cron did not run when system date rolled backward

cron did not run when system date rolled backward

Post by anup.go.. » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

We are using Hp_UX 11.0, We reset system clock to Jan 1, 2000 and all
the cron jobs were executed properly on Jan 1,2,3 2000(checked
the /usr/adm/cron/log file) Later on we reset system clock back to Sept
9, 1999 and NONE of the cron jobs got executed (/usr/adm/cron/log file
does not have any entry after Jan 3, 2000) Please suggest me what needs
to be done. I am sure this experience will teach me every single minor
details which I don't know about cron.

Thank you very much,

Anup

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

cron did not run when system date rolled backward

Post by Alex Parg » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Cron doesn't behave well if you set the time backwards. Thr following
is an excerpt from the date manpage.

 Changing the date while the system is running in multiuser mode should
 be avoided to prevent disrupting user-scheduled and time sensitive
 programs and processes.  Also, changing the date can cause make(1) and
 the SCCS and cron(1M) subsystems to behave in an unexpected manner.
 The cron daemon should be killed prior to setting the date backwards,
 then restarted.

Alex

> We are using Hp_UX 11.0, We reset system clock to Jan 1, 2000 and all
> the cron jobs were executed properly on Jan 1,2,3 2000(checked
> the /usr/adm/cron/log file) Later on we reset system clock back to
Sept
> 9, 1999 and NONE of the cron jobs got executed (/usr/adm/cron/log file
> does not have any entry after Jan 3, 2000) Please suggest me what
needs
> to be done. I am sure this experience will teach me every single minor
> details which I don't know about cron.

> Thank you very much,

> Anup

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

cron did not run when system date rolled backward

Post by Matt Relle » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

In order to role the date backwards and assure yourself of a stable system
you need to back the system up before you role forward. After you are done
with the y2k test run restore the entire system as from a disaster. (good
time to also check your disaster recovery)

We have all rolled the date (dice) back before with seemingly no adverse
effects. But a complete restore is the only way to be sure you have a 100%
properly functioning system.

Matt Reller

> We are using Hp_UX 11.0, We reset system clock to Jan 1, 2000 and all
> the cron jobs were executed properly on Jan 1,2,3 2000(checked
> the /usr/adm/cron/log file) Later on we reset system clock back to Sept
> 9, 1999 and NONE of the cron jobs got executed (/usr/adm/cron/log file
> does not have any entry after Jan 3, 2000) Please suggest me what needs
> to be done. I am sure this experience will teach me every single minor
> details which I don't know about cron.

> Thank you very much,

> Anup

cron did not run when system date rolled backward

Post by Deifie » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

We did the same test with our system. We advanced the date to 12/31/99 11:45
pm and tested the application we are about to go about to implement. So far
the software ran fine after time hit y2k and work also after we rolled back
date. My question is aside from cron jobs what are other system jobs
affected by such kind of test.

Thanks in advance
Ed

Post by Bruce Mun » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Hi everyone,

>We did the same test with our system. We advanced the date to 12/31/99 11:45
>pm and tested the application we are about to go about to implement. So far
>the software ran fine after time hit y2k and work also after we rolled back
>date. My question is aside from cron jobs what are other system jobs
>affected by such kind of test.

It's difficult to tell. Make(1) was mentioned earlier, because it has
dependencies on file timestamps, and obviously, if you roll the date
forward then files may be created that have a date well into the future.
Therefore to be absolutely certain, you need to restore the system as it
was prior to the testing.

If it can be avoided, I would recommend against performing this sort of
test on systems that are being used for other purposes. We did all our
millenium testing on lab machines, and my recommendation was that when
y2k testing was finished, the machines be re-installed from scratch (in our
case this was easier than backing up and restoring.

1. Setting date based on another remote systems date?

Hi,

I'm pretty much a sun person and now trying to set up an hp running hpux 9.07. When
on a sun there is a command called rdate which can be used to set the
date of that system based on another system's date. Well I want to do the
same thing with my hp. Does anyone know the command I would use. I want to
set the date on my hp based on the date of a sun running solaris.

Thanks Michele

2. Adding non-HP Disks to HP-UX 10, Please Help!!

3. 10.20: at/cron Problem: bad date

4. URGENT : Recherche ParaisoSsk + SeaBugsSsk

5. Running Dos Progs on HPUK

6. HSMODEM & STinG

7. running 'top' and capturing output inside cron

8. Bug or Feature?

9. Running Ignite from a cron job

10. Run Cron job as user bin and group bin

11. Can't Run Cron Jobs on 712

12. Cron doesn't run programs

13. /usr/adm/inetd.sec ``*'' character is not doing what the man page says!