Problems with Remote commands

Post by Alistair Quigle » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to run a remote command on a SCO Open Server 5 from a HPUX
server. It is possible to ping between the two boxes and also to open up
telnet sessions either way.

I have created the user on the SCO box that matches the user that originates
the command on the HP box and added an entry in /etc/hosts.equiv for the
host name of the HP box on the SCO server.

The command that I am trying to run is remsh callscan 'who'

callscan being the SCO hostname. The command simply times out from the HP
box.

Anyone have any ideas? I have to admit that I am not all that familiar with
HPUX or remote commands.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alistair Quigley

Problems with Remote commands

Post by Paul Eadingto » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Try the following (direct from te remsh man page)

    remsh callscan -n who &

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas

These views were implanted during a recent * and have nothing to do with
my employer

> I am trying to run a remote command on a SCO Open Server 5 from a HPUX
> server. It is possible to ping between the two boxes and also to open up
> telnet sessions either way.

> The command that I am trying to run is remsh callscan 'who'

> callscan being the SCO hostname. The command simply times out from the HP
> box.

Problems with Remote commands

Post by Paul Eadingto » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Me again...

> telnet/rlogin/ftp are all services started by the inetd
> process (config=/etc/inetd.conf).
> Is inetd running, if so is it configured / running properly?  Check
> /var/adm/messages for
> problems with inetd - it can be restarted as root with kill -HUP.
> These views were implanted during a recent * and have nothing to do with
> my employer

Problems with Remote commands

Post by Leslie J Troye » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have seen some funny thing on SCO/Interactive if roots shell was not
set to bourne.  This was years ago and I never took the time to
investigate why.

I would also "telnet callscan 512"  to make sure the daemons on callscan
are working.  If so try a .rhosts (600 permission ) .

Good luck

Les

> I am trying to run a remote command on a SCO Open Server 5 from a HPUX
> server. It is possible to ping between the two boxes and also to open up
> telnet sessions either way.

> I have created the user on the SCO box that matches the user that originates
> the command on the HP box and added an entry in /etc/hosts.equiv for the
> host name of the HP box on the SCO server.

> The command that I am trying to run is remsh callscan 'who'

> callscan being the SCO hostname. The command simply times out from the HP
> box.

> Anyone have any ideas? I have to admit that I am not all that familiar with
> HPUX or remote commands.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Alistair Quigley

1. Remote command problem

Hi all,

I'm trying to run a remote command from a HPUX machine
on a VAX/VMS machine.
The HPUX user can login to the VAX without a password (proxy).
When I give the following command on the HPUX machine:
remsh SYS1 "dir"  , with SYS1 being the VAX machine,
I get the error RCMD:Lost connection. This is clearly a
HPUX error and not a VMS error.
I can't find out what is wrong.

When I try the same thing to another VAX, that has been setup
exactly the same way, it works!!

Any help will be highly appriciated.

Regards,
Steven

    Steven Driesen
    Antwerp, Belgium

2. Removing an NT BDC from Active Directory

3. Remote printing and command-line arguments.....

4. Fatal loader errors on a DEC Alpha OSF/1

5. Need help with command syntax for performing a remote cpio restore

6. InDesign invents pargraph line-breaking!

7. remote shelll commands to HPUX 10.01 ???

8. become administrator through a gpo

9. remsh - "invalid remote command"

10. Remote X - Remote display of Screen

11. send commands from shell command line to SCSI devices?

12. see compelete command line in command "ps"

13. executing script commands after su command