OOPS - root account disabled !!

Post by Gary Seuber » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

The fact that HP-UX 10.01 supports passwords longer than 8 characters has
bitten us.  One of our Admins tried to login as 'root' several times with
the wrong password and, as a result, the 'root' account has been "disabled"
(can't login -- can't 'su - root').

I'm about to call the Response Center to see how we can "enable" root but
I thought I'd post a quick query here in case there's a "simple" way.
Couldn't find anything in the documentation so I'm figuring we'll have
to re-boot single user and go into SAM to reset it.

Any advice appreciated - thanx!
--
Gary Seubert - UNIX Class of '73 B.C. ('B'efore 'C'pio)

"The number of UNIX installations is now above 50, and many more are
 expected."  - UNIX Programmer's Manual - Fifth Edition - June, 1974

OOPS - root account disabled !!

Post by k.. » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> The fact that HP-UX 10.01 supports passwords longer than 8 characters has
> bitten us.  One of our Admins tried to login as 'root' several times with
> the wrong password and, as a result, the 'root' account has been "disabled"
> (can't login -- can't 'su - root').
> I'm about to call the Response Center to see how we can "enable" root but
> I thought I'd post a quick query here in case there's a "simple" way.
> Couldn't find anything in the documentation so I'm figuring we'll have
> to re-boot single user and go into SAM to reset it.
> Any advice appreciated - thanx!

As I understand it, the system is not supposed to disable root from logging in
on the console.

--

Ken Green Computer Consultancy
                  22 Matthews Chase, Binfield, Berkshire, RG42 4UR.  U.K.

OOPS - root account disabled !!

Post by Bill Hasse » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: The fact that HP-UX 10.01 supports passwords longer than 8 characters has
: bitten us.  One of our Admins tried to login as 'root' several times with
: the wrong password and, as a result, the 'root' account has been "disabled"
: (can't login -- can't 'su - root').

  This has gotten several people.  When you type a password longer than 8
  for HP-UX 9.xx and before, only the first 8 were used.  Now, every
  character is significant.  The solution would have been to type exactly
  8 characters of the password, but it's too late.

  Only solution is to boot into single user mode.  You can use SAM or just
  remove the password and reboot.  Then login and change the root password
  with the passwd program.  How you do it depends on your level of paranoia.

--

           __?__
          /     \

*=============Oooo.=========*=====================================*
      .oooO   (   )
       (   )    ) /   "There are two types of computer users in the
        \ (    (_/     world...those that have lost data, and those
         \_)           that are going to."        (blh, circa 1972)

OOPS - root account disabled !!

Post by YOUNG Wo Sa » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hello How are you?

: > The fact that HP-UX 10.01 supports passwords longer than 8 characters has
: > bitten us.  One of our Admins tried to login as 'root' several times with
: > the wrong password and, as a result, the 'root' account has been "disabled"
: > (can't login -- can't 'su - root').

: > I'm about to call the Response Center to see how we can "enable" root but
: > I thought I'd post a quick query here in case there's a "simple" way.
: > Couldn't find anything in the documentation so I'm figuring we'll have
: > to re-boot single user and go into SAM to reset it.

: > Any advice appreciated - thanx!

: As I understand it, the system is not supposed to disable root from logging in
: on the console.

        Try to boot the single user mode from the ISL!

Young Wo Sang         |  Certified Netware Engineer

OOPS - root account disabled !!

Post by Arian Lodd » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> > The fact that HP-UX 10.01 supports passwords longer than 8 characters has
> > bitten us.  One of our Admins tried to login as 'root' several times with
> > the wrong password and, as a result, the 'root' account has been "disabled"
> > (can't login -- can't 'su - root').

> > I'm about to call the Response Center to see how we can "enable" root but
> > I thought I'd post a quick query here in case there's a "simple" way.
> > Couldn't find anything in the documentation so I'm figuring we'll have
> > to re-boot single user and go into SAM to reset it.

> > Any advice appreciated - thanx!

> As I understand it, the system is not supposed to disable root from logging in
> on the console.

I' dont think it is, but you could always try to get the system in
single user mode (no passwd's, and you are root). But therefore you have
to shutdown the system (one way is to remove power ;-) (but can corrupt your
filesystem), the other way is to do it coorectly, but then you need
access to reboot/shutdown (chicken and eggs))

On the HP9000-712's i can switch off the power and the system will
shutdiwn itself first, before actually removing the power.

