Open View Software Distributor

Post by <w.. » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Greetings;

Our HP servers are multiplying like rabbits!  It seems that everyone wants
their own.  That is fine with me, but installing the local software and
keeping it updated on the evergrowing number of machines is giving me
headaches!  (I am working on setting up a T600 and there is a V sitting in
the storeroom waiting to be uncrated!)  I mean things like perl, vim, cvs,
tkl, etc., and local mods to profiles etc.

Would Open View SD do the job or are there other tools available.  We
prefer tools that are vendor supported, btw.

If OV-SD would I need an agent for the master machine also?

Thanks for any help!
Dennis

Open View Software Distributor

Post by Steve Kuerver » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Use HP's Ignite-UX.  You can create one 'golden image' which you then
install all the other's with.  I installed my entire site (30ish C-class)
systems in 1 hour.

Great for upgrades also.  Oh yah, it's free... it's a replacement for
software distributor.  As for updating you machines... it may do the job if
you just
reinstall the machine with modified golden images, or you may want to look
at building your own software distributor archives...

Sorry, but I'm not up on the HP OV-SD stuff.

Steve Kuervers
Systems Engineer
Janus Simulation Centre

Open View Software Distributor

Post by nos.. » Fri, 23 Jan 1998 04:00:00

It's only a "replacement" for software distributer for doing cold OS
installs.  (although that's not completely true, either -- it's a
replacement cold OS install front end which still uses SD to do the later OS
installation, unless you're using a golden image)

(does that make sense?)

        Rich

--

Technical Consultant     | I speak for me,     |   19055 Pruneridge Ave.
Development Alliances Lab|              not HP |                MS 46TU2

Post by Philippe Kipfe » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> It's only a "replacement" for software distributer for doing cold OS
> installs.  (although that's not completely true, either -- it's a
> replacement cold OS install front end which still uses SD to do the later OS
> installation, unless you're using a golden image)

> (does that make sense?)

>         Rich

> >Use HP's Ignite-UX.  You can create one 'golden image' which you then
> >install all the other's with.  I installed my entire site (30ish C-class)
> >systems in 1 hour.

> >Great for upgrades also.  Oh yah, it's free... it's a replacement for
> >software distributor.   [...]

My experience with Ignite is good and bad at the same time. Copying the same
config works well
(the above case).

If you wanted to duplicate a system on different machine architecture (T and
V), you need the
"relocation" mecanism. This is included in the "make_recovery" command.
At the moment this command is only able to handle  "simple" cases, and in
particular is NOT able to:
- handle mirror disks (documented)
- handle multi volume group situation (root VG + one or more, unclearly
documented)
   (this is probably the case on big machines)
- handle LIF zones required for the predictive support (bug)
   (predictive support should/must be activated on such servers)

As far as I know, there is no plan for those issues at the moment.

I don't aggree with my colleague, Ignite is not a replacement for the SD even
in such a case
while Ignite doesn't handle the above cases. In terms of support and guarantee,
the only official
way to "duplicate" a "big server" is to reinstall it from scratch. Other ways
are done at your
own risks and responsability.

I hope this help.

--
Best regards, Ph. Kipfer (SSSO-Bern)

P.S. Those opinions are mine and doesn't commit HP in any way.
  Hewlett-Packard (Switzerland) AG     Phone:    +41 (0)31 980 31 11
  Philippe Kipfer                      Fax:      +41 (0)31 980 33 90
  Meriedweg 11                         Telnet:   780-3352

  X400:S=Kipfer/G=Philippe/C=CH/A=400NET/P=HP/O=HP/
       OU1=HP-Switzerland/OU2=OM3

Open View Software Distributor

Post by Jorma Heimone » Mon, 26 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

most probably the OV-SD or the standard HPUX 10 SD would do the job.
I have adopted a different solution: rdist. I have installed all the
local packages under one directory hierarchy
(in our case /kopt -> /kopt/netscape /kopt/perl5 /kopt/tcltk4 ...).
The directory hierarchy gets distributed to about 20 different
installations with rdist. The benefit of this approach is
that once rdist is set up, the updates are almost automatic.
Additionally, only the new or modified files get transferred,
so the system is very network-friendly.

Best Regards,
        Jorma Heimonen

Jorma Heimonen