Pthreads?

Pthreads?

Post by Joe » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 04:34:32



Hello,

I am trying to build a simple multi-threaded application but cannot because
I cannot find pthreads.h anywhere.  Is it possible on my system:

HP-UX HP712 B.10.20 A 9000/712

I am using gcc and have successfully built everything on Solaris, Linux,
Irix and NT.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and Happy New Year.

Joe

 
 
 

Pthreads?

Post by Ian P. Springe » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 05:45:10


Quote:> I am trying to build a simple multi-threaded application but cannot
because
> I cannot find pthreads.h anywhere.  Is it possible on my system:

> HP-UX HP712 B.10.20 A 9000/712

> I am using gcc and have successfully built everything on Solaris, Linux,
> Irix and NT.

> Thanks in advance for your assistance and Happy New Year.

Hi Joe,

10.20 provides CMA or DEC threads, as opposed to the modern POSIX thread
library that is provided in 11.0 and later.  See
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSingleTipDetailPage_IDX/...,
308,00.html for details.

Happy New Year,
Ian

 
 
 

Pthreads?

Post by Joe » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 10:54:32


Ian,

Wow, thanks!  That is excellent information.  Looks like I will need to move
to 11.

Joe



Quote:> I am trying to build a simple multi-threaded application but cannot
because
> I cannot find pthreads.h anywhere.  Is it possible on my system:

> HP-UX HP712 B.10.20 A 9000/712

> I am using gcc and have successfully built everything on Solaris, Linux,
> Irix and NT.

> Thanks in advance for your assistance and Happy New Year.

Hi Joe,

10.20 provides CMA or DEC threads, as opposed to the modern POSIX thread
library that is provided in 11.0 and later.  See
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSingleTipDetailPage_IDX/...,
308,00.html for details.

Happy New Year,
Ian

 
 
 

Pthreads?

Post by Paul Pluzhniko » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 12:03:40



> Wow, thanks!  That is excellent information.  Looks like I will need to move
> to 11.

While moving to 11.x may be a good idea in any case, you only have
to move to 10.30 to get POSIX threads, as the same document states.

Cheers,
--
In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.

 
 
 

Pthreads?

Post by Joe » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 13:01:25


This has all been excellent information.  Our problem is now that we have no
idea how to go about doing it, especially where to get the software.  We
will start researching it, including the FAQs, but could ask for your
generosity one more time and point me in the right direction?

Thanks again and in advance,

Joe



> Wow, thanks!  That is excellent information.  Looks like I will need to
move
> to 11.

While moving to 11.x may be a good idea in any case, you only have
to move to 10.30 to get POSIX threads, as the same document states.

Cheers,
--
In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.

 
 
 

Pthreads?

Post by Ian P. Springe » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 14:07:46


Quote:> This has all been excellent information.  Our problem is now that we have
no
> idea how to go about doing it, especially where to get the software.  We
> will start researching it, including the FAQs, but could ask for your
> generosity one more time and point me in the right direction?

Indeed you will find the answer in the HP-UX FAQ
(www.faqs.org/faqs/hp/hpux-faq/).  Also, 10.30 was never released outside of
HP, so you're going to want to go for 11.0 or 11.11 (aka 11i v1.0),
preferably the latter.

Ian

> Thanks again and in advance,

> Joe




> > Wow, thanks!  That is excellent information.  Looks like I will need to
> move
> > to 11.

> While moving to 11.x may be a good idea in any case, you only have
> to move to 10.30 to get POSIX threads, as the same document states.

> Cheers,
> --
> In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.

 
 
 

Pthreads?

Post by Rick Jone » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 05:12:45



> While moving to 11.x may be a good idea in any case, you only have
> to move to 10.30 to get POSIX threads, as the same document states.

HP-UX 10.30 was an "interesting" release. As I recall, it was not at
all widely distributed. I think it may have gone to one, perhaps two
customers, who were upgraded to 11.0 in short order.

rick jones
--
denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance, rebirth...
where do you want to be today?
these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway... :)
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...

 
 
 

Pthreads?

Post by Mikko Nahkol » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 21:35:52




>> While moving to 11.x may be a good idea in any case, you only have
>> to move to 10.30 to get POSIX threads, as the same document states.
> HP-UX 10.30 was an "interesting" release. As I recall, it was not at
> all widely distributed. I think it may have gone to one, perhaps two
> customers, who were upgraded to 11.0 in short order.

