Ethernet packet-monitor for HPUX or Winsock

Ethernet packet-monitor for HPUX or Winsock

Post by Christopher Dav » Wed, 25 Jan 1995 02:52:09

Hi -

I am looking for a utility to sniff all the packets of an Ethernet, between
a DOS PC and a HPUX box.

Therefore, I need a utility to read all the packets off the net, scan them,
and log them to disk. I would prefer to run this on the HPUX box, but could
do it on the DOS box if that was the only option.

Please email me if you have any info,

Thanks in Advance,

Chris
--
----WNA----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quay Financial Software           Phone   : +353 1 6612377 Fax: +353 1 6607592
The views expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of my employer

Post by Rick Jon » Wed, 25 Jan 1995 09:00:01

: I am looking for a utility to sniff all the packets of an Ethernet, between
: a DOS PC and a HPUX box.

If you have a second HP-UX box, and that box is running 9.X with the
optional Streams fileset purchased and installed, you can run a port
of tcpdump which should be on one of the following:

        col.hp.com under dist/networking/tools
        ftp.cup.hp.com under dist/networking/tools

        the "liverpool archives" at a bunch of systems, including
        hpux.csc.liv.ac.uk and mirrors

The reason a second HP-UX system is needed is that tcpdump on HP-UX
(like Ultrix) cannot see it's own outbound packets.

You could also use nettl(1M) on the one HP-UX box - so long as the
only traffic you want to see is to that HP system.

rick jones

1. sending raw ethernet packets?

hi,

I'm looking for an easy way to send raw ethernet packets from user space
under HPUX 10.20..
The Socket man page on my system doesn't mention raw (ip) sockets I
guess that if I had full control over the ip header I could just fill in
my data ..
Can anyone help?

Best Regards,
    Marc de la Gueronniere - ESIEE I3

2. 3com drivers and netware requesters?

3. HP Ethernet packet type info

4. Epson emulation on DJ500

5. Ethernet packet reception causes panic on HP-UX 9.05

6. Multiple Relay

7. monitoring packets command.

8. @home rebate!

9. sniffer/packets monitor tool on HP-UX (visual)

10. Monitoring TCP/IP packets on HP-UX 9.X

11. looking for packet monitor.

12. Winsock error: NT to HPUX

13. HPUX ppl and Trumpet Winsock