Alternative to ping

Post by Douglas Nisbe » Mon, 03 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have a script that polls all my laserjets to see if they're ok. If
they're ok, "ping 64 1" comes back quickly - but if one is switched off,
it can take about 10 seconds to time out.

Are there any alternatives to ping to determine if a printer is switched
on? hpnpstat and hpnpadmin both have long time-outs too. I don't know it
they just call ping anyway.

Alternative to ping

Post by Sherwood Botsfo » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I have a script that polls all my laserjets to see if they're ok. If
: they're ok, "ping 64 1" comes back quickly - but if one is switched off,
: it can take about 10 seconds to time out.

: Are there any alternatives to ping to determine if a printer is switched
: on? hpnpstat and hpnpadmin both have long time-outs too. I don't know it
: they just call ping anyway.

Yup.  Called fping.  It's designed for what you have in mind, I think.
fping -help
Usage: fping [options] [systems...]
   -f file    read list of systems from a file ( - means stdin)
   -i n       interval (between ping packets) in milli-seconds (default 10)
   -t n       individual host timeout in milli-seconds (default 1000)
   -r n       retry limit (default 4)
   -s         dump final stats
   -q         quiet (don't show per host results)
   -a         show systems that are alive
   -u         show systems that are unreachable
   -d         use dns to lookup address for return ping packet
   -v         show version
   systems    list of systems to check (if no -f specified)

--

Sherwood Botsford |Unsolicited email that advertises commercial
Physics Dept      |activities will consitute a request for

Alternative to ping

Post by Frank Slootw » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

  If you have the hardware station addresses, you can linkloop(1M)
instead of ping(1M). linkloop(1M) has an adjustable timeout.

  Be aware that too short timeouts can lead to false negatives, i.e. you
think the printer is down/switched_off, but it is actually OK and you
"just" have a (momentarily) slow network.

  To the networking gurus: What is the "right" timeout for ping/linkloop?
Do the standards say anything about the maximum acceptable round-trip
time?

Frank, (apparently :-)) not a network guru.

Alternative to ping

Post by Herman Anke » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>   If you have the hardware station addresses, you can linkloop(1M)
> instead of ping(1M). linkloop(1M) has an adjustable timeout.

>   Be aware that too short timeouts can lead to false negatives, i.e. you
> think the printer is down/switched_off, but it is actually OK and you
> "just" have a (momentarily) slow network.

>   To the networking gurus: What is the "right" timeout for ping/linkloop?
> Do the standards say anything about the maximum acceptable round-trip
> time?

> Frank, (apparently :-)) not a network guru.

It will always be a rule of thumb. If your printer doesnt answer within
2 sec the network is definatly slow or the printer is not online.

herman