Good luck,

Arian

       _/_/   _/_/_/   _/_/_/   _/_/   _/    _/ A.W. Lodder

   _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/   _/   _/_/_/_/ _/  _/_/ phone:
  _/    _/ _/  _/     _/   _/    _/ _/    _/       +31 (0)30 - 53 2955
 _/    _/ _/    _/ _/_/_/ _/    _/ _/    _/ fax  : +31 (0)30 - 53 7555

University of Utrecht, Department of Computer Topics in Physics
Princetonplein 5 / P.O. Box 80000, 3508 TA Utrecht, The Netherlands

OOPS - root account disabled !!

Post by Frans Post » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Bill Hassell wrote in a message to All:

BH> : The fact that HP-UX 10.01 supports passwords longer than 8
BH> characters has : bitten us.  One of our Admins tried to login as
BH> 'root' several times with : the wrong password and, as a result, the
BH> 'root' account has been "disabled" : (can't login -- can't 'su -
BH> root').

Huh? Do I understand correctly that a user gets "locked  out" if
he/she tries to login using a incorrect password several times?

Sounds like intruder-detection like I know it on the VAX, is this new
for HP-UX 10.0 ?? (we got 9.0 but I've never noticed this type of
protection)

Have a nice day...

OOPS - root account disabled !!

Post by Michael Wyrsc » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> Bill Hassell wrote in a message to All:

> BH> : The fact that HP-UX 10.01 supports passwords longer than 8
> BH> characters has : bitten us.  One of our Admins tried to login as
> BH> 'root' several times with : the wrong password and, as a result, the
> BH> 'root' account has been "disabled" : (can't login -- can't 'su -
> BH> root').

> Huh? Do I understand correctly that a user gets "locked  out" if
> he/she tries to login using a incorrect password several times?

> Sounds like intruder-detection like I know it on the VAX, is this new
> for HP-UX 10.0 ?? (we got 9.0 but I've never noticed this type of
> protection)

This is a new feature, but as root you should always login into 10.01
on the console.

A hint: donot use long passwords as root.
        set the retry count to 99 so you have more tries  ;-)

> Have a nice day...

> --
> | Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly his own.

Same to me (the disclaimer)

                                            ooOOOO
Michael K. Wyrsch                          oo      ______          __________
                                          _I__n_n__||_| | ________ | HP-UX  |
Hewlett Packard AG                      >(_________|_10_|-|______|-|________|-
Switzerland                              /o ()() ()() oo  oo  oo   oo    oo

DESK     : Michael Wyrsch / HP8700/Y0
MAILSTOP : In der Luberzen 29  CH-8902 Urdorf ZH
Phone    : 0041 1 735 73 29

OOPS - root account disabled !!

Post by KP N » Tue, 09 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>This is a new feature, but as root you should always login into 10.01
>on the console.

>A hint: donot use long passwords as root.
>        set the retry count to 99 so you have more tries  ;-)

So, how do I set the retry count? And, how do I "re-enable" the root
account once it is locked out due to incorrect password?

(I have just installed 10.01 to my system, I like to know how to react
to problems like this....)

Thanks,
Regards,
KP

OOPS - root account disabled !!

Post by Marcin Soltysi » Tue, 09 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>So, how do I set the retry count? And, how do I "re-enable" the root
>account once it is locked out due to incorrect password?

>(I have just installed 10.01 to my system, I like to know how to react
>to problems like this....)

Well....you can always log in as root on the console...
if you got VUE on console then shut it down from Options menu, then log in as
root and finally run SAM.

MS

OOPS - root account disabled !!

Post by Nathan Schaff » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>So, how do I set the retry count? And, how do I "re-enable" the root
>account once it is locked out due to incorrect password?

>(I have just installed 10.01 to my system, I like to know how to react
>to problems like this....)

>Thanks,
>Regards,
>KP

We have had root locked several times and it always turned out to be the
file in /tcb/files/auth/r/root-t

In the documentation it says that sometimes the software fails to remove the
file lock thus locking the account.

I have a cron job removing all of theese files.

Hope this helps
--
********************************
Nathan Schaffer

********************************

OOPS - root account disabled !!

Post by Mahesh Ramachandr » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

|>   This has gotten several people.  When you type a password longer than 8

is this feature only available with a secure system?
I'm looking for an alternative to YP, is there one?

-rr

OOPS - root account disabled !!

Post by Benno Rentin » Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi

Sorry to skew the topic a bit
ive inherited a 9000/345 with hpux on it and becource it has not been
used for a while nobody can remember the root password (or any password
for that mater) .
So i wanted to boot in single user mode and delete the root password,
i read the hpux-faq but the 345 must be diff, the sys menu gives me
things like 1h,1s,1d and the commandline only accepts commands like the 1s
and so on. if any body can help me or point me in the right direction
it would be greatly appreciated as i would love to use it as an xterminal

Thanks in advance

Benno