How to mount disk in "recovery" mode?

Post by Geetanjali Sampema » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi

We have an HP9000 running HP-UX 10.x which is in trouble.  Someone commented
out the entry for /usr in fstab and rebooted the machine.  :-(

Now we have a recovery CDROM, and can boot into a "recovery shell".  How does
one mount the filesystem containing /etc and edit fstab?  I'm fluent with
Unix, but not with HP-UX specifics (this machine is very new).  I was
able to "loadfile" mount, but when I tried to mount a partition, it said
hfs-specific mount command not available.  What commands do I need to load
(apart from mount)?

Also, I'm not sure what partition I should be trying to mount -- what is the
default / partition on a stock hpux install called?  In normal operations I
remember seeing a /dev/vg00 (LVM) but right now I only see /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s1lvm
and the like.

If someone could give me detailed instructions, I'd much appreciate it.  I'm
not sure if anyone else is interested, so email is probably appropriate, I
can post a summary if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Geetanjali

How to mount disk in "recovery" mode?

Post by Supoma » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> can post a summary if anyone is interested.

> Thanks
> Geetanjali

Please do.  I'd like to see how you get out of this one.

Supoman

Post by Doug Siebe » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>We have an HP9000 running HP-UX 10.x which is in trouble.  Someone commented
>out the entry for /usr in fstab and rebooted the machine.  :-(
>Now we have a recovery CDROM, and can boot into a "recovery shell".  How does
>one mount the filesystem containing /etc and edit fstab?  I'm fluent with
>Unix, but not with HP-UX specifics (this machine is very new).  I was
>able to "loadfile" mount, but when I tried to mount a partition, it said
>hfs-specific mount command not available.  What commands do I need to load
>(apart from mount)?

You don't need to go that far, you want to interrupt the boot, then do:

boot pri isl

When you see the ISL> prompt, you want to do:

hpux -iS

Then it'll boot in single user mode, and you can edit /etc/fstab.  You will
not be able to use vi, you'll have to use ed, or cat, or echo, or something
like that to do what you want.  Save a copy of the thing first by typing:

cat /etc/fstab > /etc/fstab.SAVE

Then maybe you can cat the file to the screen, and carefully do:

cat >> /etc/fstab

And type in the line that was commented out exactly as it was, except not
commented out this time.

I'd think this is all far easier than using that recovery stuff.  I can't
help you there, I've never used it.  If you have more than one HP around and
you can afford to take one down to mount the other HP's disk, there is not
really any need for the recovery stuff.

--
Douglas Siebert                Director of Computing Facilities

Don't take life too seriously or you'll never get out of it alive.

Post by Steve K. Hamilto » Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> >We have an HP9000 running HP-UX 10.x which is in trouble.  Someone commented
> >out the entry for /usr in fstab and rebooted the machine.  :-(

> >Now we have a recovery CDROM, and can boot into a "recovery shell".  How does
> >one mount the filesystem containing /etc and edit fstab?  I'm fluent with
> >Unix, but not with HP-UX specifics (this machine is very new).  I was
> >able to "loadfile" mount, but when I tried to mount a partition, it said
> >hfs-specific mount command not available.  What commands do I need to load
> >(apart from mount)?

> You don't need to go that far, you want to interrupt the boot, then do:

> boot pri isl

> When you see the ISL> prompt, you want to do:

> hpux -iS

[Additional non-vi editting steps deleted...]

You don't have to go as far as Doug suggests.  Once you are in single
user mode, you can do 'cat /etc/fstab' and look at the device file for
the Logical Volume that /usr uses.  Then, manually mount the LV using
the command:

# mount /dev/vg00/lvol3 /usr  -> substitute the device file in
/etc/fstab
# mount -a

Now, you have access to vi(1) and you can edit the /etc/fstab file to
remove the offending comment...

Hope that helps...

--
Steve Hamilton
Hewlett-Packard Company

1. "hard" question about "soft" mounts ...

Looking for a bit of assistance in the area of NFS mounts.  Here's the
scenario:

System SYS_A exports a filesystem read/write and System SYS_B mounts it
with an entry in '/etc/checklist' like:

SYS_A:/opt/fsys  /mnt  nfs rw,soft,bg 0 0

Everything works fine until SYS_A goes down.  When it does, users on
SYS_B take forever to login and, once they are logged on, things like 'ls
/'
hang.  Executing an 'unmount' of the NFS filesystem clears everything up.

Now we had seen this before when we were doing 'hard' mounts but thought
that, by changing the entry to 'soft', SYS_B wouldn't mind if the mount
point went down.  Seems like 'hard' or 'soft' doesn't make a difference.

Advice?  Patch?  Anything?

TIA

GS
--
Gary Seubert - UNIX Class of '73 B.C. ('B'efore 'C'pio)

Any comments or statements made are not necessarily those of
Citicorp, its subsidiaries or affiliates.

2. CPU-XA Ctrl Wiz - Question

3. vgchange: Activation mode requested for the volume group "/dev/vg01" conflicts with configured mode.

4. Use of Expansion card

5. cleaning bad "w" "who" "rwho" entries

6. Problem with Hyperlinks on PPC 2002 Calendar

7. Questions about "swpackage" and "swinstall"

8. +3 Distorted Sound

9. "WARNING: Privilege separation user \"sshd\" does not exist" - error

10. HPUX10.10: "tmpnam()" call in diff3: "could not open temporary diff file"

11. "pty/ttyp1" breaks "top" in 10.20

12. How to make CDE window "Sticky" and "NoHandles" ?