Sun 8mm tape drive and HP 715?

Post by Dariusz D » Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

Are 8mm streamers supported on HP-UX 9.03?
Is it possible to make recovery system on the remote tape drive?
Could it be 8mm tape drive?

I'm planing an upgrade of HP 715 running HP-UX 9.03 to version 10.01
I'd like to backup files and create the recovery system before upgrading.
The problem is that I've no DDS tape drive or cartridge tape drive (it is
9 track 1/2" - am I rigth?). The only streamer device I have is Sun's 8mm
5GB streaming device connected to RS/6000 machine ( :-) ).

I've found that fbackup accepts only DDS and cartridge devices.
To make "standard" backup I can pipe backup data through the net to
8mm tape drive, but what about creating recovery system (for tha case the
upgrade fails) onto remote 8mm streamer? I expect it must be recognized
during boot process initiated from ROM.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. If possible write directly to me.

--
Dariusz Dej                                          Institute of Automatics
sys&net adm                                          UMM at Cracow, Poland

1. HP dump to Sun 8mm tape drive

I have a problem restoring files to an HP 9000/720. I use an 8mm tape drive on
a Sun workstation to backup the HP filesystems. When I tried to restore some files
this morning, I keep getting bad data format errors. The relevant commands &
messages are:

I use the following command on the HP to do the dump:

/etc/dump 0ubdsf 126 54000 13000 dumphost:/dev/nrst8 /

I used this command to try to restore data:

rrestore -ivf dumphost:/dev/rst8

The error message I get back is:

Verify volume and initialize maps
Media read error: Invalid argument

Using a slightly different restore command, I get the following:

restore -ivfb /dev/rst8 126
Verify volume and initialize maps
Read error while trying to set up volume
continue? [yn] y
Volume is not in dump format

Does anybody know why the dump/restore didn't work? Is there any way I can read
the data off the tape? Am I totally screwed?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated,
eric
----

2. Visio Viewer/Printer

3. SUN CD drive on HP 715/100?

4. Automobile Drawings Needed!!!!!!!!!!

5. Help: Sun 8mm Flexipack 20/40GB drive

6. 1603: File boot failed -- File not accessible

7. 8mm Tape Drive,HP EISA SCSI-2 Differential???

8. Gating the Pound (was Pounding on an Octothorp)

9. Need Help Attaching 8mm Tape Drive to HP

10. 8MM EXABYTE TAPE DRIVE. HP SETUP HELP!!!!!!!

11. Anyone got an 8mm tape drive working on any HP?

12. 715 won't boot from Sun or NEC CDROM drive

13. Auction: 4mm and 8mm external SCSI tape drives!