HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!!

HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!!

Post by Zack Lyo » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I have just finished a Pro/E Part file and it was huge.  Somehow, I have
managed to delete it by accident.  Is there anyway in which I can query my
directories to find this wayward child and restore him back to his loving
family of parts???  I need to know something very soon, or I will have to
start all over again!!!!!  Please HELP.  I am not very UNIX efficient if
you didn't already figure it out.

Call me collect at 919 676-2462 if you want.  or e-mail me at

Thank You tremendously,

--
Zack Lyon

HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!!

Post by David A. Let » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:31:18 GMT, "Zack Lyon"

>I have just finished a Pro/E Part file and it was huge.  Somehow, I have
>managed to delete it by accident.  Is there anyway in which I can query my
>directories to find this wayward child and restore him back to his loving
>family of parts???  I need to know something very soon, or I will have to
>start all over again!!!!!  Please HELP.  I am not very UNIX efficient if
>you didn't already figure it out.

>Call me collect at 919 676-2462 if you want.  or e-mail me at

>Thank You tremendously,

>--
>Zack Lyon

Unfortunately, UNIX has no undelete command. Recovery procedure
involves a device-level copy (i.e., dd) to a scratch area, then
writing some custom code to identify the starting block of the file,
and ending-block (or size) of the file. Then you will still have to do
some data massaging.

There are companies out there that will be glad to help for a fee.
They advertise in the back of the HP trade rags.

(Probably not what you wanted to hear, but to add insult to injury,
may I suggest you ask your employer to send SOMEBODY to an HP-UX
sysadmin class within your organization)

HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!!

Post by Don Hisco » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Unfortunately when you remove a file all the directory entries in the
inode are removed. The indirect and data blocks remain intact,
though. If this was the only file on the file system I can give you some
suggestions on how you might recover it. Otherwise you are in for a bit
of a research project.

Post by Bo Thid » Wed, 29 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I have just finished a Pro/E Part file and it was huge.  Somehow, I have
> managed to delete it by accident.  Is there anyway in which I can query my
> directories to find this wayward child and restore him back to his loving
> family of parts???  I need to know something very soon, or I will have to
> start all over again!!!!!  Please HELP.  I am not very UNIX efficient if
> you didn't already figure it out.

> Call me collect at 919 676-2462 if you want.  or e-mail me at

> Thank You tremendously,

> --
> Zack Lyon

You don't say which HP-UX release you are on.  For HP-UX 9.X there
exists a (undocumented, unsupported, but fully functional) undelete
command called 'unrm'.  We have it available on our ftp server in
ftp://ftp.wavegroup.irfu.se/dist/.  It was written by "The Mercenary

available (Rob is an extremely nice and friendly person so if you
ask poiltely he may be able to help).  We would not have survived
without this little wonder.

Bo

--
  ^   Bo Thid (Ass Prof)-------SM5DFW-------http://www.wavegroup.irfu.se/~bt
 |I|  Space and Plasma Physics, S-75591 Uppsala, Sweden. Office: Villav?gen 3
 |R|  Office Phone: [+46] (0)18-4717269        Office Fax: [+46] (0)18-554917
/|F|\ Wireless/Cellular Phone: 0705-613670        Home Phone: [+46] 18-554184

HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!! HELP !!!

Post by Richard J. Rauenza » Wed, 29 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Unfortunately, UNIX has no undelete command. Recovery procedure
>involves a device-level copy (i.e., dd) to a scratch area, then
>writing some custom code to identify the starting block of the file,
>and ending-block (or size) of the file. Then you will still have to do
>some data massaging.

A quick way to recover something (most useful with plain text and a
small file) is to run strings on the filesystem's logical volume, and
search for your text.  I managed to wipe out a small perl program I was
working on and recover it that way.

In another thread unrm was mentioned -- although I've had varying
luck with it (doesn't always find the removed file).

Rich
--

Technical Consultant     | I speak for me,     |   19055 Pruneridge Ave.
Development Alliances Lab|            *not* HP |                MS 46TU2

1. Help, Help, Help !!!

Hello, everyone.

We have a HP C180 running HP UNIX 10.20. It's system become very strange
recently,
every 2 days( or 48 hours ), it will become very very slow. But CPU usage
is only 10%,
seems it was doing disk activity forever. One process called vhand was
running, all
other processes were sleeping. Does sb. know how to deal with that?
Otherwise, we have to restart the system every 2 days; this is a nightmare;
we become
crazy, help, help, help.

2. Network Email Software

3. HeLP hElP HElP *pleeeease*

4. Dell 350 server turns off and does not reboot when "restart" in selected - Win 2000

5. help me reset my aptrex c3252a ! help!

6. Updates of May

7. Help about help files/DOcs about EMC

8. Anybody know who makes DEC's MD30C color scanner?

9. HP Laserjet 4000N : Help ! Help !

10. root user password prob. HELP!!HELP!!

11. HELP HP870Cxi HELP

12. Help! Help!

13. HELP....getting error opening netscape...PLEASE HELP