How to figure out types of kernel parameter?

How to figure out types of kernel parameter?

Post by SungChu » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 12:03:06

Hello!

There are three kinds of kernel parameters.

Static, Dynamic and Automatic...

Here, I would like to know how to figure out them.

I read the manpage of kmtune, but I couldn't find
any parts referring it.

Thanks in advance!!!

How to figure out types of kernel parameter?

Post by Frank Slootwe » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 22:10:27

  I don't know what exactly you are asking, but I think you should have
a look at SAM's Help facility for the parameters, i.e. SAM -> Kernel
Configuration -> Configurable Parameters, select parameter an
press/click "Help On Context".

> Hello!

> There are three kinds of kernel parameters.

> Static, Dynamic and Automatic...

> Here, I would like to know how to figure out them.

> I read the manpage of kmtune, but I couldn't find
> any parts referring it.

> Thanks in advance!!!

How to figure out types of kernel parameter?

Post by SungChu » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 21:26:57

As I said, There are three types of kernel parameters and device drivers.

For sure, I can figure out using SAM but I want to do it using a command.
(I expect to check it using 'kmtune')

I used kmtune once but I couldn't find any special things in it.

Now, I believe there are no dynamic kernel parameters in HP-UX 11.00.

I think they are developing dynamic things still, So we will soon see them
in new version.

Bye!

Post by Ken Gree » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 21:57:36

> As I said, There are three types of kernel parameters and device drivers.

> For sure, I can figure out using SAM but I want to do it using a command.
> (I expect to check it using 'kmtune')

> I used kmtune once but I couldn't find any special things in it.

> Now, I believe there are no dynamic kernel parameters in HP-UX 11.00.

> I think they are developing dynamic things still, So we will soon see them
> in new version.

> Bye!

> >   I don't know what exactly you are asking, but I think you should have
> > a look at SAM's Help facility for the parameters, i.e. SAM -> Kernel
> > Configuration -> Configurable Parameters, select parameter an
> > press/click "Help On Context".

> > > Hello!

> > > There are three kinds of kernel parameters.

> > > Static, Dynamic and Automatic...

> > > Here, I would like to know how to figure out them.

> > > I read the manpage of kmtune, but I couldn't find
> > > any parts referring it.

> > > Thanks in advance!!!

Dynamic kernel parameters for "standard" bits of HP-UX came out
with HP-UX 11.11.

There aren't many of them, but it's a start

kmtune at 11.11 gives

Parameter  Current Dyn Planned   Module Version

NSTRBLKSCHED      -  -  2
NSTREVENT     50  -  50
bufpages      0  -  (NBUF*2)
chanq_hash_locks   256  -  256
core_addshmem_read     0  Y  0
core_addshmem_write     0  Y  0
create_fastlinks     0  -  0
maxfiles_lim   1024  Y  1024
maxqueuetime      -  -  0
maxswapchunks   1024  -  1024
maxtsiz      0x4000000  Y  0x04000000
maxtsiz_64bit    0x40000000  Y  0x0000000040000000
maxuprc      75  Y  75
maxusers     32  -  32
maxvgs      10  -  10
msgmax    8192  Y  8192
msgmnb   16384  Y  16384
msgmni      50  -  50
scroll_lines    100  -  100
scsi_max_qdepth      8  Y  8
scsi_maxphys  1048576  -  1048576
semmnu      30  -  30
semmsl    2048  Y  2048
semume      10  -  10
semvmx   32767  -  32767
sendfile_max      0  -  0
shmem                       1  -  1
shmmax      0x4000000  Y  0X4000000
shmmni     200  -  200
shmseg     120  Y  120
st_ats_enabled      1  -  1

The "Y" indicating the dynamic ones.

1. Logging Kernel table overflows: Configurable Kernel Parameters

I am interested in pro-actively managing HP-UX
production servers (v9.0.4/5 or v10.01).
Specifically whether any software is available to
monitor and log overflows of the static Kernel
tables (as modified by Configurable Kernel
Parameters).

What I would like is a historical logfile showing
the date, time and parameter table/name exceeded.
This information could then be correlated with
specific application problems for follow-up action.

I am familiar with GlancePlus and the newer
Performance Collection Software (PCS). I do not
believe this software has the desired
functionality.

HP Technical Support have not been able to give me
a solution to this desire.

2. Your email Free Conference Seminar: Your Role as a SAP Consultant on a project - MM WM SD FICO PP CRM HR/HCM BIBW & ASAP methodology

3. How to figure out which process is a kernel process?

4. vlm nach dwg und zurueck konvertieren

5. Tuned Kernel Types in SAM...

6. Sync with Outlook 2000

7. Kernel Parameters on multiple instances of Oracle

8. SMSWakeUp 2.0 - Wake-on-LAN for SMS2.0

9. HP-UX 10.20 kernel parameters

10. Kernel Configurable Parameters

11. Kernel parameters for tape buffers

12. How can I see current value of kernel parameter?

13. Changing Kernel Parameter?