Well, duh. At least it was advertised to some extent, I remember finding
a lot of marketing stuff about it in the boxes back then. And a whole lot
of support-related papers a while later, seems that it wasn't a
particularly stable release... right? (I've never seen anything running
10.30 or even a media kit myself, so what do I know)

What was it for, really? An early-availability POSIX-thread-capable HP-UX
for those people that wanted a platform for developing POSIX-threaded
applications for 11.00 before the 11 was released to the public? Was it
ever even y2k-compliant?

--

My ideas, not my employer's. No warranty. YMMV.
#include <disclaimer.h>

 
 
 

Pthreads?

Post by Rick Jone » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 04:01:35



> What was it for, really? An early-availability POSIX-thread-capable
> HP-UX for those people that wanted a platform for developing
> POSIX-threaded applications for 11.00 before the 11 was released to
> the public?

Something along those lines.

Quote:> Was it ever even y2k-compliant?

No idea.

rick jones
--
"Hey! Hey! SUV! The gas you waste empowers me!"
                           - overheard at an al Qaeda pep-rally
these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway... :)
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...

 
 
 

Pthreads?

Post by Greg Cagl » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 04:31:50




>>What was it for, really? An early-availability POSIX-thread-capable
>>HP-UX for those people that wanted a platform for developing
>>POSIX-threaded applications for 11.00 before the 11 was released to
>>the public?

> Something along those lines.

>>Was it ever even y2k-compliant?

> No idea.

> rick jones

We're talking about 10.30 here, right? I believe it was y2k compliant.
--
Greg Cagle
gregc at gregcagle dot com
 
 
 

Pthreads?

Post by Ken Gree » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 01:55:04





> >>What was it for, really? An early-availability POSIX-thread-capable
> >>HP-UX for those people that wanted a platform for developing
> >>POSIX-threaded applications for 11.00 before the 11 was released to
> >>the public?

> > Something along those lines.

> >>Was it ever even y2k-compliant?

> > No idea.

> > rick jones

> We're talking about 10.30 here, right? I believe it was y2k compliant.

IIRC it was offically "not y2k compliant" this was how they persuaded the

customer to move to 11.00

Quote:

> --
> Greg Cagle
> gregc at gregcagle dot com

Cheers

Ken

 
 
 

1. Pthread support on HPUX 11 (question from a newbie)

Hello,

I am trying to compile an application that use third party libraries
that use and require the pthread libraries. The system release is
given below:
bash-2.05b$ uname -a
HP-UX dragon B.11.11 U 9000/800 124484661 unlimited-user license
The compile options '-Ae -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199506L' were used for
compilation, althrough I do not think it makes sense as the source
module to be compiled themselves do not directly call pthread library
functions.

So in my linking options for the final executable I mentionned
-lpthread given the fact that there is a libpthread.a file in
/usr/lib.

However, the linking phase errored with the message below:
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
   pthread_rdwr_wlock_np (code)
   pthread_rdwr_exit_np (code)
   pthread_rdwr_wunlock_np (code)
   pthread_rdwr_init_np (code)
*** Error exit code 1
I have checked that the include file in /usr/include/sys/pthread.h
that there is no prototype for such function.
However, there are some other function prototypes are like:
extern int pthread_rwlock_init(pthread_rwlock_t *,
           const pthread_rwlockattr_t *);

Could it be that the function prototypes have changed between two
pthread libraries versions (the one used to build the librairies and
the one currently on my system) (I have ordered a book for learning
the POSIX API but have not received it yet)?
Should I download some additional pthread library stuff that will
implement the missing functions?

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you for reading,

Regards,
Benoit Gilon

2. Control Panel trashed in user's settings

3. pthread compilation on HP-UX 10.2 w/ gcc

4. Constants

5. pthread error: __libc_reinit() failed

6. how do i stop FP2000 from comparing files being published to server?

7. pthreads and HP-UX 11.00

8. new w2k ws no browsing

9. pthreads, HP-UX 11.xx, and popen() or fork()/exec()...

10. HP-UX11 32/64bit pthread compatibility

11. Problem with pthread

12. pthread error __libc_reinit() failed - libcma

13. pthread error __libc_reinit() failed