote mounted disk and any client machines
that remote mount it.  The scripts nfs.server and nfs.client in
sbin/init.d will do this (HPUX10 and HPUX11).  This is what you are doing
when you reboot.  It doesn't always work, particularly if some process
has opened a file on a stale NFS mount but you can track these proceses
down using the fuser command and then kill them before running these
system scripts.
Of course, rebooting everything is always available as a last resort :-)

- MARK

Stale NFS handles

Post by Alan D Johnso » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

In our development shop we have lots of cross mounts and run in to stales
all the time. if you umount the file system then usually you can keep going
without having to reboot, even though it is not there the umount willl free
it up, as sombody else said you have to have the latest patches.

Post by scott.. » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

> In our development shop we have lots of cross mounts and run into
> stales all the time. if you umount the file system then usually
> you can keep going without having to reboot ...
> [snipped]

> > >If a filesystem has gone away, rebooting is the only thing I've
> > >found that works.  If the filesystem comes back, the mount will
> > >come back.

> > Actually, I believe this was fixed by in the NFS patches in the last
> > year or so.

> > Rich

Wqe have UX9.05 and 10.20,  and are just experiencing a round of
intermittent 'stales'- seems to happen every so often, tho not
regularlry. Very exasperating.

I just got thru goint thru each server and client, and killed the
'nfsd' and 'biod' daemons, then restarted the 'nfsd' only on the NFS
servers (it was running on some clients), andf the 'biod' on all
systems.

After doing all this, I just noticed the dreaded "stale handle" error
message on one machine. Also just then, I happened to check ping
betwee that  machine and the NFS server- and got NADA !  It was a few
minutes before ping would work, and curiously, NFS mounts became OK.

So I wonder if the fault is in the netwreork somewhere, vice the
machines.

QUESTION: Should I run BIOD on the NFS servers as well, even if they
don't mount any NFS drives?

QUESTION: Where else should I look for the cause of continuing
'stales', assuming I can rule out the servers, clients ?

Thanks in advance for any help
Scott

1. Stale NFS handle

After  a power outage (actually 2) I am in trying to set the NFS mounts
back up.  Everything is going smoothly until I get to the HPUX machine.
I try to mount /accts and I get:
mount: /accts: Stale NFS file handle
So I check out the faq and it says to unmount it hen remount so I try to
unmount it and get :
umount: /accts: Stale NFS file handle
I try to remove the directory but I m told that I can't. Any help would
be greately appreciated

        Thanks ,

        Sean

    --
Sean Lavelle
  Concentus Technology Corporation

2. service unavailable?

3. Stale NFS handle on X-station

4. CfP PAKM2002: 4th International Conference on Practical Aspects of Knowledge Management

5. Stale NFS handles

6. Autoload error - auto-autoloads - mule

7. stale NFS handle after upgrade to 10.20

8. Cut-Rate Domestic and International Calling Cards

9. stale NFS handles?

10. Regarding: Stale NFS File Handles on HPUX 10.20

11. Clearing Stale NFS file handles

12. Stale NFS File Handle

13. Stale NFS file handles